• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why exactly does forgetting to disconnect batteries kill the KDS/Nartron?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe you guys 100% and I'm glad I read this BB prior to working on certain issues.

But it still does not make any sense to me.

Why does working on electrical systems without disconnecting the battery in this vehicle kill the KDS/Nartron?????

What exactly is going on in the system.

ALSO, is there a preferred way to reconnect the battery? I doubt it, but now I need to do some work and I'm getting paranoid. Do I connect positive or negative first?

TIA,

T

papakb

All of the PCBs and ESSS systems have always had issues connecting and disconnecting with the batteries connected. The original PCBs were fairly foolproof because they were mainly relay based systems. With the advent of the replacements they started getting more and more solid state devices internally and they're the components that tend to fail.

Kurt
KG6KMJ

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All of the PCBs and ESSS systems have always had issues connecting and disconnecting with the batteries connected. The original PCBs were fairly foolproof because they were mainly relay based systems. With the advent of the replacements they started getting more and more solid state devices internally and they're the components that tend to fail.

Kurt
KG6KMJ
Thanks, but what exactly is going on? Where is the overload? Where is the current imbalance? Where is the reversal of polarity?

Thanks,

T

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's because of connections. If the batteries had a real disconnect you wouldn't need to. The disconnect is in the box, so the box is always powered. When the connectors are removed or plugged in you can have "jumps" or minuscule arcs happen between the connectors and boxes. These can jump to other pins until fully seated. These pins may be connected to parts of the system that shouldn't see power until designed to. Hence the potential failure points

springbok

I was told a long time ago when working on airplanes that you never "hot swap" electronics.. Just a little surge when reconnecting and poof you have a paperweight..
I actually have changed a few and when I disconnect the batteries I actually then turn the switch to on to make sure anything solid state that holds power will discharge...
Better safe then sorry .

kc5mzd

Disconnect the ground first if you will be disconnecting both. The only reason for this is because the wrench may bump a nearby metal object when turning the bolts on the connectors. If the wrench bumps ground when removing the ground terminal nothing happens. If the wrench bumps grounded metal object removing + if - is already disconnected nothing happens. If you bump grounded metal removing + when - is connected all the magic smoke gets loose and is very difficult to get back into the wires.
When reconnecting connect + first for same reason...

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you bump grounded metal removing + when - is connected all the magic smoke gets loose and is very difficult to get back into the wires.
I'm old fashioned.. "Magic smoke" is for Hippies and Commies. LOL

Best,

T

P.S. - You're absolutely correct though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks