• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who here has used or owns a "Lugwrench"?

creekrider

I just got my first SS a 1970 AM General M35A2 and I have only been able to get one wheel off. I ended up twisting the end off of a 3/4" breaker bar and I even put some heat on the lugs. I did some searching on here and found where someone recommended the Welcome To LugWrench.Biz setup. It was not clear how many have used it or really liked it. Just wanting to see who has used it before I drop $160.00.

Creekrider

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had great luck with the surplus gear reduction lug wrenches. That and a 1" impact.

LOL. "I've tightened these dang lugnuts 3 time and they're still too tight"!

Last edited:

91W350

I have a 42" breaker bar that I stand and jump up and down on, it works pretty good. The surplus gear reduction wrenches are the cat's meow for the dual wheels. Nothing does it better than a quality big impact wrench and about 130 pounds of air pressure.

My Milwaukee 3/4" drive 18 volt impact is what I remove most with now and I put them on with the Milwaukee 1/2" drive. 450 foot pounds to install, 525 to remove. That is tight enough for me.

The big breaker is good insurance....

Like previously said, left and right hand thread has caught more than one guy.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you have the lug wrench at the 12:00 position and pull it towards the front of the truck, that is tighten. If you have the lug wrench at the 12:00 position and pull towards the rear of the truck, that is loosen.

This will only work if someone hasn't changed any of the stock wheel studs. Some install right hand threads all the way around the truck.

willy

lug wrench

I have used the lug wrench I believe it is
This is the one you turn it has like 400 to one ratio it takes off all my nuts off
I also bent a standard bar
Remember you always trun to rear for loosing the nuts,
not mine but some one on this SS net told us.
Now the reduction wrench works only on a A2 with duals not a A3 with sungles and not up front on any one vehicle the 160.00 wrench works on all wheels
Willy

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have used the lug wrench I believe it is
This is the one you turn it has like 400 to one ratio it takes off all my nuts off
I also bent a standard bar
Remember you always trun to rear for loosing the nuts,
not mine but some one on this SS net told us.
Now the reduction wrench works only on a A2 with duals not a A3 with sungles and not up front on any one vehicle the 160.00 wrench works on all wheels
Willy
This information is inacurate. The kit is supposed to include a torque bar that engages the ground so that you can utilize reduction on any lugnut. Works great on fronts and singles just the same.

Woodsplinter

I have one and it's great! I posted information about it in a thread titled "Questions about removing deuce wheels". I don't know how to link you to that thread but I'll post more information if you haven't already seen it.

Attachments

hwcurtice

I saw this and all I could think was he must have some really tight lugnuts on one wheel right now.

And then, I read the second post and probably confirmed it.

The lugwrench tool looks great for the application.

Good luck!

3dAngus

If a trailer or a deuce, and they have not been broken for a while, take it to a tire shop ahd have them break out the big 1" gun and 1.5" socket and have at it, They will tighten them back up so you can get home and break them much more easily. I have had several shops do this and the going rate to loosen with the big 80 pound air gun is $5 per wheel.

Even Gimpy's geared lug wrench (thanks gimpy) can't get them all, especially after they are rusted on there. Al;so, Check with Gimpy for a geared lug wrench before you pay $150.

I had a dryrotted innertube give out on me a couple weeks ago, and since my deuce didn't come with a budwrench or handle, I had to borrow one from deuceaid. I put the budwrench on the lugs, put the handle bar through it and couldn't move any of the lugs. After a good night's sleep, I tried again the next day and put the budwrench on the nuts, supported the opposite end with a scissor jack, and after sliding in the handle bar, I slid a 2.5-ton floorjack handle over the handle bar. I clocked the handles at 10:00, stood on my left foot on the battery box step, and stepped on the jack handle with my right foot. After a little bouncing and then holding the mirror bracket, I put some heavy leg pressure on it. The lugs busted with a crack that sounded like a gunshot. Here's what the successful lug-buster setup looked like.
:idea:

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
When I had to pull the duels on the 819 to change the upper touque bars, I BROKE 1 3/4 ratchet, 2 3/4 drive extensons, 2 bud nuts (thats right, twisted 2 in half), required a hot wrench) and 1 stud, I used a 8' bar to stand on, real hard on the back when the tight becomes untight, ALL 40 was a fight, when the tire shop put the new tires on, must of run the 1" inpact at 150 psi.

Before anybody ask, I was going in the RIGHT direction

kennys@wi.rr.com

I use a jack stand and some blocks of wood. The jackstand has a nice V in it that works like a pivot for the lug bar and the blocks bring it to the right height. Works well for me. Except when I broke a lug wrench in half. Didn't even bounce on that one.

wdbtchr

I haven't had to change any tires yet on my 5 tons yet, but I have one of the geared OD wrenches when the time comes and a heavy duty 3/4" impact that I changed tires with on my old International dump truck. I will probably get a chance to try it out in the near future because I have an almost bald outer dual on my M54a2.

What I did want to say was about my '99 Chevy Tahoe when it came from the factory. The first time I rotated the tires, I couldn't break the lugnuts with my big 4 way. To make a long story short I wound up using a 3/4" breaker bar and an 8' piece of 1 1/2" pipe cheater to break them loose with the help of soldier #2. They finally did give, can't help wonder if the guy on the assembly line dosed off while tightening the lug nuts or if it was built on a Friday or Monday.:roll:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I haven't had to change any tires yet on my 5 tons yet, but I have one of the geared OD wrenches when the time comes and a heavy duty 3/4" impact that I changed tires with on my old International dump truck. I will probably get a chance to try it out in the near future because I have an almost bald outer dual on my M54a2.

What I did want to say was about my '99 Chevy Tahoe when it came from the factory. The first time I rotated the tires, I couldn't break the lugnuts with my big 4 way. To make a long story short I wound up using a 3/4" breaker bar and an 8' piece of 1 1/2" pipe cheater to break them loose with the help of soldier #2. They finally did give, can't help wonder if the guy on the assembly line dosed off while tightening the lug nuts or if it was built on a Friday or Monday.:roll:
Real wonder that you did not just break the studs

jbingvtx

Am I the only one that has to tighten my lugnuts on the deuce and M105? Part of my pre-trip is to put the wrench on all of them and re-torque the ones that have loosened up.

steelandcanvas

:idea: Tighten the lug nuts to spec, then paint a line from one side of the nut to the other passing over the end of the stud. A quick glance on a pre-op inspection tells you right away if your nuts need to addressed or not. A few Members in the Club painted their nuts black and handpainted a white line across the nut and stud. [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks