• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why FreightTrain was banned...

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm sure a few of you have noticed that FreightTrain is missing from the SS forums. That's because he was banned a while back. There are a few rumors circulating as to why he was banned. Here is a list of the actual reasons:

• Failed to heed multiple warnings about breaking multiple site rules
  • Created duplicate user accounts for the purpose of disrupting the forums and the chat room
  • Hurling insults at the Admin and Mods of the site when admonished for breaking the rules
FT is still breaking the rules even after being banned by using false informations to create new user accounts for the purpose of disrupting the forum and to flaunt the fact that he is back on the site by telling other members in the chat room.

He is still banned and he will remain banned. If any member is found helping FT or any other banned member get back on the site or is found passing them information from the site, then that member will get banned as well.

If you see FT or another member lurking in the site with a new user name, pass that information on to a Mod or Admin.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Well...I like FT as a person but he just pushed too hard too often. It's not like he wasn't given every chance to stay because I know he was.

I like to goof around a little to but if I get out of line I would hope a mod or someone points it out to me...that should be all it takes.

Some folks just have to learn the hard way...and sometimes too late:cry:

roscoe

I hate to see someone get banned, but I think the rules are what makes this site a great place to talk and learn about MV's and not get into a bunch of garbage that people will never agree on. Keep up the good work.

DKELONE

I know nothing about this event but i for one am happy to see the administrators maintain good control on the site. I use another site where some folks run rampant with advertising on boards as tho using their personal website without any admonition from the admins. Keep up the good work.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Jon is my friend and is a good guy...that being said he is a person and has issues as we all do. Some times these issues cause us to act out in different ways.
I'm not trying to excuse his actions but there seems to be some amount of zealotry among a few moderators.
We all have positions we are passionate about and sometimes we post an item that we think (right or wrong) may be of interest to our fellow members.
Jumping all over someone for a small indescrestion can snowball out of control and people end up with hurt feelings. (The guy asking about ammo sales the other day is a case.)
When you ban someone permanently from the site you just further incite the persons desire to "teach you a lesson".
I have seen some of the PM's and emails between Jon and other SS mods and all I'm going to say is that Jon had some valid points.
Did you know that the mods can read and archive your PMs?
Myself and Bama Lady had some personal experience with private communication being violated. I did not make an issue of it but I did not like it.

If you have that ability it should have been conspicuously posted.

I do not like any form of big brotherism, goobement or private.

I also understand the position that Chris has to take on content...there are a lot of offical eyes mining data these days.....they use software that seeks out key words and phrases.
If you need the formula for something illegal or borderline there are plenty of places on the net to find it. If you think the current administration is doing the wrong thing there are places for that too. But sometimes you just want to preach to the choir and let you friends in on some daft goobement policy.
A little leeway would not hurt.

But the bottom line is that this is a private site and (I assume) a profit driven site (if only to support the site). I have no problem with that and will obey the rules.

Do I think that Jon should have been permantly banned??
No...maybe a "time out" first with a probationary period.
But I don't own the site and the owners can do what they want.....for good or ill.

scooter01922

Thanks for the explanation chris. I'm sure i wasn't the only guy that was away from the site for a few only to find FT missing when i returned. And thank you Wm for that interesting tidbit of info, that is indeed something to consider. They are called PRIVATE MESSAGES afterall, guess i'll just have to watch what i say in those too. Its geting harder to find any way to express yourself with out thinking about who might hear/ or read your ideas without you knowing, agreed a heads-up on that might have been nice.

joeM62

If I'm stepping on any toes tell me now and I'll stop but what reason would a mod be reading someone's pm if it wasn't sent to them or they had sent it. Me myself i try and follow the rules of the site.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, Moderators cannot and do not read your Private Messegess. We do not have that ability. Fact.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I miss FT, he was a good guy, but da rulez are da rulez. Break them once, shame on you don't do it again. Break them constantly - GO AWAY.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off, I applaud Chris for his efforts to keep the site running smoothly and on track...GOOD JOB CHRIS!!

As to the whole FT situation, I didn't know him but he did have some insightful/useful posts and it is those that I will miss. I have heard from reliable sources that he was given several chances to straighten up...but chose not to...Too bad for him

About the PM's not being so private....come on people, what did you expect?? How many of you work for a company with e-mail? You do realize that they can read any and all e-mail you send and receive don't you...even stuff you deleted. Why would this site be any different...a PM is just nothing more than an internal e-mail. Do I like this??? NO, but it is the nature of the beast...with greater access to information comes less access to true privacy. Plus I think, if it ever came down to it, the owner and mods would need to have access to these messages to prove or disprove SS involvement in any way, shape or form to the authorities just like the case a month or so back where a member was being questioned by the feds. The PM's could help Chris and the site as a whole stay out of hot water.

Just my 2cents...flame away!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just my 2cents.....

I Co-Moderate a completely unrelated forum where members frequently attempt to post messages unrelated to the Purpose, Charter, License, TradeMark, etc. under which that Forum operates. While those unacceptable messages make very valid points and bear tremendous merit, they are none-the-less inappropriate and JUST DON'T FIT the Forum. Those messages therefore MUST be rejected by us Moderators of that Forum.

That being said... I appreciate all of the efforts of the Steel Soldiers Moderators. They have an often thankless job. I also appreciate the various members' privacy comments here and the implied "freedom of speech" desires expressed. However, by joining this Group, we each as members of Steel Soldiers, agree to a Terms of Use Policy - albeit a CONTRACT that we must abide by. Hence, The Moderators are Judge and Jury. If any individual doesn't like the way the game is being played, he/she is welcome to pick up their marbles and go play elsewhere.

Often, the truth hurts. Always remember though that the truth shall make you FREE.

PS
Please accept my apology if I stepped on some already sensitive toes with that rant.

MARCH ON, Steel Soldiers!

rmgill

Not to imply that there was not such an option, but over on tank-net.org they have some specific rules that are interesting and seem to work well.

Duplicate accounts are a strict ROE violation.

Misbehavior and violation of normal ROE can result in suspension of accounts for a week, two or longer.

Permanent bans are entertained only for clear/repeated violations of the ROE.

Moderations of posts are done with an account that is "Moderator". It is never known to be one staffer and is always meant to be based on an agreed upon decision by several members where there is a moderation of a post by a member.

Violations of ROE where there are things stated which should not be done so, say violations of current Military OPSEC rules are pointed out to the offending member by Moderator with a requirement to correct the posting within 24 hours. Failure to do so is dealt with and the moderator make the edit.

The system seems to work VERY well, allows for some heated discussions and yet still maintains a VERY high signal to noise ratio.

Chief_919

Not to imply that there was not such an option, but over on tank-net.org they have some specific rules that are interesting and seem to work well.

Duplicate accounts are a strict ROE violation.

Misbehavior and violation of normal ROE can result in suspension of accounts for a week, two or longer.

Permanent bans are entertained only for clear/repeated violations of the ROE.

Moderations of posts are done with an account that is "Moderator". It is never known to be one staffer and is always meant to be based on an agreed upon decision by several members where there is a moderation of a post by a member.

Violations of ROE where there are things stated which should not be done so, say violations of current Military OPSEC rules are pointed out to the offending member by Moderator with a requirement to correct the posting within 24 hours. Failure to do so is dealt with and the moderator make the edit.

The system seems to work VERY well, allows for some heated discussions and yet still maintains a VERY high signal to noise ratio.

I agree, especially on the second account. I help moderate a very large forum where that is not allowed.

They found that they cut down on scam artists and repeat accounts by requiring a "real" email to sign up. That is you had to use a work, military, or ISP email account. No yahoo, gmail, etc accounts allowed unless the admins verified your account through other means, like somebody already a member vouching for you, or if somebody had no other account they could email the admins and give more info before getting approved.

The scammers love to get new accounts and know there is an unlimited supply of free email accounts, but when you are required to use an ISP or work email that means one that can be traced back to you, and one that if it gets banned you can't replace easily. Have a trail that leads to them makes them less likely to scam on that site, and requiring a real email makes it harder to get a second account when banned.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow and all this time I thought Rat4Spd was joking. :)

Or maybe it was and it just came true. If that's the case he should joke about me winning the lottery!

FT - if you're reading this under an another name - Knock it off and behave so you can come on back and chat man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks