• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why is a Deuce and 1/2 called this ?

rustystud

Not in this life time! You gotta shave first!
Actually I went in and had my beard shaved down to about an inch, and five inches cut off the back.
I was looking like "Gandolph the Grey" what with my hair hanging down to my upper back and my beard hanging down to my chest ! Wife didn't want to be seen in public with me anymore !
She actually bought me the "Gandolph the Grey Staff" for last Christmas !
Since my License is coming due soon, and it will last for 8 years now. I thought I better look more civilized for my picture. 🙄

I suppose I should say something about the Deuce though. Don't want to get in trouble !

The reason you cannot carry and tow to much cross-country is due to the position of the rear axles mounting on the frame. If you look at a normal "civilian" truck you will see the axles are mounted as far back as possible. Front to rear, this creates a very stable platform on the frame bed. The Deuce though has the center point of the axles way forward towards the cab. Look where the "Torque Rods" are attached. This allows for wield articulation of the axles, letting the truck climb over extreme obstacles a normal truck would never be able to do. It comes at a cost though. If you try and overload the truck, or try towing something heavy (over 10,000 Ibs) you will cause a rocking motion (front to back) that will only get worse the faster you go. It will get very unstable very fast. Of course driving on solid pavement will improve this greatly, but it still can happen on bumpy roads.
There, I actually commented on the actual topic !

Last edited:

HDN

I'm more interested in what they didn't call the truck. I know my wife has a few nicknames for it :ROFLMAO:

When I talk to people about it it's great seeing their reaction when I tell them that it's "the baby of the military cargo trucks" rofl

And no one realizes how true that is until you put one next to a five-ton and look at them side-by-side!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Rusty, You know me well enough. And it waz NOT me that asked which end!! My statement was the one my Grand Ma used when asking my brother and I "WHAT HAPPENED? WHO DID IT!" just before the switch made contact with one of our hind ends.
Got a pretty good idea that the Board Of Education (Paddle) in public schools and the switch or something similar at home has a lot to do with how most of us were raised. I don't think I am any worse off for the wear because of it either!

rustystud

Got a pretty good idea that the Board Of Education (Paddle) in public schools and the switch or something similar at home has a lot to do with how most of us were raised. I don't think I am any worse off for the wear because of it either!
Sadly this new generation has no idea what real punishment is. If you "offend them" they think your being mean and cruel ! I fear for the future of this country. :cry:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks