• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why does everyones deuce leak air pressure?

F18hornetM

The Army had a test for air leaks. As long as your soapy air bubbles grow to smaller then 3 inches after one minute@100 psi, you're good-to-go. :cookoo:

We have crews that have had their trucks since new, and as they get older, of course things leak. They are use to it holding overnight, but now dont. So we do the soapy water routine...over and over, sometimes we find something, most of the time not. They get used to it. :driver:

tco3129

Spend some time with a squirt bottle of soapy water. I work with high pressure gas and am adament about leaks myself. You may not find them all but any you find and fix will help the draindown. It will ease your mind knowing the buzzer is from draining the moisture from your tanks and not from a dozen tiny leaks. Good luck and let us know if you find anything significant.:driver:

Powerstrokes, duramaxs and later cummins as well as the DT466 are all coolant cooled as far as i know. The sterling and international ive driven the past couple years never leak at all, the 89 F800 i used to drive a long time ago would leak out over night but only 20 psi or so.

ive never had a weigh station or road side actually have me perform the air brake test, i was just curious why so many of these trucks leak. maybe its metal vs poly lines. no poly line truck ive driven has leaked.

ODdave

Haha yeah i know the compressor does make it up but its just more moisture in the lines, wear on parts. I dunno i deal with chemical injection points of the worst chemicals in existence. It's my job to make things NOT leak so there is absoultely no reason i cant stop this from leaking. If it was a hydraluic leak you guys would want to fix it.
I think you would spark much more interest by fixing the leaks on the A3's ctis than the A2's system.........

I have 2 dt466's, Neither are coolant cooled, And I have Never seen a coolant cooled stroke, max or cummins.
I have an 01 duramax, its coolant cooled, the 7,3 stroke i used to drive im 99% sure was coolant cooled and i have an 06 internatal dt466 i will check again tomorrow im pretty sure is coolant cooled. Im gonna have to check on all of this now, i know i cant be crazy.

Yeah i am close to ocean city, im actually 2 miles from md line by greensboro

quickfarms

If it passes the dot test than you are good to go. My truck has 5 air tanks and a maze of poly lines and it does leak down, it is probably the seals in the valves are dry. We will lube them in the near future.

i did a quick search from what i can tell

Duramax - all are water cooled turbos
Power stroke - 7.3L to 6.7Ls all water cooled turbos
cummins 12 and 24v are water cooled turbos
Navistar DT466 i cant find info verifying it i will just have to remember to check tomorrow
I have a mitsubishi Fuso too which is just oil cooled.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
"the Internet"! :roll:

Texas Diesel

Didn't see an opinion on this: "would think that leavin them open to atmosphere, would leave a much large potential for internal condensation since there was no pressure inside and would constantly supply oxygen for corrosion. "

Problems with just leaving them open after draining?:?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I can tell you that info is incorrect. I have 7 12v cummins and 2 24v cummins and NONE of them are water cooled

Where did you find your info?
:ditto:

My '98 Cummins isn't water cooled.

You'll have more air leaks in cold weather than you will in the summer. The o-rings in valves and such will get stiff in cold weather and leak but will seal off when the weather gets warmer. I've got a 1994 FL that will hold air overnight in the summer. When cold weather hits it will leak down overnight.

You'll worry yourself to death trying to achieve a zero leaking system. I've got pretty good hearing. My rule is if I can hear it (with the truck not running) I'll track it down and fix it.

Flyingvan911

I drain my air tanks at the end of the day. I leave the cocks open so any condensation can dry out a little easier. You'll have some air inside whether they are left open or closed.

I like to use a spray bottle full of water and just enough Palmolive dish soap to give the water a slight green tint. Mix it well and you'll find your leaks. Let the system charge and then turn the engine off. (Both for safety and to be able to hear leaks.) Some you may be able to tighten and stop. A few little leaks won't hurt much. You're bound to have a few leaks on a truck that vibrates so much.

Could some Cummins be water cooled and some not?

Well I can tell you that info is incorrect. I have 7 12v cummins and 2 24v cummins and NONE of them are water cooled

Where did you find your info?
Yup the internet. I just did a quick search. Alot of the aftermarket turbos are water cooled for them, i just assumed the factory ones were too. I didnt put alot of effort into it.

I am 100% positive my Duramax is. I had that entire top end apart when i replaced the head gaskets and i replaced the rubber coolant lines going to it.

Leaving a tank open to atmosphere would cause more corrosion than leaving it closed and under pressure after draining. The difference may be negligable but having a finite ammount of moisture and oxygen in the system will lessen corrosion. If moisture is constantly condensing on an open metal tank and running down the surface inside its going to rust quicker. Doesnt bare steel left in the rain rust quicker than steel left in a garage?