• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who here bought these Hemetts?

Stalwart

I want that engine, I don't NEED it, mine runs great and burns no oil, especially for a Detroit but it looks SOOOOOOO NICE!

jimbo*

Bruce, the HEMTT's all have the 3.5" fifthwheel, only the M1001/2 M.A.N. had the smaller fifthwheel for the pershing missile.
If you change it out, I would be interested in purchasing it from you.
Your trailer options are severely limited, as the fifthwheel height is 60", as I'm sure you are aware.
I have a trailer available, it is a GLCM LCC designed for the M1013 M.A.N. tractor.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/20169-need-info-trailer.html
I have more/better pics available.
Oh, and it's not oversize.

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
JIMBO, I am not sure I want to sell the 5th wheel since I'd like to keep it in case I switch back for some reason, or end up selling the truck (the future buyer may want to put it back to original). However, I do have a 5th wheel that I believe came off of a Freightliner (or so the description said) that accepts the oversized king pin. I can get pics for you. I got the 5th wheel in a lot with a bunch of other stuff that I wanted.

I am a bit away from even getting the tractor home, but I will definitely consider your trailer! Thanks!

mudguppy

Bruce, Jimbo - when this was brought up the other day i was doing a little searching on the net and quickly found it interesting that Olive-Drab mentions a 2" kingpin option that depends on MHE crane configuration. yet, everywhere else only mentions the 3.5" kingpin, though mainly in conjunction with the Patriot missle system. however, even OshKosh only mentions the 3.5" kingpin, even in the 'LET' configuration (which i've never heard of before?).

i just thought the single mentioning of a 2" kingpin odd because it tied it to the presense of the crane. so it'd be real interesting to see what size 5th wheel is found on a '983 w/ MHE.

just some thoughts. [thumbzup]

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Travis, that is what I was referring to. I had read somewhere that the tractors were either equipped with a midships recovery winch or the material handling crane, but not both. I further heard that the Patriot tractors were equipped with the midships winch. I heard that the other M983s with the materials handling cranes had the standard fifth wheel. I am not saying that is true...only that is what I heard. Right now, it escapes me where I heard or read that. I will have to think about that a bit.

jimbo*

I occasionally see M983's and others fresh from Oshkosh at a truck stop I frequent. I have seen both versions of the M983, and both had the large fifthwheel on them.
Maybe the smaller fifthwheel version was never actually produced.?.?.?.?

And no, I do not have pics, ruined the camera drooling.

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have some off-shoot questions here....

1. Will the 3.5" fifth wheel hitch kingpins as small as 2.5":?:

2. What are the "standard kingpins" on the various trailers by type - M172 etc.:?:

If I were to bid on and win such a trailer, I would hope that a commercial tractor could drag it home for me.

Thanks in advance.
(Apologies for this minor thread hijacking.)

Last edited:

jimbo*

I had read somewhere that the tractors were either equipped with a midships recovery winch or the material handling crane, but not both. I further heard that the Patriot tractors were equipped with the midships winch. I heard that the other M983s with the materials handling cranes had the standard fifth wheel.
Bruce, it appears you heard correctly.
I made a pickup last week, and lo and behold, there is an M983 sitting there.
I crawl over it, it has the mid-ship recovery winch, and the standard(2.5") fifthwheel.
The yard guy knows military vehicles, so I ask him what's up with the small fifthwheel?
He tells me there are still Pershing missile units out there, but using the M983W/W instead of the M.A.N. M1002/1002/1003.
He was a Patriot missile crewman when he was in, so I trust his knowlegde.

Now I'm going to stir the pot a little; this M983 is not going back to Oshkosh for reset, it is up for FEP, and then maybe even GL.
Starts and runs!

Mudstone

same reason i hated embed media.... "i cant tell you where i am tom but look at that town that noone who lives here or is fighting against us has ever seen before" :roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks