• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who is running wvo/wmo in there cucv?

xenocath

searching.............
i have been adding wmo home heating oil trans fluid etc to my truck, half tank diesel half tank whatever.i have a 2 micron racor watersep filter and the truck runs fine smokes pretty good but runs fine. if i get the mix too oil heavy truck starts take awhile. just play with it till your satisfied. every gallon of diesel i do not have to buy is a bonus to me

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did not think that was even possible to run those fuels in a 6.2 or 6.5 GM diesel engine.

kentuckycucv

A diesel motor will run on a variety of flamable oils, corn oil , cotton seed oil, soy bean oil, motor oil transmission fluid... just about any kind of oil. That is why the Germans invented it. Viscosity is an issue...
I have mixed 90 weight, used transmission fluid, used oil and used cooking oil in my fuel and ran great... even better than streight diesel. Soy bean oil is a great lubricant and makes the engine run quieter....less diesel knocking.

tgtaylor64

Just started out with WMO/WVO in my M1009. Small scale at first. Used coffee filters to filter and then poured into the tank. Today it was a little hard to start. Calculated about 45% WVO from a seafood resturant. Diluted it with pump diesel to around 25% and no problems. Got a good supply from my local seafood resturant so I want to increase my capacity some. Drives smoother and quieter. Got my SC fuel blending license and pay the state 0.17 cents per gallon for road use/environmental tax. Sure beats over $3.50 per gallon!

DrJekl

I have mine set up to run it but have not used it yet. I put in the right side tank but want to swap the beds out once I get one with a right side gas hole. It is set up to heat the oil before the filters, then after the filters. Once the oil reaches 140 degrees then it switch from diesel to oil. You can manualy switch back when you are planning to shut down to purge the system with diesel.

jdeoliveira74

I have mine set up to run it but have not used it yet. I put in the right side tank but want to swap the beds out once I get one with a right side gas hole. It is set up to heat the oil before the filters, then after the filters. Once the oil reaches 140 degrees then it switch from diesel to oil. You can manualy switch back when you are planning to shut down to purge the system with diesel.
hey you have any pics of where you mounted tanks and and what you used to hook every thing up
thanks
Jon

DrJekl

I just used a CUCV left tank, reversed the mounts and put it on the right side like the dual tank trucks have. I bought a kit from a guy due to the mess of data out there on what/how to do it. I'll post some stuff when I have some time.

camojcory

I have been running about 30-35% WMO all summer long. I have not noticed ANY difference in MPG or power. The only difference is it does smoke a little more when you get on it and my wallet seems to have more money in it lately.

I went with WMO over WVO, because after doing research, it seemed that you really needed a second HEATED tank for the WVO or varies other mods.

I have done zero mods to my M1009. I have a very simple gravity fed filtration set up that filters down to 10 microns. the whole set up including barrels, filters and electric pump costs me less than $100.

I save about $20-$25 everytime I fill my tank. I will have to drop down to probably around 10% WMO now due to the very cold winters here.

camojcory

I sold my late model silverado and bought the 1009 because i am seriously technology declined (it's truely impressive i can even use the computer well enough to be on this site), so i'm not sure i can figure out how to use the digital camera we have, then upload pics, and then post them, but i will try.

It's a super simple set up. i have (4) 15 gallon barrels. $6 a piece at Macs hardware. 2 for collecting oil from local auto repair shops, 1 elevated on a wooden stand i made with scrap 2x4s, then installed a valve in the side at the very bottom, and 1 sitting under that with a large funnel on it. In between those two barrels i have 3 filter socks hanging from a hook. A 50 micron, 25 micron and a 10 micron, bought from Dudadiesel on ebay for maybe $4 a piece. Stuff one filter sock in side another, then inside the last, so the oil makes one pass through and gets filtered three times.

I bought a small electric transfer pump for about $40.

Step 1. Go to the shop and use the pump to fill collection barrel, takes maybe 3-5 min a barrel.

Step 2. Use pump to transfer oil to elevated barrel at home.

Step 3. Use valve to control flow out bottom of barrel, through filters, into funnel on lower barrel, takes about 10 mins.

Step 4. Use pump to fill 5 gallon gas can to take to the gas station when fueling truck.

Step 5. At station, dump 5 gallons of oil in, then top with 10-12 gallons of diesel (i never let my tank go below 1/4).

pretty simple. i think i will start filtering down to 1 micron though just to make sure i'm getting out as much as possible.

grayw0lf

I run mine on straight WVO as soon as she is up to temp. Be sure to filter well, boil off the H20, & make sure its nice & heated, or goodbye IP.

Fleg

I figured they were not designed for that. That is what I found interesting. I am still learning about diesels. I knew the Multi Fuels would run on WVO and WMO but not the 6.2's
Diesel engines are "designed" to run on many different fuels. The more modern the engine, the more picky it is.

kentuckycucv

i have a filtration system set up and my new 5 micron string waund filters bogged down my system. it takes a lot of PSI to push WVO thru a 5 micron. So I just filtered down to 20 microns and filled up my tank. Its about a 95% wvo mix and my struck is running strong. Anybody know what Micron rating the stock filter is?
Here is my set up. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmtfPcoxQJA[/media]

kentuckycucv

PS Im definatly am not an expert. I have a prefilter heater/ water seperator before the stock filter in my truck... I usually filter down to 10 microns. Run alternate fuels at your own risk.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks