• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why is my resistor missing and this wire hooked up like this?

reaper556

In my quest of learning and getting my basket case M1008 running I realize before starting im actually missing the whole resistor bank from the firewall and the wire that would normally exit the resistor to what im assuming is the relay is actually hooked up the diamond. Why would this have been done?

In the last photo is that remnants of a ground strap or wire that connects the bottom negative bank of the bus bar to the pos. top side?

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your truck has has the GLow plug system require from 24v to 12v. Many members do this to save their glow plugs. There are many threads covering this.

The last picture is the noise suppressor for the military radios. It is not needed and can be removed.

cucvrus

Because someone did that to by pass the resistors. I don't know why or understand the reason. I just never do it and never had any issues. Sorry I can not help. I have the parts that you are missing if you want them.

Search "resistor bypass" for the info you're looking for. The reason to do it is now your glow plugs won't have a cascading failure if one goes bad. Now that it's done you want to buy AC Delco 60g glow plugs when/if you replace the existing plugs. You'll also need to splice on some new connectors when you do that (if it hasn't been done).

MarcusOReallyus

Because someone did that to by pass the resistors. I don't know why or understand the reason. I just never do it and never had any issues. Sorry I can not help. I have the parts that you are missing if you want them.
Give it a rest, Rick. You aren't stupid. The reasons have been explained to you time and time again. You don't agree it's needed? Fine, don't do it. Go ahead and say you don't agree with it and don't think it's needed. But stop pretending you "don't know why or understand the reason".

cucvrus

It don't hurt me. My vehicles are all running and I still don't care the reason why they are disconnected. They work fine at my end and they are all connected. Been connected for 20+ years. Everyone can do what they want but I don't go for making it a general rule that you tell the new guy to disconnect it because it will give you problems. It is like anything else. Can it fail yes. Can it be replaced yes. Opinion opinion. Keep it connected and the glow plugs cycle properly and work fine. The glow plugs will be drawn from both batteries and charging system. That is about all I am going to say about that. Have a good day. Go bully someone else with your propaganda. You had no dog in this fight.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take it outside guys.

Rick you do know why some people do the modification. From now on just say you disagree and leave it at that.

Better yet write a thread about "why" you leave your trucks stock and I will make it a sticky. That way others can make up their own mind.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I said take it outside.

This applies to everyone.

If not then posts will be deleted like the one I just deleted

Last edited: