• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who says a m1009 cant HAUL

Crash_AF

The biggest limitation for the Blazer as a towing platform is the wheelbase. I don't like pulling large trailers with short wheelbase vehicles because it's too easy to get into a wag the dog situation.

But, you've gotta run what'cha brung and get'er done...

Later

hovenga67

I understand the worry about the short wheel base but I have less problems with that using the blazer than I did my 3/4 suburban, but part of that is in the shocks. I put magnum hd shocks on because I knew I was going to use it to haul. I have been pulling this trailer for 8 years thousands of miles so I know pretty well what it is going to do. The next upgrade is taking the 3/4 springs and suspension of my suburban and putting in the m1009. The Suburban is getting a duramax swap and 1 ton axles.
Brent

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For me and many of my colleagues, the question isn't "can you?" , it's "should you?" Case in point. We had a member here that had a 40' gooseneck. He drug that thing all over the countryside delivering goods for other collectors using a hemi powered 3/4 ton Dodge.. He towed a deuce dump for me from MN to FL. The thing just plumb wore out in no time. Guarantee you rear end troubles will be along shortly. The crush sleeves can't take the weight forever. The short wheelbase complicates things as well. Should be easy to back with though.

hovenga67

Once the suburban is done the Blazer won't be towing nearly as much. It will be doing mostly plowing. When I read someone asking about towing with one of these the usual response is 2000 pounds. I just wanted to point out it can and will take more. It must be maintained. I went through the drivetrain on this so I know its right. New fluids, brakes, U joiunts, ball joints, shocks, you get the point. the body is rusty but its all new underneath. In a few years it will get a new tub. I also dont drive like a nut when I have a load on. It isn't 3/4 hd but it gets the job done.
Brent

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The biggest limitation for the Blazer as a towing platform is the wheelbase. I don't like pulling large trailers with short wheelbase vehicles because it's too easy to get into a wag the dog situation.

But, you've gotta run what'cha brung and get'er done...

Later
And the brakes . The trailer better have excellent brakes with that load.

Skinny

Yeah it can be done, just like kissing your sister.

You are not only creating an unsafe situation very quickly (who cares what trailer brakes you have, try emergency stopping that train wreck) but are clearly exceeding the GCVW which opens you up to some serious liability if you ever get in an accident. This could cause your insurance company to drop your coverage or any representation/compensation and could also bring some type of legal recourse from someone involved. If you do it, that's fine...it's an awesome free country. Posting it on the internet as photographic proof and telling others it can be done is just plain stupid. You are setting a bad example for MV's and SS members/readers.

hovenga67

Get off your high horse. I'm not saying everyone should do what I do. Just pointing out that it will haul more then most of you think. I'm in rural iowa not in the big city. I am defensive driver. I have done more to and know more them most of you about these trucks. This site has helped me to do some of things I didn't know but some of you are stuck up b holes.

Keith_J

I just swapped the pintle hook out on my step son's 1009, compared to the one on my 1031, there is very little meat back there. The 1031 has a pair of diagonal braces going to the frame rails, the 1009 just has a 1-1/2" square tube cross bar. Both are marginal as far as strength to trailer, the 1008/28/31 hitches are much stronger in pull.

I would not tow anything more than a 3500 pound trailer with the bumper hitch on a 1009. 5000 pounds with the other CUCV platforms, on road.

Skinny

I always see people asking what the can haul with the m1009...I have been close to 20k with truck trailer and load a couple times.
So how does this seem ok? Who cares where you live, 20k lbs should only be pulled with a 2 ton plus rated medium class truck. Even the new fancy diesel 1 tons can pull (key word is pull not stop) that, still makes it a dumb move with the tractor being so small. You are aware that loads that big are in a 5th wheel arrangement for a reason.

hovenga67

I'm not using a bumper hitch. I used a slide in receiver. I have had zero problems stopping. Like I said i have everything new on this truck and trailer as far as brakes. It's fine if you don't like what I do. Most of the time I am around 16k with everything. Sometimes you have to do with what you have. When my suburban is done it will be set up to haul. Fully boxed frame big braked duramax. So this is only temporary. Relax a little.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get off your high horse. I'm not saying everyone should do what I do. Just pointing out that it will haul more then most of you think.
I know what it can move. I also know what it should and shouldn't move.

I'm in rural iowa not in the big city. I am defensive driver.
Let me know how that helps when a kid darts out in front of you.

I have done more to and know more them most of you about these trucks.
That's pretty arrogant considering you have no idea who most of us are or what we've done with these trucks.

This site has helped me to do some of things I didn't know but some of you are stuck up b holes.
Attitude like that, calling members names isn't going to be tolerated here. I'd check the attitude at the door in further posts.

hovenga67

I have never been anything more then helpful here in my posts or just sharing pics. I didn't call anyone specific names. Just that it seems like when people don't go exactly with the flow some of you get up tight. I didn't mean anything personal towards anyone. I guess this is why I don't post much here. And as far experience goes I'm not arrogant. I just know what I can do and have done. I'm more than willing to help anyone anytime. If you knew me personally maybe you would understand. As far as unexpected I have been there. With my m1008 I had 2 kids walk in front of me on a green light. It was a highway so I was going 45 I took the ditch to keep from killing them both. Back to my m1009. I put a lot of work into it mechanically but the body is bad. I'm on the look it for a new tub for it. I love these old army trucks. Have a nice day.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Welcome to steelsoldiers

pm sent
Hmm, interesting.

But back to the OP. Please step back for a moment to review this thread. You posted up some dangerous practices, but ended your first post with "flame away". It would seem that you posted this purely to spur on conflict? I'm just trying to understand it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the load posted(picture), are you legal (weight/registration wise) for your state?

hovenga67

I wasn't looking to start an argument. I just knew some would more than likely go off about the size of load and they did. I don't know the legal weight. I'm on back roads and taking it slow when I am this heavy. It still has drum brakes in the rear. Like I said I was just trying to point out they will haul more than you think when setup properly. I wouldn't take this through Minneapolis with that much weight but a lighter car on the trailer say 13k total is definitely do able.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks