• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why is finding this pipe such a pain ?

Well , I am slowly repairing my M54A1 with the Mack engine. Well it was in the accident before I got it. It's a J pipe with a flange on one end. I have called Eastern Surplus, and several others, no go. Called Memphis Equipment , they told me they had it, I asked several times , are they sure it was for a Mack ? Several times the salesman said yes. Well it arrives, they shipped the dam pipe for a newer truck for a Cummins. I just cannot win ........ I hope this is not the pipe they ment, as the price I paid was nearly double what it sells for.
If my pipe was not bent and kinked, I would use it. I also cannot bring myself to use crappy flex pipe. Does any one have this pipe ?

image.jpg

AMGeneral

Welcome to the world of the Mack powered trucks,I'll go ahead and tell you,NO ONE carries that particular J pipe for a 5 ton,the Mack engine in the 5 tons was and still is a rarity,so not many dealers stock parts for them.

I have had to make all 3 of my J pipes for all my A1 trucks,it's a 3 1/2 inch OD pipe, and you just have to fit different angles together to make it fit correctly.

I have been using 2 90 degree mandrel bent pipes and fabricating the odd bend to the turbo,as long as you have the bell flange that attaches to the turbo outlet,the rest can be welded up.

To add more problems,the radiator is also Mack specific,as is the fan,alternator pulley,throttle linkage,and wiring harness.

An A2 wiring harness will work,with some re-wiring.

Plus,just a added note,unlike the A2 trucks,the Macks absoutely hate to burn anything other than straight diesel fuel,the pumps themselves just wont cope with anything other than that.

Last edited:

NovacaineFix

I don't know much about the Mack engines, but if that pipe is that hard to find, why not have a local muffler shop make you a pipe?

Back when I worked as an auto-tech, the shop I was in last had a pipe bender/former that could make flanges and reducers and all that stuff, and we weren't even a muffler/exhaust shop.
The size we were limited to was 2.5", due to we just worked on civi cars and trucks, but some shops have a 3" and larger bender/former machine.

Maybe you have already investigated this, not sure, if not maybe give that a look, may be cheaper than the pipe you are looking for already made.

It figures I end up with a freak . And it figures too that this mangled and bent pipe has no rust. Its too bend and kinked to try and make a copy. I would love to take the truck over get the pipe bent and fitted, but sad to say, the nearest place that bends or makes pipes is well over 40 miles away. I guess I am going to leave it for last when I finish all the other repairs.

Thanks All for trying. If I ever get a good pipe, I am going to have a few made.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks