• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why doesn't the cucv have something like a voltage protection diode?

TexAndy

Like the 939 series trucks, I mean. Those trucks have a voltage protection box with some big diodes in them to prevent back emf from damaging alternators, ABS computer, etc...

So why doesn't the cucv have something like that? And would the cucv benefit from something like that?

I ask because a friend just came down and helped me fix my starter. Which is to say, he pretty much did all the work. Keith_J is a **** of a nice guy.

We had to rotate the studs on the solenoid for them to make good contact against the copper plate part that gets pushed by the coil. The flat contacts were scorched and etched from arcing.

Could back emf have caused that arcing? Or is that just normal wear and tear? This starter only has about 7,000 miles on it.

tim292stro

PCB's costs money add complexity, mostly prevent hooking up batteries backwards.

Sounds like normal wear and tear, if your batteries were low when started.

That said, a 12/24V split system has its own quirks that would benefit from a diode protecting the 12V loads from reverse polarity voltage when the lower battery's ground is disconnected. Nothing says you can't add it after the fact :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks