• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why is my M1123 black?

Lowmaks

I've been searching Google and SS for weeks not wanting to ask this silly question. I've read a lot about the factory paint and painting and repainting techniques, but I can't find anything on why/who/when these trucks get different paint than the woodland or tan schemes. I've seen these trucks in all black (mine), all white, and terra cotta for sale from GP. Is it GovPlanet painting these?
I guess my real question is who painted my M1123 black and why?

(edited for grammar/clarification)

Last edited:

Lowmaks

Also, the only information GP would/could give me about the truck's history is that it was deployed overseas with Marine Corps...if that helps.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was looking at some CUCV's in the past that were all black and were painted by local swat teams in the past.

Lowmaks

I was looking at some CUCV's in the past that were all black and were painted by local swat teams in the past.
I am pretty sure (not 100%) that the only parties to have had this HMMWV were the Marine Corps, GovPlanet, and me. There probably isn't another way to tell though. No CARFAX for MVs lol

(Edited for autocorrect)

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes the local gov groups did turn vehicles back in to the government. Does it look like a half baked or professional paint job?

Lowmaks

Sometimes the local gov groups did turn vehicles back in to the government. Does it look like a half baked or professional paint job?
Definitely a military job. There are runs, missed spots, and I haven't seen any green under the flaws in the paint. It looks like it goes strait from black to metal in the bed where the only bad chips came up.

Lowmaks

The best way to describe it would be that it looked like someone who knew what they were doing did the paint very quickly. Full coverage over everything metal, but too much in a couple spots, the entire bottom is the same color, but there is over spray and drips even on the tires. The roof, hood, doors, and exterior of the bed look very good, but the bed has one big chip with no other color visible before the metal. Its at least 2 full coats judging again by chipping, and the bottom (undercarriage) has lots of drip spots.

Lowmaks

Wait., no green or light tan primer?
Not in the bed where the only bad chip came up, but the hood retaining clip had some green where the black coat missed, and the entire interior is green. I haven't seen tan anywhere on this truck. A small chip came off the half shaft boot when it flexed, and there was red in the chip. IDK

Lowmaks

Wait., no green or light tan primer?
So there are a few spots with the green primer, but only between parts not normally accessible without removal. All the exterior stuff seems to be straight from metal to flat black...2 coats, likely a black primer and flat black top coat. I have absolutely no clue. Hence, my inquiry to the more knowledgeable MV members... (thanks so far)

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would call GP's "contractor" in Albany and ask them why they painted your truck that color. My favorite is the red oxide primer colored one.

Lowmaks

I would call GP's "contractor" in Albany and ask them why they painted your truck that color. My favorite is the red oxide primer colored one.
I don't know if it was them or if the military or other government entity would have painted them. I figured GP would just sell them as is for biggest profit. Are you guessing it was them or do you know?

Action

Wow! 13 of the 19 posts are from the OP. Seriously, though, how would we know who painted your truck? Look for an autograph in the lower corner.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know if it was them or if the military or other government entity would have painted them. I figured GP would just sell them as is for biggest profit. Are you guessing it was them or do you know?
I have seen 18 billion HMMWVs and they are either NATO 3 color or sand. Maybe a few were painted up for recruiting. GP's people painted these ex-USMCs and installed the "Plan B" doors etc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks