• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who here has done 12.00r20? Deuce stock

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have searched and read a few threads where people talked about doing this in 2009 but no body actually shows it done. I have looked into the 395/85r20 and the 11.00r20 and I really like the 12.00. From measurements they fit well under the 48"required by a non bobbed or lifted m35. On old threads I saw people saying it fits on stock deuce rims.. I see a few next weeks auction and would love to buy them. Can they run duals without rubbing in the back? What is required to run as single? Do I need a spacer of sorts? Other than tubes what will I need. Really I want some proof it's done and what the pros and cons are. I look forward to some cool pics and educational posts.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"dont think about it too much... Just do what you think is possible even if no one else thinks so. "

dmetalmiki

Well yes you CAN do it, but there are more than one way to carry out that job. I wanted 1200x20 singled out wheels on my (old deuce which I have now swapped back into my collection).
I had the opportunity to get 6 perfect wheels and tires from an AEC Militant British army truck. I liked their profile so much that I made adapters to fit the deuce hubs drilling 6 holes and countersinking for the wheel nuts. 6 stud. (and the centre hubs on the rear) then drilled the adapters to 10 stud to suit the Militant Wheels. The wheels all Track in line now (like the Russian truck singles) sitting nicely at the outer width that gives great looks a good stance and handling. Both on and off road.
I have posts from years back that should show the way I performed this. (might have to check old hard drives).
I will look for pictures in old files of the finished job.
And the R.P.M.s came down, the cruise speed went up, and the top speed A LOT.(British Military Tires are High profile).
M.P.G, Went up a lot. 2000 rpm cruise at 55, mpg 15.

dmetalmiki

I can't find my relevant old hard drives, I will have a search later. But to show you my way of completing the modification look at my posts of old in pictures of "deks collection", and some mods.

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
demetalmiki, I see the close up of the wheel hard to see. did you need to single it out? What tube are you running?

dmetalmiki

Yes I single out all my (Army) trucks. It's Just my feeling that all combat equipment ought to have that configuration. Better easier and more stable steering, (did you ever see a Russian truck get stuck? or on duels? (Danish and Swedish deuces are usually singled out And have diff locks)). especially in the wet etc. The inner tubes came in the wheels which were all complete and inflated and as new. The tubes are Goodyear 900/1200 20s.
I could have dueled it out with those (type of) tires, as they have a fairly Narrow but higher profile. However, you could run with about 15 PSI in the rears or get a REAL bone shaking ride (Unloaded). "Normal" profile military tires for these trucks are generally Too Wide in section to dual up at 1200x20. And the ride and steering (under-steer)? As mentioned previously, It IS your truck, and you can (obviously) "plan" as you please. (within reason). A caution here though, (my 1/2 penne'th) Think construction and use, and insurance.

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

I do not understand, On and off what?
here is part of my original post to you, which should have clarified my experience.

The wheels all Track in line now (like the Russian truck singles) sitting nicely at the outer width that gives great looks a good stance and handling. Both on and off road.

Remember, that single wheel configurations "track across the same ground" whilst Duals "plough" through mud etc breaking new ground ALL the time!. (and building nice "slicks" to slip on between the rears!).

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
1200/20s aren't very easy to find though. If you do go that route, I'd look for some M135 rims since they have a minor set back, it will give you a tad wider stance.

dmetalmiki

On. Or off road I apologize auto correct erased some words
Ok that's fine, It is sometimes hard to follow posts while working (and translating) You might like this picture I have found of my "old" truck which is now back in my possession (collection). A lot of work to get it how I want it, and fully safe and serviceable, but every one here likes it, and it will carry a jeep to shows with the ramps that slide under the bed, with locking hatch door. (modification) And the kids can camp in the back also, definitely a great utility vehicle. And it (just) MIGHT be A barred there as well, as I had fitted Palm couplings on the front to facilitate towing safely. And there is in addition a military light cable coupling under the front offside wing.

Attachments

Last edited:

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok that's fine, It is sometimes hard to follow posts while working (and translating) You might like this picture I have found of my "old" truck which is now back in my possession (collection). A lot of work to get it how I want it, and fully safe and serviceable, but every one here likes it, and it will carry a jeep to shows with the ramps that slide under the bed, with locking hatch door. (modification) And the kids can camp in the back also, definitely a great utility vehicle. And it (just) MIGHT be A barred there as well, as I had fitted Palm couplings on the front to facilitate towing safely. And there is in addition a military light cable coupling under the front offside wing.
Good looking truck! What rims were you running

dmetalmiki

The wheels and tires are off an AEC militant British Army truck. And I made the adapters you see in the picture myself, 6 bolt deuce to 10 bolt AEC. How good was it that the AEC Wheels actually FITTED the deuce hubs perfectly. Made the conversion of the plates easy. Unbelievably the scrap yard that had these and knew I had a truck collection rang me and asked if I wanted to clear "all the army tires" from his yard. I arrived in the deuce expecting to purchase 6, 16.5s for my F350 ambulance, And when he said "giz 60 quid for the lot" I drove over to the pile to load 6. "Don't LEAVE the rest" he said! And we piled 40 (yes FORTY!) 16.5s and 6 BRAND NEW 1200x20s from an AEC militant. That HAD to be one of the best bargains I ever received. Ever!.

Last edited:

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I'm happy to hear someone getting good deals. I appreciate all the answers and input from you all. I was hoping someone would have chimed in stating they used stock deuce wheels. I'm trying to minimize the costs if it's safe. But I guess I'll have to watch and try lol 😁

dmetalmiki

OK, FLIP the hubs and go 11x20 as in the m34 trucks. google m34 truck and see what you think. You Can go 11x20 in the duel stock format, but that is a LOT of rubber to be pushing around. You will notice the drag, the ride and the steering effected. Post up what you eventually go with.

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After yesterday's auction I have chosen to go with the 395-8520 due to the cost of the 12 .00

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks