• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why do we pay attention to the miles?

welpro222

Why do we pay attention to the miles on our CUCV's when:

1. The odometer could have rolled over

2. They are 30 years old already

3. The engine most likely spent more time idling then being on the move

4. Most likely had the crap beat out of it, as I have heard from former army operators.

It makes me laugh when I see a for sale ad for a cucv and it list "only has 59,000 miles" and they go on to tell you they bought it at auction and it only had 21,000 miles. Now in this case that owner probably took care of the bugs.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I got my 1028, it had 40,000 miles on the odometer, but wayyyy more than 40,000 miles of wear on the pedals...

Gunzy

My M1031 has 6845 on the odo and on inspection it looks like a truck with 6845 on it. Engine looks new, underside is not beat to crap, the interior is way cleaner than any I have seen. As a technician I would bet this is true miles on it.

jpg

The charging system on my 1010 was both fried and hacked. It's not clear in what order things happened, but when I got it the top alternator was fried, the DUVAC was partially disconnected, and the electrical system relied on connections made with wire nuts and electrical tape. Given that mess, it's not surprising that I got it with 1,911 miles on the odometer.

welpro222

That is what i hate, people who install lights or even a radio and do a crappy wiring job. Thats what happen to mine, wires running everywhere with cheap connectors.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do it for the "lulz". My m1028 from Ft. Hood had just over 2K miles on it but it was a rebuilt unit that was given to a TSC (test support contractor) for on base use. Telling people you own a 84' chevy with 2K miles makes their head spin haha!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There's 4 things I know of that are full of lies.

1. Mileage listed on a MV speedo.
2. Hours listed on a MV tach.
3. Fuel shown on a MV fuel gauge.
4. Anything a politician says. (That's a joke folks...)

K9Vic

I do it for the "lulz". My m1028 from Ft. Hood had just over 2K miles on it but it was a rebuilt unit that was given to a TSC (test support contractor) for on base use. Telling people you own a 84' chevy with 2K miles makes their head spin haha!
These were the best CUCV trucks to buy/own as they had regular maintenance that was well documented if you got the records with it. I must of had 4 pickups and 2 Blazers from them, all records with allot of work done over the years. Too bad they are mostly all gone now, but one should buy one if you see one.

As for the M1031, those are usually the lowest mileage CUCV and in the best condition. You can kind of get an idea of how much it was used by the generator hours meter. If it is low and the mileage is low it likely did not get much use.
The M1010 is also a low mileage CUCV, but those usually have issues with the charging system as to why the miles are so low. So one that has low mileage probably has hacked up wiring or a charging system problem.

As always, the way to tell if it rolled the odometer is to look at accelerator peddle. If it is worn down with 11,000 miles it has 111,000 miles. The brake peddle can be changed, so you look closely at the accelerator peddle.

reaper556

My M1031 has 6845 on the odo and on inspection it looks like a truck with 6845 on it. Engine looks new, underside is not beat to crap, the interior is way cleaner than any I have seen. As a technician I would bet this is true miles on it.
I recently picked up a 1028 that show's 4380 miles. I found an Army vehicle document binder stuck under the seat that had paperwork showing everything ever done to the truck up until they transferred it out of service. One of the things listed was a odometer replacement so the truck actually has 21'000 miles according to their records

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The first M1009 that I purchased had seen service with Border Patrol. Imagine a vehicle parked on a hill, in the desert sun, idling to run the added air conditioning for the entire shift, logging no miles....

Gunzy

The first M1009 that I purchased had seen service with Border Patrol. Imagine a vehicle parked on a hill, in the desert sun, idling to run the added air conditioning for the entire shift, logging no miles....
Air conditioning? In and M1009? How did that happen?

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its an add-on. Extra bracketry in the engine compartment for the compressor, still retains the two alternators. I'll look in my archives for pix.

oboyjohn

The best way to gauge if the odometer is "accurate " is to look at the rubber pad on the brake pedal. If the right side is worn out and the odometer shows say, 25000, you can safely bet the odometer was changed at one point. Same rule applies if the pedal pad is new. Up here in Canada, when an odometer is replaced, we apply a sticker to the dash that says the odometer was changed and the last milage was XXXXX.

dependable

Most of the CUCVs I bought from GL, back when there were a lot of them for sale, were low mileage vehicles. Highest one I ever bought had 65K miles.

One of the best drivers I have of the lot, all the maintenance up to date, was at 60 K miles. Some were much lower miles. Most 1031s and 1010s have too few miles on them for their own good. Sitting for 30 years is not good for some parts of the system either.

Low miles trucks do have benefits though, but a lot of rubber parts and seals should be replaced, they are old and will leak.

If the odometer has 6 digits, (not including tenths) it is a replacement odometer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks