• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why didn't they just use 24v glow plugs?

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
doesn't it just seem simpler to have 24v glow plugs to meet the NATO 24v starting requirement instead of the problematic resistor setup?

or.. was it a cost cutting measure? no 24v plugs at the time?

I've already bypassed the resistor and moved supply to 12v..why shouldn't I just get 24v plugs and move supply to 24v? lower amperage draw...

Keith_J

Engines, transmissions, body panels, frames and most of the parts are turnkey items. The CUCV line was just a variation of assembly and by using a commercial base engine, the costs were contained. Engines arrived with all base parts, just belt drive variations like alternators and power steering were added on. There was no time to swap out glow plugs as every engine used was a base J code non-egr model.

Now the HMMWV was a different story. The engines were built for the vehicle. All 24 volt, including the injection pump solenoids with Packard connections instead of spade.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The glow plug controller will not work properly if you use 24 volt glow plugs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks