• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why Did M1008s Come with NP208 vs NP205s

CARC686

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doesn't the NP205 run gear oil? I know the NP208 runs ATF, which is the only reason I haven't been in a rush to replace the rear seal on my TH400, but if a transmission can leak ATF into a transfer case that's supposed to run gear oil, that sounds like it could be a rapidly developing problem.

87cr250r

Remember that automatic transmissions also have gears. ATF can lubricate gears. I always ran ATF in my dirt bike gearboxes despite them specifying gear oil. Twin Disc specs engine oil in their transmissions.

As robust as the NP205 is, I would suspect it would operate on ATF just fine.

I operate a lot of gearboxes in my industry. Helical and double helical have given way for palloid gears but the bearings haven't changed. Bearing race rotation has always been main failure in these boxes. Industry always preferred ISO 320 weight oils for protection of the gears which causes the bearings to fail and take out the gears with misalignment. We're running ISO 100 oils and everything is happier.

CARC686

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember that automatic transmissions also have gears. ATF can lubricate gears. I always ran ATF in my dirt bike gearboxes despite them specifying gear oil. Twin Disc specs engine oil in their transmissions.

As robust as the NP205 is, I would suspect it would operate on ATF just fine.

I operate a lot of gearboxes in my industry. Helical and double helical have given way for palloid gears but the bearings haven't changed. Bearing race rotation has always been main failure in these boxes. Industry always preferred ISO 320 weight oils for protection of the gears which causes the bearings to fail and take out the gears with misalignment. We're running ISO 100 oils and everything is happier.
Palloid gears are sort of like twin perpendicular, helical-cut sprockets instead of a ring and worm? I never heard the word before now and Google image searches weren't particularly instructive.

87cr250r

It is a ring and pinion. It's a bevel gear with a helical cut. The centerline of the pinion is aligned with the axis of the ring gear. Maybe spiral bevel gear is more prevalent?

Truck differentials mostly use hypoid gears. They are similar but the axes are offset. The hypoid gear has some worm action which means sliding which is why they require special lubricants.

I operate and repair z-drives in tug boats. One ring and pinion converts horizontal shafting from the engine to vertical, and a second converts it back to horizontal. The housing rotates around the vertical shaft which allows us to aim our propeller 360 degrees.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks