• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who wants to make some money?

pyrogod117

I hope this is the right forum for this.

I need someone who is local to Forked River, NJ (Zip Code 08731), or at least within a reasonable driving distance who has a wrecker and a larger trailer.

Basically my boss is buying 2 20ft steel shipping containers, and we need to transport them 12 miles from his house to the business. He has a trailer, but it takes forever to get it lined up perfectly and strap it down so it doesn't move. They containers are 20' x 8', and have holes on each corner for lifting. We need someone with a wrecker and a trailer that can hold at least 1 of them, we don't mind multiple trips if needed.

We'll obviously cover any fuel cost, food, and pay you some extra for your time.

Name your price if you're interested or know someone who can. I figured since I'm a big fan of MVs I'd ask here before we ask a company to do it. Give you guys some extra cash to play with.

You can respond here, PM me, or call me at 609-661-1357 at whatever time you want.

According to a site I found, 20ft containers have an empty weight of about 5,000 lbs.

P.S. for those of you who don't know what these containers are, here is a photo: http://img.alibaba.com/photo/12162361/20_Dry_Van_Container_Cargo_Container_Shipping_Container.jpg

Thanks,
Kevin

Last edited:

Nonotagain

The trailer you posted pics of is called a Conex box.

Before anyone can get you an estamate of the charges, you will need to supply some additional information.

What is the total weight of the box with contents? Any hazmats involved? Are there any overhead space issues? Trees, power lines?

Around these parts, you would be getting charged for a crane or a crane truck, a drop deck trailer, a rigger or two and possibly a fork truck.

Not a cheap move.

You might be better off contacting one of the local companies selling conex's and get a price from them for the move.

pyrogod117

It's an empty box. No overheard issues, no trees, no powerlines.

The local company selling the containers want way too much for what they're worth. My boss's neighbor is selling 2 of them. He's going to get them cheap.

I thought I'd ask here first and maybe be able to help some people out, but if it's gonna cost an insane amount to move an empty container like that, I'd just take the day and load them myself with the Kubota and do it the annoying way.

Also, I don't see the need for a drop deck trailer at all. Any trailer will do as long as you could put an 8' wide box on it and it could hold roughly 5,000#. And why a crane? A regular wrecker could pick it up a few feet an move it no problem.

We can take care of rigging it up, and a fork lift is unnecessary.

Last edited:

Nonotagain

It's an empty box. No overheard issues, no trees, no powerlines.

The local company selling the containers want way too much for what they're worth. My boss's neighbor is selling 2 of them. He's going to get them cheap.

I thought I'd ask here first and maybe be able to help some people out, but if it's gonna cost an insane amount to move an empty container like that, I'd just take the day and load them myself with the Kubota and do it the annoying way.

Also, I don't see the need for a drop deck trailer at all. Any trailer will do as long as you could put an 8' wide box on it and it could hold roughly 5,000#. And why a crane? A regular wrecker could pick it up a few feet an move it no problem.

We can take care of rigging it up, and a fork lift is unnecessary.
Cryptic postings require additional questions.

You posted wanting to have two conex boxes moved. You listed a gross weight of 67,200 but didn't post actual weights.

Most tow trucks don't have the ability to lift more than 15 k fully extended, which will be required to lift a conex box. You need spreader chains or cables to grab all four corners.

When I have moved them, I had a second wrecker lift the other end and boomed out to the trailer. The drop deck trailer is the staple of the towing industry since they allow for the lowest lift height for a safe move.

Good luck with the move.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We've move many of the 40' containers with our Landoll type trailer (it's accually a Trail King). What we to is winch them onto the trailer but leave a little hanging off the back. That way when you go to unload them you tilt the trailer up until the back of the container rest on the ground. Then you just pull out from under it.

I would think a striaght rollback truck could handle a 20 footer.

I'm going to say if you can get by with a rollback truck you should be able to get it done for around $400. If you have to have another wrecker to lift them on each end the price could run $1,000 or more depending on how tight the space is (you say they can't be just simply backed in where they go).

pyrogod117

Cryptic postings require additional questions.

You posted wanting to have two conex boxes moved. You listed a gross weight of 67,200 but didn't post actual weights.

Most tow trucks don't have the ability to lift more than 15 k fully extended, which will be required to lift a conex box. You need spreader chains or cables to grab all four corners.

When I have moved them, I had a second wrecker lift the other end and boomed out to the trailer. The drop deck trailer is the staple of the towing industry since they allow for the lowest lift height for a safe move.

Good luck with the move.
Alright then I'll change the info. I'm sure we have the chains/cables laying around.

I don't get why I can't just find a person here who has an M816 or something like it to drop by, pick it up onto a trailer, follow us to the site, and then move it off of there and put some extra cash in their pocket while having fun moving it. There's tons of people on here with wreckers and there has to be a few in NJ.

Last edited:

pyrogod117

We've move many of the 40' containers with our Landoll type trailer (it's accually a Trail King). What we to is winch them onto the trailer but leave a little hanging off the back. That way when you go to unload them you tilt the trailer up until the back of the container rest on the ground. Then you just pull out from under it.

I would think a striaght rollback truck could handle a 20 footer.

I'm going to say if you can get by with a rollback truck you should be able to get it done for around $400. If you have to have another wrecker to lift them on each end the price could run $1,000 or more depending on how tight the space is (you say they can't be just simply backed in where they go).
Again, at that price I'd rather just use the Kubota and move it myself.

poof

Dirty Hippie
1 ton truck.. 16 foot trailer.... skid steer or your kabota ....floor jack & some steel tube as rollers.
thats how I got mine Home and inplace.
.. YOU CAN DOOOOOOOOOOOOO it.
an all terra fork truck works well to stack them too.. or extend the boom and drag back into place from in front.
J.P.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We just moved an S280 shelter by jacking up one end and backing a trailer under it and using a single 6-inch treated round fence post and two cumalongs to pull it onto the trailer. You probably need more than one post (I took 6 with me). No biggie.

Although I'm sure the people appreciate the offer of work why do you think $400 is unreasonable for a charge? It cost me $260 just to get my truck towed 13 miles and all he had to do was back up to it, put two straps on it and go. There was no rigging or grunt work involved. You are asking to have two moved which involves loading and unloading into a tight space where you can't back a rollback into. $400 each to move each one might be a more reasonable charge if it is a straightforward move but not for both.

But that's just my opinion.

sw

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks