• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who made this wheel?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This 20" wheel with a 37" tire has run flats, I wonder if it is actually a two piece wheel?
Looks like a Rhino wheel.

Attachments

Last edited:

Wildland

I took these two-piece OEM split rims and 37" tires off my 07' 1097R1, they weighed between 225 and 350 pounds depending on if they had the runflat insert or not. I replaced them with OEM Dodge Ram 3500 rims (correct offset) and 20 ply radials, what a difference on the road. I also installed a new front-end kit from Midwest, a steering box, and a 4 wheel alignment, but it all started with rim/wheel replacement.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is what they looked like to me, a whole bunch of fake bolts
I wonder how they got run flats in them?
They are also supposed to protect the brakes from small arms fire, I would guess any thick aluminum wheels could claim that.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
That is what they looked like to me, a whole bunch of fake bolts
I wonder how they got run flats in them?
They are also supposed to protect the brakes from small arms fire, I would guess any thick aluminum wheels could claim that.
Same way we do them on 22.5 and 24.5 wheels. Runflat is a bolt together composite type. You spread the tir3 off the wheel and reach in and bolt it together.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dang thing is built on a civy chassis, looks like a few well placed rounds between the tire and fender would end things pretty quick but I guess the same could be said about even an up armored HMMWV.
I guess crew survival is the most important thing, one cool thing is high voltage contacts at the door handles, arm it and anyone trying to open the doors will be in for a big surprise, pepper spray nozzles on the rear view mirrors, also locking bolts on the doors which weigh in at around 400lb ea, the 007 smoke is a joke though. would make an interesting grocery hauler.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can see why the military uses two piece rims instead. Looks to be much easier then that process.
Looks like a much less effective run flat and does not look like it offers much in the way of bead lock ether.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took these two-piece OEM split rims and 37" tires off my 07' 1097R1, they weighed between 225 and 350 pounds depending on if they had the runflat insert or not. I replaced them with OEM Dodge Ram 3500 rims (correct offset) and 20 ply radials, what a difference on the road. I also installed a new front-end kit from Midwest, a steering box, and a 4 wheel alignment, but it all started with rim/wheel replacement.

Without runflats it is my feeling that the vehicle is dangerous in case of blow-out.

Opinions vary

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter

A wheel/tire/runflat should be in the 150-160 lb range, and without the runflat should be in the 120-130 lbs range.
If your tire assemblies really weigh as much as you say, they must be filled with ballast of some sort.
225 or 350 sounds more like pairs of tires than singles for the HMMWV.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks