• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who is using thier PTO for anything?

bshupe

I was wondering if anyone here on SS uses the PTO on their CUCV? I have high hopes for using mine for a number of things and am also hoping to do a good photo thread here on what I do and how I set it up.

My question here is mainly to fish out what people here are doing with them now. Is anyone using this great utility on these great trucks?

Thanks!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine still drives the big AC generator in the SECM box. Pasadena 4x4 has a civi Chevy 1 ton with 205 and the same Muncie PTO driving a rear winch.

bshupe

Well maybe we will be the ones to cut new ground here. I am hoping to make something of a utility truck out of a M1008 in that there will be a universal attachment point in the back somewhere that will allow the powering of just about anything you can run from a rotary output.

It would be interesting if anyone wanted to collaborate here with design ideas particularly if anyone has ever tried it before and can at least offer the occasional "that doesnt work" with a reasonable explanation as to why.

With the number of machinist/fabricators there seem to be in the MV community I bet something quite good could be developed.

bshupe

I use mine to hold the door open at the shop. The other two sit on the shelf.
Does that mean you might be willing to part with one of them? I have a door stop around here some place. Ill go out on a limb and mail it to you trusting that you will mail the PTO to me. What do you say? :whistle:

kenz5380

It would be really impressive if someone fabbed up a pto driven snow blower on a CUCV. I've only seen them on tractors and the huge trucks that clear the mountain passes here in Colorado. A pickup with a snow blower up front would be pretty awesome.

spicergear

The NP203 isn't the worst case in the world either and has a PTO port. It's a chain case, but basically everything aside from the NP205's are too.

spicergear

It would be really impressive if someone fabbed up a pto driven snow blower on a CUCV. I've only seen them on tractors and the huge trucks that clear the mountain passes here in Colorado. A pickup with a snow blower up front would be pretty awesome.

Like this? :mrgreen:

PTO driven Schmidt snowblower for Unimog.

Attachments

bshupe

Maybe a mod to the blower to mount a hydraulic motor (scavenged off any number of heavy equipment pieces) and a PTO pump? Might work really good. Am I wrong that the issue with a snow blower is more getting the speed and not so much the torque to move the snow?

spicergear

PTO speed and vehicle ground speed are the keys to that. Well...power too. That pic that I posted is a 4' diameter thrower wheel with the front snow grabbers out another couple inches from the drum. Yeah like a 52-54" wheel! That unit will move 2,400 tons of snow per hour.

Dave87

If you wanna put a snow blower on a truck you'd be better off putting a small engine in the bed ie a SBC or six cylinder motor. I've looked at mounting a blower on a truck I have but it comes down to money. A Guy in town put a blower on his truck and has a SBC in the bed to power the unit. Running a 6.2 pto blower wouldn't work very well since its rpm is direct result of the vehicle speed. By that I mean if you want the pto to spin faster you have to accelerate and since you'd want to move forward at the same time your truck would move faster. Plus I don't think the truck would have enough power to power itself and a big blower.

spicergear

If you wanna put a snow blower on a truck you'd be better off putting a small engine in the bed ie a SBC or six cylinder motor.
Some older Mog's were set up like that; a 240hp 6 cyl Mercedes diesel in the bed with a large gear drive down the back, then a full driveshaft under the truck to the massive front mounted blower. There are several different version of front blowers with this type of drive- this is just one. Oh, and the vehicle speed on PTO driven units is a reason why the Mogs were optioned with all kinds of different transmission set ups.

Attachments

coyote_hunter

What trucks were they stock on? Where does the shaft come out at? Is the shaft rpm related to the motor rpms or the speed of the truck?

Last edited:

axeman

We had a unimog snow blower at work. Sometimes would snow 5 feet at a time. It had a diesel motor on back,pretty sure it was hydrolic setup. Looked like your first picture.