• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why an M275A2, why?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I finally got off my butt and set out to change in inop in tank fuel pump. Not as easy as a cargo since the tank and pump are under the left side of the cab. Figured I'd take the tank loose, slide it out and presto chango! Ha, no such luck. The L arms that supprt the tank are raised at the end. When I tried to pull the tank, it wouldn't clear the rocker, or at least the pump wouldn't. No problem, I'll pull the quarter fender and back tires and slide it back. Ha, no such luck. Can't get it back far enough. Well, just have to drop the 3 L shaped arms and drop the tank that way. Yep, these tractors have 3 where the cargos have 2. Wait, can't get them off, the tank is in the way. After hours of pondering I resorted to the Sawzall and cut a notch in the lip under the rocker. Did I mention you have to smash your arms flat to get to the lines too? Anyway, 4 hrs and close to a unit of blood, I've got the thing back together and running. Just think, changed the one in my old M35A2C in about 10 minutes. I think next time I'll pull the cab! Tomorrow, new J-pipe and new back tires.

mangus580

Kenny, did ya spring the big bux for a stainless J pipe from saturn?

Noticable difference with a working pump? Mine aint worked in ages...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I'll tell you tomorrow. It's never lacked power from the pump, just had to crank it a bunch to start it. When the pump was working it would fire in less than a second. I'll report back tomorrow. I didn't buy the stainless pipe. I have 3 new J pipes in the shed. After tomorrow there will be 2 and once the wrecker is running there will be only one spare left. Thought I had a lifetime supply. I shouldn't say theyre brand new but perfect condition takeoffs. Still have the factory paint and it look fresh.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a special section for the M275 in the -20 TM.
You'r supposed to raise the cab to get the tank out, if you can believe it. Paragraph 75.1
Try to find out what's wrong with the pump, they are pretty rugged.

Spent most of the day replacing copper fuel lines and got the new filter installed...still need fittings and some hardware, but that's normal. :)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I won't have to anymore. If I had a portapower here I would have raised the cab a bit. I think I'm going to skate out back and do a similar cut off of an extra cab and trim it to fit the tractor cab. I'll bolt it in place so its not so the gap is not so obvious.

Armada

You guys are so fortunate to have good (warm) weather to work in!! We actually had a day last week that was sunny and 50 degrees. Almost a record. Hadn't seen the sun it seems for a couple months. I spent that day outside stipping pieces parts off of the dropside box to get it ready to sandblast. The problem now is getting a dry day to blast it, and then get it moved to the painter! :( I'm ready for summer.

rmgill

You should move to the south man. We've had Rain one day, then 3-4 days of sun and 50s to 60s. I washed my '42 Dingo yesterday after doing some spot blasting. Rolled it back in before the rain hit and was good. It was warm enough for jeans sneakers and a long-sleeve mock-T, and I'm in Georgia.

Ryan in the beautiful south.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well Mike, just went out and started the tractor. Pushed in the fuel shutoff, hit the power and pushed the button, started in less than a second. Yep, I can tell the pump is fixed! Its brezzy and 73 degrees at 10:44 PM

jatonka

Why M275

Kenny you are so lucky,or just smart. It's cold as heck up here and the only thing we can do outdoors up here is look at the snow pushing down our cab tops!!!!!!!! I've been putting tarps over a lot of them, just hoping for Spring asap. John T

Katahdin

I remembered this old thread and wanted to follow it up, I removed my M275A2's fuel tank this past weekend.

You need to remove the 2 cab bushing bolts and jack up the cab from underneath with a 4x4 to get the tank to clear the rocker panel. Both pictures shown are after jacking up the cab. It's still tight to unthread the tank connections, but it's do-able with a proper line wrench.

On the photo with the jack, note the old cab bushing on the frame rail, and the stack of washers where the bushing should be.

Other parts I removed:
Middle axle wheels, I'm not sure this was necessary.
Fender
Fender reflector bracket
Cab step
Tank straps (obviously)

Attachments

Monkeyboyarmy

I had to pull the tank off of mine at letterkenny so I could drive it home. I remember it was a real bear. The fuel cap was off for probably a couple years. Long story short, had to make a trip to the car wash to clean it out. After a few small other things like installing gauges, a cab top and a brake master cylinder I was good to go. Boy the things you could get away with in the auction days.

Reactions: 98G

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
When I was restoring my gas M275 and removed the tank it took me 20mins. Just remove driver side step remove 3 bands holding tank remove tank fuel lines.

But it looks like the mutifuel M275 tanks have the pump under the cab.. my gasser tank had the pick and sender unit Between the back of the cab and the rear diamond plate deck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks