• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why is my MEP 803a not putting out voltage?????/????

titoveli

The generator is not putting out voltage where the main wires connects. but it only putting out voltage through the outlet. what can cause this i need this fix please help.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
The K1 relay is nötig closing When You push S5 Up.

Is this set new to You? Have You ever Seen it work Right. When You Start the set, are any idiot Lights on? Do You have the TM's Downloaden and at Least Read the Operators Manual.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Silly question... but did you DID push S5 up, right? The outlets always have power, even with the switch not closed.

titoveli

The K1 relay is nötig closing When You push S5 Up.

Is this set new to You? Have You ever Seen it work Right. When You Start the set, are any idiot Lights on? Do You have the TM's Downloaden and at Least Read the Operators Manual.
i had this generator a couple of months now always used the outlet never the lugs. I recently hookd up the Inova auto starting kit "Would that cause a problem like this?". i have the manual downloaded already but cant find nothing on it. The generator start good but no voltage atall on the lugs just the plug. i should have check this when i got it. what is nötig ??????

Guyfang

Staff member
Notig is my I-pad loosing it's mind. It's suddenly decided to auto correct in German.

so answer the questions, both Light in the Dark, and mine.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Titoveli... what kind of power are you looking to get? 120V? 120/240V, or 2083ph? Lets start with the basics, to make sure you know what you want.

The S8 needs to be set appropriately to what you want, as does the AM/VM on the face of the machine. Lets start there. This might be an easy fix. Might not be too, but lets find out.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The S5 says 'AC Circuit Interrupter' on the gauge panel. You have a choice to push down on it, to open the circuit, and lift up to close it (ie... send power to the lugs). When you send power to the lugs, the green light above it lights up.

Edit: Crappy MS Paint arrow, but this is what I am talking about.
AC Interrupter.png

titoveli

Titoveli... what kind of power are you looking to get? 120V? 120/240V, or 2083ph? Lets start with the basics, to make sure you know what you want.

The S8 needs to be set appropriately to what you want, as does the AM/VM on the face of the machine. Lets start there. This might be an easy fix. Might not be too, but lets find out.
i want 120/240V

Guyfang

Staff member
It's 7 minuets before 24:00 and this old soldier is going to bed ifyou need much more time. LITD, you got this?

Last edited:

titoveli

The S5 says 'AC Circuit Interrupter' on the gauge panel. You have a choice to push down on it, to open the circuit, and lift up to close it (ie... send power to the lugs). When you send power to the lugs, the green light above it lights up.

Edit: Crappy MS Paint arrow, but this is what I am talking about.
View attachment 741576
i did push that up. well i just tap it up and it came back down i never saw the light on. should that stay up?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK so if you want 240V, with the machine shut down, you want to open the gauge panel and look to the back wall. In the middle you will see a large switch with S8 printed above it in small white letters. Find this switch... and set it to 240V (NEVER with the machine on!) You have just told the machine you want 240V, so it will be energizing the appropriate lugs (L1 and L3, in this case).

So with that set, you will want to shut the operator control panel, and look to the AM/VM connection switch. You will want to set it to the 3 o clock position (which if you look at the writing on it, its going to tell you the same info... 1ph, with which legs are being energized).

So with both of those things now set, turn the machine back on, and let it get up to operating temperature. Once there, push that switch up to 'close' the circuit. The light should come on, and you should have power at the lugs.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When using S5 you should only need to push it up for a moment and then release it. It's return to the center position. The green light above it should come on indicating the contactor has closed and power should be present at the lugs. If the green light does not come on it generally indicates the contactor has not closed and power is not present at the lugs. It may be due to the Inova installation since I believe it connects to S5 and may have messed up the contactor operation. Not sure if you can close the contactor manually with the Inova installed.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't speak to the Inova system, as I have never put one in (nor have any inclination to do so)... but the possibility definitely exists that it could be wired wrong, or that it does bypass elements (like the S5). Keep it simple, keep it operational.

titoveli

When using S5 you should only need to push it up for a moment and then release it. It's return to the center position. The green light above it should come on indicating the contactor has closed and power should be present at the lugs. If the green light does not come on it generally indicates the contactor has not closed and power is not present at the lugs. It may be due to the Inova installation since I believe it connects to S5 and may have messed up the contactor operation. Not sure if you can close the contactor manually with the Inova installed.
the Inova kit doesnt connect to the S5
I can't speak to the Inova system, as I have never put one in (nor have any inclination to do so)... but the possibility definitely exists that it could be wired wrong, or that it does bypass elements (like the S5). Keep it simple, keep it operational.
im possitive that i connected the inova kit right. the only thing i regret that i never check for voltage on the lugs ever i only use the outlet. i didnt see the green light on well it was daylight outside i doubt i would have notice a green light on

Ray70

titoveli, You might want to remove the cover panel over the front 1/2 of the machine, the K1 relay is under that cover, behind the rear wall of the control box. On the front edge of the K1 relay there are 4 small wires. 2 wires send 24VDC to the relay from S5 and ground to close the relay and the other 2 send 24VDC back to the green light above S5 to illuminate it when the relay is closed. Check the Circuit interuptor test procedure in the TM to verify which wires are which and test accordingly. This will tell you if you have a faulty K1 relay or no power getting to it from S5. You can also jump the appropriate wires with 24V to close the relay and verify you have continuity through the relay on the 3 sets of mail power wires running through it. Obviously, do this with the machine OFF!

jamawieb

What the auto start kit does is connects at terminal 10 of the auto start board to K8 terminal 12. K8 terminal 12 goes to S5 to activate the contactor to send power to the lugs. Just remember that you need to disconnect the load before turning it off unless you purchased the additional relay that will disconnect the power at the lugs before it powers down.