• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who made this M149A2

onthehunt

Tag info:
M149A2
VIN: 3667

Just picked up from GP. Frame rusted out. Has many good parts on it (usable). Talked to the wife about stripping is down and sell what I can off it. She suggested to leave it original (usually gives me grief for buying such items)

Now I’m looking to identify the manufacturer and year built. Tank says 86.

Things I know:
Same frame as every other M149A2 I’ve seen except mine is boxed with a smaller channel creating the box (looks original to me). It has bolted plates to access the spring frame attachment bolts). I don’t know what they call them.

Axle has a raised plate with Rockwell Standard logo on it. From looking up RS, they were in business years before this tank was made.

Trailer has the rear stabilizer leg that I don’t see on newer units.

Landing gear, water boxes, tank, and plumbing all look to been replaced due to no rust.

Govplanet lists this as a US Army Tank Automotive Command.

First post for me and was hoping someone has seen this and would like to share their knowledge on the matter. I’ve spent many hours looking into the M149, M106/107.
IMG_3530.jpegIMG_3524.jpegIMG_3522.jpegIMG_3520.jpeg

Update:
Found another trailer with same frame sold in Texas off Govplanet. It list manufacturer Aero Welding. That’s who made the tank though. It has a tag, but I can’t see the info.

Update: builders that have open frames
(V) I’ve seen tag
Turtle Mountain (v)
Elliot Machine Works
US Army Tank Automotive
Kasel (v)
GIL
Southwest Body (v)

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
149's have a cradle type frame to accommodate the tank and lower center of gravity. Older series like the m107 have a straight frame like a m103/105.

Infrequently an empty 149 frame will be listed. More frequently will be tanks by themselves.

The $ in resale are the bread boxes, valves in the bread boxes and the valves on the tank. Brake components are very cheap and plentiful as the air over hydraulic has been used in dozens of models all the same.

The rims and tires if the upgraded one piece and modern radials would be in demand. Split ring 900x20 not so much.

Which tank does it have? Aluminum, steel, or fiberglass?

Send me a pm if parting, as I am interested in some tid bits....

BTW, your pics did not load.

onthehunt

149's have a cradle type frame to accommodate the tank and lower center of gravity. Older series like the m107 have a straight frame like a m103/105.

Infrequently an empty 149 frame will be listed. More frequently will be tanks by themselves.

The $ in resale are the bread boxes, valves in the bread boxes and the valves on the tank. Brake components are very cheap and plentiful as the air over hydraulic has been used in dozens of models all the same.

The rims and tires if the upgraded one piece and modern radials would be in demand. Split ring 900x20 not so much.

this is the one I bought. In all the pictures, it didn’t show the splitting frame and broken welds from the rust.
stainless tank with damaged to the rear aluminum outer shell. Taiwan water faucets. All parts look to be there. Tires good 1517 date code.
I originally wanted to haul water and transfer to my tanks on my property drip system for my trees. I was going to clean up (paint) and add system to operate brakes, because fully loaded looks to be about 6100 lbs. I’m rethinking this now. Do I fix or use it as yard art with a paint job or piece it out. I’m keeping the tank though.
IMG_3493.pngIMG_3551.jpegIMG_3552.jpegIMG_3509.jpeg

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Frame looks more like rust, not cracks to me. I got one that is a frame dates 1966 with a newer tank, wheels, and other stuff that looks way worse but it seems solid. Older metal flakes like that. If you clean it up, it will serve it's purpose for you fine. That is what I plan to do with mine. It looks way more ugly than yours as it was Woodland pant & then the military painted it Tan on it's own. It's all flaking off & looks like a turd. But, it holds water & what not.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks