• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WHY is my CUCV PINK?

waayfast

Front line tactical vehicle in the war against breast cancer! (the pink ribbons and everything------) Seriously-- if yer gonna try the wipe it down with thinner trick be sure to wear the standard safety gear(respirator-rubber gloves etc). Keep Mr. Liver happy and and he will keep you happy.

Pawnshop

I am leaning toward the theories of a quick and dirty paint job done to make this truck stand out for some reason (range duty etc...), the paint, and I think it is paint and not primer, looks like it was applied very quickly with a broom or coarse brush, and they were not too worried about 100% coverage!

Attachments

Pawnshop

you got to ask yourself WHY DID I BUY PINK ?
I bet you wont show up at a rally in pinky. :razz:
The pink paint made it cheap! It's mechanically sound but cosmetically challenged:), it made the 400mi trip home in fine fashion and was not forklift mangled save for one dent on the passenger side.

And I MIGHT show to a rally in Pinky.. In fact I think I WILL do one with her in her raw state! We have one coming up this Saturday and the M35 I was going to take is sort of down at the moment, and I bet she will be the only pink one out there!

Pawnshop

I will take photos, and a lot of ribbing I'm sure from Rory and Sarge.. but it will be fun!

Mineral spirits does not budge the pink, but lacquer thinner takes it right off.. is it cheaper and easier to remove the pink than paint over it? NO, but I can use the thinner to clean up the window rubbers and other stuff so it's still good to know. RAPCO, get ready for a 383 CARC order:)

waayfast

HHHMMM, if that paint job was a "quicky" (for whatever reason) then you can be about 100% sure they didn't spend much time prepping for proper adhesion of that wonderful coat of pink. I'd bet the paint crew just grabbed the broom and got right with it and didn't even wash let alone sand the existing surface for the new paint to stick. Taking it(pink) off down to a base that is "stuck" good (Probly the 383 green) will insure you don't have your new paint fall off when the pink falls off. Actually you may get lucky and attack it with a pressure washer--it may blast it right off without using the Laquer thinner.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sam, you are taking Pinky on Saturday???
We were just talking and realized that due to uh... commitments (yeah, that's it), we can't leave at the same time as you to convoy up.
Not sure when you are leaving, but we can't leave then....

:-D

Cheers

Pawnshop

HHHMMM, if that paint job was a "quicky" (for whatever reason) then you can be about 100% sure they didn't spend much time prepping for proper adhesion of that wonderful coat of pink. I'd bet the paint crew just grabbed the broom and got right with it and didn't even wash let alone sand the existing surface for the new paint to stick. Taking it(pink) off down to a base that is "stuck" good (Probly the 383 green) will insure you don't have your new paint fall off when the pink falls off. Actually you may get lucky and attack it with a pressure washer--it may blast it right off without using the Laquer thinner.

You make a very good point, I will have to prep well! Unfortunately the pink is adhered too well to blast off, I will have to find another way to do it.

Pawnshop

Sam, you are taking Pinky on Saturday???
We were just talking and realized that due to uh... commitments (yeah, that's it), we can't leave at the same time as you to convoy up.
Not sure when you are leaving, but we can't leave then....

:-D

Cheers
You cheeky Git! I thought I was going to bring up the rear (no trouser bandit jokes... there may be children and sensitive types lurking about) with the flashy light deployed! I see how it is...

3dubs

I know this is a dumb question. But does lacquer thinner remove the CARC? I need another CUCV but need to get it cheap and running. I can't drive it pink, my wife would pick on me too much. She is already ticked off at my last GL purchase. So I would like to know how the best way to get it off is even if I do not get a pink or white CUCV. I will not even give you a hard time about the pink, only a few snickers.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cheeky git??? I haven't been called that in a long time!rofl

From her expression, I think perhaps Her Majesty may have just seen Pinky and be told its her new ride.

Cheers