• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who says a m1009 cant HAUL

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never been anything more then helpful here in my posts or just sharing pics.
Nor were you questioned on that. Thanks for your contributions.

I didn't call anyone specific names.
No one specific, just a group of people. The difference is?

Just that it seems like when people don't go exactly with the flow some of you get up tight.
Perhaps it's because we are thinking of the greater good. You don't see the inherent dangers of what you are doing. We do as a community. When we pointed them out, you got uptight. If you wipe something out, you blemish the hobby. That's not a risk worth taking in my opinion. There seems to be a common sense factor getting overlooked in all this. I've flat towed a deuce before with a 1 ton pickup. Not overly proud of that but glad I didn't kill any innocent bystanders. When I look back at that, I cringe at what could have happened. I will never again do such an ignorant thing.

I didn't mean anything personal towards anyone. I guess this is why I don't post much here. And as far experience goes I'm not arrogant. I just know what I can do and have done. I'm more than willing to help anyone anytime. If you knew me personally maybe you would understand.
That is a 2 way street as well. I'm sure others here feel the same way about themselves, they just aren't throwing it out there. I think for the most part, everyone here is willing to help.

As far as unexpected I have been there. With my m1008 I had 2 kids walk in front of me on a green light. It was a highway so I was going 45 I took the ditch to keep from killing them both.
The late Tigger did a similar maneuver to save lives and put an 18 wheeler in a ditch at great personal sacrifice. I applaud anyone who shows gallantry by doing this. With that said, I can almost certainly guarantee that such a crisis maneuver in your M1009 towing 14,000# won't go quite as planned.

Back to my m1009. I put a lot of work into it mechanically but the body is bad. I'm on the look it for a new tub for it. I love these old army trucks. Have a nice day.
In summary from a mods point of view. If you want to do this kind of thing, it's your choice. You may be opening yourself up to litigation should something bad happen. Posting about it on a forum could only complicate any legal proceedings. Think hard about posting things like this in the future if you would.

tim292stro

If you are over 10K, and go outside 100 miles radius from your home in CA - you fall under federal rules, log book, medical exam, and CDL. I am aware that the VIN decode also tells you what GM designed the brakes to support in GVWR/GCVW, none of the light duty stuff is rated for more than 12K combined. You probably also exceeded the design tongue weight of 450lbs for the vehicle - it doesn't matter if you put a 12K hitch on a vehicle that's rated for 5K or less - you are limited to the lowest rating (think: "You are the weakest link!!!").

I'm disturbed by the "I'm a defensive driver!" comment in the same thread as "I have been close to 20k with truck trailer and load a couple times." I'll bet the statement of "I hauled a f350 powerstroke home I had to get running for a customer the other day and thought I would post up a pic," never made you consider you are publicly admitting you are running a commercial operation, and using that tow vehicle for commercial purposes. Again, federal rules probably apply.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There seems to be a common sense factor getting overlooked in all this. I've flat towed a deuce before with a 1 ton pickup. Not overly proud of that but glad I didn't kill any innocent bystanders. When I look back at that, I cringe at what could have happened. I will never again do such an ignorant thing.
I had to tow my Deuce and M105 to my house one time. Emergency to get it home. My "Winged" Dodge 1500 4x4 did it but the most it normally tows is our travel trailer. 4-wheel disk brakes and brakes on both axles of the trailer and everything working. Reese type hitch with load leveling and anti-sway bar. I had it up to speed on the interstate once. Now I drive around 50 to 55 and tick a lot of people off.

ke5eua

If you are over 10K, and go outside 100 miles radius from your home in CA - you fall under federal rules, log book, medical exam, and CDL. I am aware that the VIN decode also tells you what GM designed the brakes to support in GVWR/GCVW, none of the light duty stuff is rated for more than 12K combined. You probably also exceeded the design tongue weight of 450lbs for the vehicle - it doesn't matter if you put a 12K hitch on a vehicle that's rated for 5K or less - you are limited to the lowest rating (think: "You are the weakest link!!!").
You are aware that a cdl isn't needed for anything under 26,001 lbs. That is the federal standard. CA is special, very special when it comes to its laws.

Ask any long haul driver and they will tell you they hate going to CA because of its outrageous laws.

As far as none of the light duty stuff is rated for more than 12k combined, you are aware that a 3500 / 350 falls in the light duty category.

If you are using your 10,001 or higher gvw for commercial purpose then you are required to comply with fmcsa rules and regulations. CDL isn't required till you hit 26,001 lbs but you are required to do medical and logs.

Light Duty Trucks

The light duty trucks comprise of commercial truck classes 1, 2 and 3. The class is determined by the GVWR of the vehicle.

Class 1 – This class of truck has a GVWR of 0 to 6,000 pounds (0 to 2,722kg).
Class 2 – This class of truck has a GVWR of 6,001 to 10,000 pounds (2,722 to 4,536 kg).
Class 3 – This class of truck has a GVWR of 10,001 to 14,000 pounds (4,536 to 6,350 kg).
Medium Duty Trucks

The medium duty trucks comprise of commercial truck classes 4, 5 and 6. The class is determined by the GVWR of the vehicle.

Class 4 – This class of truck has a GVWR of 14,001 to 16,000 pounds (6,351 to 7,257 kg).
Class 5 – This class of truck has a GVWR of 16,001 to 19,500 pounds (7,258 to 8,845 kg).
Class 6 – This class of truck has a GVWR of 19,501 to 26,000 pounds (8,846 to 11,793 kg).
Heavy Duty Trucks

The heavy duty trucks comprise of commercial truck classes 7 and 8. The class is determined by the GVWR of the vehicle. Class 7 and 8 vehicles require that the driver have a Class B CDL to operate the vehicle.

Class 7 – This class of truck has a GVWR of 26,001 to 33,000 pounds (11,794 to 14,969 kg).
Class 8 – This class of truck has a GVWR of greater than 33,001 pounds (14,969 kg), and includes all tractor trailers.

Last edited:

Skinny

This is all great info to know for anyone reading this. Thank for putting all those weight ratings together.

Note to self...stay out of CA :)

tim292stro

...CA is special, very special when it comes to its laws...
Having lived here for 25+ years, I agree - we "breed them smart but make them dumb" here, lots of ideas but no rationality filter. :)

...As far as none of the light duty stuff is rated for more than 12k combined, you are aware that a 3500 / 350 falls in the light duty category...
I apologize for making a cluster {expletive} of this - but really it's the manufacturers who do it, in the 80's GM was calling anything with a rating over 10,001lbs combined "medium duty". I'm just guessing here, but it probably to KISS for the sales people and marketing people, and has nothing to do with the federal definition of the vehicle (a common point of forehead whacking for many I talk to). I hate the mixing of lbs and kg in American standards - we failed to make the metric switch stick for anything practicable except engineering.

GVWR for the M1009 from the data sheet is 6400lbs, max towing rating is 3000lbs - combined is 9400lbs.

All in standard pounds, not metric kilos - and something to this effect should be on the dataplate in the vehicle (really any vehicle). Anything over 10K-lbs in an M1009 is playing with fire - going over that would require a major rework of the vehicle for safety: brake master cylinder, brake sizing, and axle ratings. Yes there is margin in the design but it's there to be margin for error for the engineer designing the vehicle. It's not intended to be used on a regular basis by the driver - also I don't disparage those who do something once in a pinch for the sake of safety, like helping pull someone to the side of the road - emergencies are just that, and most LEO will not go after you for that if you did it with reasonable consideration for the potential effects and safety. Of course YMMV in your situation.

...If you are using your 10,001 or higher gvw for commercial purpose then you are required to comply with fmcsa rules and regulations... ...you are required to do medical and logs...
This was the heart of what I was pointing at in my post - memory is sketchy at best on this stuff, and I was typing over a rushed lunch. Thanks for adding the clarity here it was federal FMCSA regs not CDL that I meant to reference.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thread touched on some very sore spots with me (LITERALLY). I rarely get this worked up over a thread, but this one got me going.
:soapbox:

To the OP: Please consider how your actions could impact the lives of others. When I was 11 years old, I was in a very serious car accident that should've killed me and my family. I was riding in a 1981 Plymouth Reliant K Station Wagon. The weather was beautiful - bright sunny day with barely a cloud in the sky. We were at a red light in a K Mart parking lot. Directly across the street was a grocery store. The road was two lane in both directions with a center turning lane. The light turned green, and my mother proceeded into the intersection to cross the road to get to the grocery store. We were struck in the passenger side (T-boned) by a white pickup truck travelling at over 60 MPH that was heavily overloaded. He raced towards the intersection because he was late to complete the job at a nearby gas station that was under construction. The light turned red for him. His brakes failed because his truck was overloaded by 4,000 lbs. The investigating officers estimated that he plowed into us at 55 MPH. (The road was a 45 MPH zone.) Instead of our Reliant K heading across the road, we were pushed 100 yards down the road. The car was trashed. My brother was in the passenger front seat. My mother drove, and I sat behind her. My grandmother was next to me in the back seat.

My brother's skull had multiple fractures. The impact was so severe that he had passenger side door glass embedded in his face for years following the accident. He suffered permanent brain damage and facial scarring. My mother's head hit the steering wheel with so much force that she bent the wheel over. She has chronic headaches to this day as a result. I have permanent chronic whiplash damage, neck, and back pain from the accident. I spent a week wondering if my older brother was going to die in the hospital. It is by the grace of God that no one died in that wreck.

Your willful negligence could injure or kill someone. I am appalled that you knowingly violate laws and safety protocol, and rationalize it by stating that you only do so on back roads. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT ROADS YOU ARE ON OR HOW FAST YOU ARE GOING. YOU ARE THREATENING THE LIVES OF EVERYONE AROUND YOU. I take personal offense to your actions, sir. It is people like you that cause irreparable injury/death to others, even though you have no intent to do so. Open your eyes. Think of how your actions could change the lives of an innocent family.

Life is priceless. Buy a truck that can accomplish your objectives safely.
:rant:

Last edited:

tequilaiam

I used to tow a sportbike with a TDI beetle. The US manual didn't mention any sort of towing capacity but the european version of the same said it was capable of 1500 lbs. So was I in the wrong? Not sure.

Used to get lots of strange looks. I told people the car did just fine but in terms of horsepower the bike should really be towing the car.

ka1shu

maint truck.jpgmaint truck 2.jpg

The before and after results of driving overloaded. Was coming home from picking up this truck from former Loring AFB when I got rear ended by a "distracted" driver. The impact forced me into the ditch and rolled over. Lost two trucks, trailer and almost my life. Thanks, Doug

original

I'll say a m1009 can't haul. I'll also add the m1008 to that list. I've tried towing small loads (2000lb) through these winding WV hills with both vehicles. Even the M1008 with its low gearing can't hold reasonable speed. I've topped out hills at 10-15mph. Its not very comforting when you feel like the tow vehicles is just going to run out of power and stop mid climb. I'm sure they do better on steamrolled land, but anyone who has any mountainous terrain will know these vehicles can barely make the haul empty.

SRB1976

I pulled a 80s one ton dually Ford that broke down with my M1009 but it was on the ground not on a trailer, for about a mile to the Oreilys parking lot. That's the heaviest load I've had on it.

mightybaldone

I added a transmission cooler and flat tow a M151. Even towed a 18 ft trailer with a M151 (trailer has brakes) with no problem. Also installed a class III/IV hitch. I've towed at one time 400 miles one way but the most important thing to remember is safety and not over drive your vehicle or load.

Skinny

View attachment 503359View attachment 503360

The before and after results of driving overloaded. Was coming home from picking up this truck from former Loring AFB when I got rear ended by a "distracted" driver. The impact forced me into the ditch and rolled over. Lost two trucks, trailer and almost my life. Thanks, Doug
Sorry to hear about everyone's loss or near miss with death. Bad things can and will happen, it's always when you least expect it.

This is not an area to be bragging about how far you step out of the line of safety.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks