• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who made this tool? (Alternator belt tensioning doodad)

Matt1031

Last week I had to tighten the belts on my 1031. As most of you probably know, The usual work-around of sticking a bar through the hole in the alternator bracket doesn't work too well on CUCV's. On 1031's in particular, it's darn near impossible to do with the usual pry bar method.

On the driver's side, the governor for the PTO is in the way.

On the passenger's side, there's a bunch of stuff in the way also.

So as I was sitting there trying to figure out how the heck I'm supposed to tighten the belts with all this stuff in the way, I remembered I had a special tool just for this problem in the bottom drawer of my tool chest. I literally had forgotten it was there. I've owned it for many years, but the only time I ever NEEDED it before was while tightening belts on a few oddball vans and motorhomes back in the day before everything had serpentine belts

The tool itself looks like this:

The small square hook fits in the recess next to the lug of a Delco alternator like this:

So it's a handy little tool and spared GM's (probably long retired) engineers from a few curse words. Only problem is that I have no idea who made the thing, if you can still get one, or where you can still get it. All it says on the tool is "Pat Pend" -- no numbers, mfg name, codes or anything else. I do remember that I got it off a Matco truck about 15 years ago and it wasn't made by Matco. I thought maybe Lisle (specialty tools) made it, but it's not on their site anywhere.

P.S.
Sorry you have to click for pics. SS is just flaky about displaying direct links and the pics go over the limit for attachment.

Andy1234

The tool shown was probably made by Kent Moore (they are the past and current supplier of specialty tools to GM).

A fast google search turned up the part number as C-3841-A, but that's not shown in any of their current catalogs.

One could probably make one out of 3/16" steel.

Andy

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pics should auto resize when you attach them. We do prefer the pics be posted, over links to a hosted site(if that site goes down or you remove the pics this thread suffers). I understand if you have an issue. Just putting this out there for everyone to see.

I would bet your local Snap-On or other brand, mobile tool sales people could help with one of those tools.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So it's a handy little tool and spared GM's (probably long retired) engineers from a few curse words. Only problem is that I have no idea who made the thing, if you can still get one, or where you can still get it. All it says on the tool is "Pat Pend" -- no numbers, mfg name, codes or anything else. I do remember that I got it off a Matco truck about 15 years ago and it wasn't made by Matco. I thought maybe Lisle (specialty tools) made it, but it's not on their site anywhere.

P.S.
Sorry you have to click for pics. SS is just flaky about displaying direct links and the pics go over the limit for attachment.
Wonder if it could have been made by this guy? Has his name on it!
Looks like a very useful tool that might get made here.

Attachments

diesel583

I've had mine for over 20 years, so this is a guess but I think it was made bt Thextron? Maybe. Works on a lot of cars other than GM

Jake0147

Check eBay for a "Fan Belt Tightener"...

It's a generic "stamp your name here" tool that a couple of companies knock out a bunch, but comes to you in many, many brands.

cucv1833

I just did a search on fan belt tightener and found a Lisle (12400 Lisle Corporation
Fan Belt Tightener) its $6.00 i may pick one up. I usally just tighten them up by hand with no problem But for 6 bucks might as well have a tool

Lisle 12400 Lisle Corporation
Fan Belt Tightener