• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why do some people hate military vehicles?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Always remember, a friend will help you hide, a best friend will help you hide a body.
Poppop had a funny story about just this at the GA Rally this year. We'll have him tell the story again next year. It was quite a hoot.
In reference to the title of the thread, some folks hate the Prius too!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got 40 acres and a like minded neighbor with a backhoe, I'm good. Since we have a farm I keep several bags of quicklime around to put on the floors of the horse stalls.......yea....that's what is for....the horse stalls.

Always remember, a friend will help you hide, a best friend will help you hide a body.

And in reference to the GA MV Mafia I can tell you (as the Don of the AL MV Mafia) that they are all goodfellows in good standing. Don't make me make you an offer you can't refuse.:wreckerman893:
Well spoken, Don Wreckerman! We are humbled to be in the company of such a well-connected and respected organizer of unspeakable green-shaded crimes against the forces of weevils. It would honor us greatly if you would accept our gifts of freshly laundered currency in the hopes of your continued favor on our passage through your 'hood.

A classic: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068646/

Another Ahab

Have a surveyor review the deeds and possibly a survey to see what you really own or have rights to. After the surveyor reviews it you may have to either get your title company or a real estate lawyer involved if you have any rights.
And a suggestion to request that same land surveyor to stake it out also (an iron stake preferably). When conflicts come up, nothing is more convincing than being able to actually kick the marker that says "this side is mine".

quickfarms

The following comments are based in my decades of experience surveying on both coasts.

This example is one of the reasons that I would not live under an HOA and I live outside the city limits.

You have two issues here.

The first issue is the HOA. They get there authority from typically either a deed restriction of Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions, commonly called CC&R's, either of which should be listed in your title insurance policy as a schedule B exception. If you were not provided a copy if the document the title company should send you a copy if you request it.

You also need to go through all of the paperwork that you have related to the purchase of the property looking to se if there is an existing survey. They survey requirement varies by state, some stares require a survey and some do not. also some states require the survey to be recorded.

Also check the square footage if the property to make sue it is the same on the listing, appraisal, tax bill and contained in the deed.

The second issue is the real property. This issue has two main parts. The first part is what land was actually deeded to you and the second issue is prescriptive rights.

First you need to have a local surveyor review the documents, including your title insurance policy and the warranty deed your neighbor has, to determine what property is contained in the deeds and what easement and other rights you have.

The second thing you need to do is talk to the surveyor, or a lawyer, about a claim of prescriptive rights to the property. The laws for prescriptive rights vary by state. In some states occupation is all that is required but in other states it is next to impossible unless you meet some very specific requirements.

I would not move anything until you receive some professional advice. Moving could adversely affect tour potential claim of prescriptive rights. If your neighbor notified you in writing then the clock is probably ticking, but you would need to consult a lawyer to know for certain.

In the end you will need to consult a surveyor, possibly a lawyer and potentially file a claim with you title insurance company.

Be prepared to spend some money to sort this out.

Good Luck

quickfarms

One of mine simply moved the iron pipe when we were out!
I have seen that many times, our simple solution is either to set two pipes on top of each other or offset the point to something that is not easily moveable, and if the property owner is willing to pay our time we can set a monument that will take a back hoe to remove.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GOOD LUCK , I hope this all works out for you . What a PITA this has to be to have a troubled neighbor who is using tricks to make you crazy over some MV's , man some people need a life , bob k

3dAngus

I have a gut feeling, that neighbor who wants vehicles off his property, would ask it be removed if it was a trailer, a boat, a MV, or a VW Beetle.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with 1911A1 , maybe time to go . This could be the start of MANY battles , win the battles but loose the war . Plus what's your sanity and a happy home life worth . Life is SHORT and sometimes you have to look at the BIG PICTURE and move on . In life one must pick your battles . good luck .

K9Vic

Don't get mad, get even. I have a Bell 206BIII Jet Ranger and live in a nice neighborhood in a private community. My house is at the edge of the subdivision and it ends with my back yard. I got crap from the HOA because I landed in the street Safely) in front of my house for about 3 minutes to pick up my wife instead of her driving to the airport 40 minutes away and to fly her to Gainsville GA for a family emergency. Got letters and phone calls. Purchase the 3 acres behind my home (Not in the sub division) and registered it as a Heliport. Now I fly in and out anytime I want. And I fly very slowly past the guy's house down the street who filed the complaint. He went bonkers and called the city. They told him TL. He has every right to land and take off anytime. Its an airport. Result, he moved, not us.
That is a great get even story!!!
I live near a Bell factory & heliport so I know how loud one can be, especially a Huey.

So getting to the OP question, why do people not like military vehicles?
I do not know why as they are so cool, but had a neighbor that did not like when I had four CUCV pickups in my driveway and called the police. Well they showed up and looked everything over and no violations of city municipal codes. All vehicles ran and drove, all had wheels, not on blocks, not missing any parts and parked on solid surface (concrete). Back in 2008 I expanded my driveway to allow parking two across vehicles that cost me $1200 and it was well worth every penny. So because of that all four trucks were parked on the driveway and that is one item the officer pointed out. Maybe the person complaining did not noticed the expanded driveway and thought two of them were on the grass. This was in early 2010 and since that time never a complaint again as likely the officer told them there was no violations. Currently I have three vehicles total, 86 M1031, 84 Suburban CUCV clone and 2011 Caprice PPV. At random times during the year I can have 4-5 vehicles total and no issues. There are still a few neighbors that do not like my old military vehicles, but with no HOA they cannot do anything as they comply with the city & state laws.

saddamsnightmare

February 26th, 2014.

I guess they really don't like people with bigger toys then theirs? All you need is for the doctor in your neighborhood to come up with a MB Gelandewagen or a Zetros, that ought to really spoil their barbecue! Or get a MB M1017 and convert it to a RV (conversion of a radio or command box would be good), that would drive your neighbor bananas!

What I used to do was assist the PD or VFD in bad weather and related incidents, that tends to cap the complaints off pretty quick. A little public service is good for the soul. You could also haul vets in the July 4th parade, another way to ruin the neighbors day with positive publicity.:???:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks