• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

why an NP208 in m1008?

csramsey640

Ive always wondered with the beefy d60 front, 14b rear, lockers, 1 ton springs, etc, etc why wasnt the np205 transfer case just installed as basic m1008 equipment, rather than the PTO units? Im not knocking the 208 case, but it would seem that this is a dead give away when such a strong np205 was out there.

CCATLETT1984

the 208 does have a lower ratio in low range, other than that, you got me?

I wish my truck had came with the 205, but I will be swapping the one i have in the garage into the truck one of these years.

1956_4x4

Although I'd take the 205 over the 208 any day of the week, I have to admit that the 208 has held up well in the CUCV. I can only think of two 208s that we had to change in the CUCVs while I was in the service and I was in for most of the expected life span of this truck. If I remember correctly, both of those transfer cases were changed because they broke from impact with something.

Smitty

AJMBLAZER

A. Lightweight and strong. As mentioned above it's rare to see a NP208 actually break other than from abuse or being whacked on something. The skid plate pretty much eliminates the whacking problem unless the abuse gets really bad.
Ever herc'd a 208 around vs a 205? Which do you think the maintenance guys would rather have to change?

B. HMMWV's used an aluminum case variant along the lines of a 208/231/241 so probably more impetus to go with a similar case in the CUCV's.

C. Deeper gearing. Make up for the unimpressive first gear in the TH400 and the highway gears in the M1009's.

D. Parts commonality with what GM was making at the time. The 205 was increasingly being relegated to only the 1 tons while the 1/2 tons and most of the 3/4 tons were getting the 208.

In my opinion the only thing better than the 208 in the CUCV's would have been a 241 (especially with a SYE) but the CUCV's were a bit early for that.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cost... 40,000 more NP-205's would have driven the contract cost up significantly.

GM had a much better supply system for the 208, since it was used in the 1/2 and 3/4-ton trucks, production of which far out-numbered 1-ton production.

puppy

FWIW, I wheeled an NP208 behind a built big block and a 4-speed with 44" cut boggers for 5 years in a non-street legal hybrid cab truck without any problems from the NP208.

I was very surprised by the strength of the t-case.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks