• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why a 5 ton instead of a 2.5 ton?

Green_gator

I think that Indiana cleared out most of their National Guard/Reserve deuces a few years back. My 109 came out of Indianapolis in 2008 and at the time they had batches of them every month or so. Since you seem to have the space to store and experience with big trucks it probably is a matter of taste. Try to drive a couple different ones and see which one just seems to fit better.

Blind Driver

I think that Indiana cleared out most of their National Guard/Reserve deuces a few years back. My 109 came out of Indianapolis in 2008 and at the time they had batches of them every month or so. Since you seem to have the space to store and experience with big trucks it probably is a matter of taste. Try to drive a couple different ones and see which one just seems to fit better.
It's also a matter of load carrying capasity. I'm looking to tote about 5k or so of RV box. It's looking like a 5 ton is in my future.

I'm going to guess that the 2.5 ton will haul 2.5 tons off-road and the 5 ton can haul 5 tons off-road?

I could pilot a duece around home until I get ready to go RVing :mrgreen:

spicergear

In ride quality, now granted I'm sorta skipping a generation, but comparing a deuce to my 931A2 tractor is wide span between them. The deuce seems more underpowered, more notchy in shifting, braking is okay but not super confidence building (except my Hydro-MAX in crane truck :) !!!) and steering?! Five ton stock feels like it has more power, handles road speed better, air brake braking feels very strong, steering can be done with one finger. But...it'll cost in fees.

dburt

Ahhhh, the agony of making decisions on a thin wallet! My deuce was an amazing truck, I loved it but the lack of power steering was a real bummer when you get older and get arthritis in your shoulders and arms. The ability to use the duel fuel engine for a mix of WMO and diesel can certainly lower your overall fuel costs, plus it gets almost 50% better fuel mileage as well compared to the newer 800 and up series 5 tons. And the Cummins powered 5 tons will demand only straight diesel to perform trouble free- usually. (Although some old timers mixed WMO with thier diesel: 25% WELL filtered WMO with the diesel in older Cummins equipped big trucks with no major issues) But the 5 ton has the power steering standard, and the Cummins 250 is a good reliable if somewhat slow engine. A safe top speed on the deuce is 55 mph with standard tires. The 5 ton will max out at about 50 mph with standard tires. The sprag actuated front axle for shifting into 4WD is a minus on the 800 series trucks. However- there are front locking hubs available with an air-cutoff to the sprag clutch assembly for the 5-ton which can cure some of those problems to the tune of about $1,000-$1,500 for the setup! For the power steering issues with the deuce, the last time I checked the air assist power steering kit for the deuce was about $1200-$1500 when you could find one.
So what is the bottom line? Have the wife take a second job, or win the lottery or some such thing and buy one of each and report back to us in about 6 months and tell us your educated opinion.:driver:

Last edited:

Blind Driver

What is the GVW of the 900 series road tractors? Are they similiasr to a class 8 tractor? 34k on the drives and 12k on the steers? I'm thinking about hauling containers locally and the auction trucks are selling at decent prices.

m816

I own one deuce and three five tons. Five tons are my choice ,hands down. Of course I prefer early five tons with multifuel engines. M51,M54's but I like the M 816 as the best werecker. Working on a deuce isn't much easier than a Five ton . If you are equiped to work on the large trucks, It is all the same to me . You need help when working on either as you get older. I also have a M151a2 which is fun to just play around with. Just buy two and then you can sell the deuce.

Moto2four

I just bought my first MV, a 1993 m923 cargo, and I love it. I've got my hands dirty wrenching on it a little. It's a man to work on, but if you work smart it's not bad at all. I've driven my buddies m35a3, and the 5er is easier to drive. The deuce is faster, but the 5ers brakes and steering are more friendly.

mcmullag

lots of very good answers already. I have owned two deuces and now own a 923a2. if I were you, I would start with a deuce and then later have a 900 series for fun, kinda hard to explain, I really like the 923a2 but really glad I learned on the deuces and I am not planning on having to do any big repairs on my 5 ton as it only has 12 k miles on it and went thru a depot rebuild in 2008. I mention that because you may be able to find a low mileage vehicle or recent depot rebuild which helps you decide on just playing with it, or having to really work on it, just my two cents. Best of luck to you! :-D

Last edited:

Doomsday

I went straight to the 5 tons as my motto is why buy a deuce when you can get a 5 ton for the same price! :mrgreen: My first one was a M923A1 which was pretty run down and I'm still kickin mysef for not doing more research on these trucks before I bought it. Sold that one and got a practically brand new M932A2 on Gov auction. Thing only had 51 miles and 8 hours on it when i picked it up. Runs like a champ and the best thing is everything is literally brand new!
I'd like to mention one thing about the fuel mileage......out of both my trucks, I am getting 8-10 on the freeway, 12-14 going down the Grapevine. :tank: lol I just took a trip up north to Coalinga and I burned about 21-22 gallons in about 200 miles. I personally don't think the mileage is that bad for what a 5 ton actually is.

Joe

insas

As far as fuel mileage in the 5-ton goes: I think a lot of the earlier mentioned figures are accurate for the 800 series and the 900/900a1 series, however the 900a2 get's noticeably better mileage. I generally get around 10-11 MPG in my 923a2, and got better than 8mpg towing a trailer w/10k tractor on it, including up and down a 2 3mi 5% + 2 7 mi 8% grades.

So, with an 900a2 series, you prob still loose a little mpg to a 2.5 ton, but to me not enough to counter the capability increases. There are other good points that have been brought up to though: how you regester it (farm for me), etc...

TacticalDoc

had a deuce that I sold. then got a Marine M923-A1. Much easier to drive. Faster, more power and bigger tires. It can go almost anywhere especially with the rear lockers and 1400 tires. Gas is an issue but that's why I put a 100 gal transfer tank in the back and will put another tank on the other side. 855ci Cummings engine with Allison trans is hard to beat

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks