• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why do you love your deuce?

NickAir

1) 40 years old and still built better than any new rig.

2) Simple equals dependable

3) You can buy many Deuces for the price of one new pickup that is junk.

4) Best camping rig ever, (need bows and canvas.)

5) Cool factor is around 11 or 12 on a scale of 10.

91W350

I was not loving mine so much yesterday when two minivans boxed it in at work. I wound up using a wheel chock to limit my backwards roll while I made the 30 point zig zag back and forth to get out.

When I was a young man, I had a job working in a Griff's Burger Bar, anybody remember those? Sedalia Missouri still has one. Anyway, I was about 14 and rode a bicycle the five miles back and forth to work, that would be ten miles a day.... Along my route to work was the National Guard Armory. One morning they had a lot full of deuces, all placarded up, some kind of suspicious flat load tarped down and armed guards. They blocked Broadway (US81 bypass, they were still building the Interstate) and headed out about the time I got there. They shut down traffic and had two wreckers following them. As the deuces roared by, most of the guys driving had huge grins, most of the passengers had rifles in their hands, one after another, turbos screaming, smoke rolling, a convoy of screaming green trucks, I thought.... Some day I am going to find one of those.

It only took me 42 years... :shock:

Since buying one though, I have found that it is cheaper to insure than my 91 Dodge. It will haul more, it starts instantly in the cold, not that my old Cummins does not start, but this deuce seldom turns a full revolution before it starts with no preheater. I had an alternator go down and replaced the rear axle seals. I have been driving it like a pickup for six months. It is wonderful, reliable and strong! The old Dodge has not left the garage since I got the deuce.

Besides the history and the use, I think sharing it with kids and Veterans probably makes my day. The truck gets saluted all the time and several times I have taken kids for rides.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/71313-mind-if-my-boy-has-look-your-truck.html was worth the price of admission for me. To see that young man who does not have much in life to look forward to beaming because he got a ride in my truck, well, it is hard to put into words, but it was definitely a good day.

I have a habit of taking slow rides across the state, the deuce is a confidence builder when the roads are not so good, if the road has tire tracks, it is a safe bet the deuce will plow through.

It is just a unique experience, I had a lot of trucks and a lot of muscle cars, this one is in a class all its own. Glen

skinnedknuckles

They're a blast to drive, easy to work on, get alot of looks and waves, cheap to own compared to a new truck, and can't hear the scooter cars with there boom boom music when they pull up next to me. The vets like to see them it really gets them talking. Oh and did I mention that they are a blast to drive:driver:
Paul in Janesville, Wis

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My first Deuce was given to my by my best friend wife after he was killed.
She new I loved him and wanted me to have it and I would take care of it.
I needed some parts so I bid on three more truck in Jacksonville Fl. and dam if I did not get all three bids. Well that has brought me to the sickness as I now have over 35 trucks 3 military semi trailers and 4 military cranes.
So bottom line my friend gave me the sickness and love you Alissa and miss you Keilo!!!!!!!!

Cleptomaniac

Well I was thinking a really BIG lift then I could stack them;) that's what we do at the shop put a car on a lift and drive one under!!
Another thief I love are air horns :)

koolex11

I was not loving mine so much yesterday when two minivans boxed it in at work. I wound up using a wheel chock to limit my backwards roll while I made the 30 point zig zag back and forth to get out.

Get some cones to keep cars away. Stick an American flag out the top of one and no one will ever mess with them. :idea: Or better yet get some bright orange oil drums!

koolex11

Why you love your deuce results

Well in less than 24 hours there is quite a convincing stream of replies! I thought I would put them all together in a nice list for everyone to look at. And my fears were realized--I want one now!

Top 50 reasons to own a deuce (in no particular order):

-PEOPLE HERE GET THE ____ OUT OF THE WAY.
-It is a HEAD TURNER.
-You can haul a nice load of fire wood, compost, gravel, and anything else that needs to be hauled!
-You will be the envy of all your neighbors, especially the kids.
-Awesome for hauling things you just can't move with a pickup.
-It makes a really nice off-road vehicle.
-The chics dig it.
-It's just plain cool!!!!!
-When you go for a ride in it and nearly every little kid you pass drops their jaw and waves, it's worth it.

-People linger around the Deuce in amazement and full of questions.
-Almost every one of my teachers love it.
-Absolutely fun to drive!
-A giant (for me)10 wheel drive truck that can haul, perform well off-road, and yet is classy enough to take to car shows and parades.
-There is something about driving down the road wit that turbo diesel engine and loud exhaust that once you experience it, you'll be hooked for life.
-If you enjoy attention, there is no shortage of it when you own a deuce.

-I've met so many other former Marines and service members that I would never have had the opportunity to meet were it not for the deuce.
-I bought my last ATV in 2010 for $5k. I bought two deuces for $4k. It's like robbery. I'm a bad man.

-It's a piece of American History.
-The people that come along with this hobby are great.
-It is different than any other vehicle.
-It's affordable.
-I enjoy working on things (lmechanical).

-I like the fact that I can own a piece of military history, use it when the opportunity presents itself and have it bring me and other people many fond memories.
-It’s as easily recognizable a piece of military equipment as the M1 helmet.

-When folks see it they all seem to get a bit of a smile.
-There's just something about the way a deuce looks, just like the way a MJ Jeep looks that just makes people happy.
-It's as American Military as apple pie.

-It looked mean as **** and I had to have one w/ the price being so nice.
-I get free used Transmission fluid from work so it doesn't cost me a dime to fuel.
-My wife has been wanting a Jeep since i sold her Rubicon a few years ago.
-The nostalgia of driving it and feeling the pride of being an American.
-It will make you smile uncontrollably.

-My grandpa remembers riding in it in the war. He smiles so big when we look at pictures or go for a ride.
-All the townies and even the police love to sit in it while I fill it up.
-It will run on any old oil if I clean it.
-Its freakin B.A.
-Its neat to be able to help out when it floods, have a bad snow, or lots of wind damage.
-They are very well built and if you take care of them the will outlast any civi vehicle on the road.
-I take great pride in my truck and the friendships I have made on this site.
-I love semi trucks and 4 wheeling, so this is the 2 in one so it perfect for me.
-Li’l kids love it and give you the blow your horn hand motion but when I blow my train horn it scares them to death at first then they run out to the road to hear it again next time.
-Having a few MV's keeps the neighbors on their own property and they go out of there way to be nice. They don't wanna make waves with the guy up that lane with the MV's !!
-40 years old and still built better than any new rig.
-Simple equals dependable
-You can buy many Deuces for the price of one new pickup that is junk.
-Best camping rig ever, (need bows and canvas.)
-Cool factor is around 11 or 12 on a scale of 10.

-They're a blast to drive, easy to work on.
-Get a lot of looks and waves.
-Cheap to own compared to a new truck
-Can't hear the scooter cars with their boom boom music when they pull up next to me.
-The vets like to see them and it really gets them talking.
-Did I mention that they are a blast to drive?
-It is mine.
-My first Deuce was given to my by my best friend wife after he was killed. She new I loved him and wanted me to have it and I would take care of it. So bottom line my friend gave me the sickness and love you Alissa and miss you Keilo!!!!!!!!
-Because it takes my son and myself camping. It's the best tent ever.

N3VZA

Don't forget that great smell!

I've given rides to my 87 y/o Dad (Infantry - wounded at Anzio), a friend who was a combat Marine in Korea and a neighbor who drove one in Desert Storm - and the first thing they all mentioned was that great smell in the cab.

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
5 - It makes my 7 year old grin from ear to ear
4 - Utility
3 - Patriotism
2 - Sheer enjoyment (sound, smell, working on it, etc)
1 - Did I mention how my 7 year old smiles every time we drive it?

M35Raider

Why not?

I am constantly suprised at the uses this vehicle has. I bought it originally to clean dump sites in the woods - things I just could not fit in a Jeep.

Shortly after i purchased the truck and was driving it through town to a place I like to use to wrap the winch cables a Sheriff came up to me and asked if I would drive the Duece in a parade for the VFW - so it's parade life was born. Just a little soap & water add some flags and your good to go, no hours of polishing & waxing as most vehicle in the parade would require.

Hauling yard debri or firewood is a breeze with these trucks, it is incredible how much easier it is to load and unload something without the wheel tubs of your typical pickup truck.

Neighbors and vets will always share their stories so it is a great way to meet people (neighbors will often ask you to haul or pull something out for them)

Used for straightening car frames "redneck frame machine" just use your imagination

Never get another speeding ticket, it is great how much fun one of these are at 45-50mph.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't forget that great smell!

That's the second thing I think of after that turbo whistle! The smell reminds me of the many hours I spend driving one to and from Camp Grayling Mi., when the military wasn't so PC. :roll: I love that somewhat musty canvas and oil smell. Reminds me of the good times I had in the National Guard.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
  • i love the smell of the multifuel
  • affordable
  • great people in the hobby
  • why buy a pool when i can just put one in the back?
  • practical because its affordable
  • lots of parts out there
  • chicks do dig it..... seems like more than my bright red 1940 Ford street rod... go figure
  • has a 12 foot bed that never needs to be made
  • winch is real handy
  • WMO.....
  • WMO!! :)

Paul Wolfe

Hi,

A few things I will add:
1. I rode in the back when in the Army, I wanted to ride in one again and this time see where I was going rather than where I had been!
2. It has the classic style sheet metal of the 30's vehicles
3. I own a farm so it earns its keep.

shenkmen

That smell...

Funny thing about that smell. While camping in the deuce at Caledonia State Park I was approached by a handsome family. A mom, dad and two teenage boys. Mom was very excited to see the M35A2. She explained she used to drive one in the service and that she and the father were both retired Army.

She asked if she could peek in the back and see my camping setup. As soon as she poked her head in she smiled and said with great appreciation "It even smells like a deuce".

So, I agree that I love my deuce for the
1) smell
2) smiles it brings to all former service members.

Aaron, cupcakes? do you have a coolant leak?

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe Aaron has one of them pound cakes from the old C-rations that somebody stashed under the dash...

MMM-mmm those where good!!