• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

why is my steering wheel all sticky

Numbers

I know I could take this the wrong way real quick and my post will not make it any easier.

Is the sticky stuff have any color to it ? My Jeep Cherokee is a 1992 and it oozes what is left of the foam surrounding the steering wheel. Covering it with what looks like black oil/grease. Only way to truly fix this issue is to replace the steering wheel. You could find a sealer to spray on it (which would only be a temporary fix). All I did was put a steering wheel cover on it the same color and it seems to have hidden the issue.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow!! Watch it, kids may be reading these threads.

Seriously, most likely it is just sweat, grime, and oil. A degreaser and a lot of scrubbing should clean it up, however, I vote for a replacement wheel. I've found them at salvage yards but they're just as bad, so maybe LMC.

Westech

CPL
ok.... here we go.. The reason for the steering wheel becoming all sticky is the polymers are starting to degrade and "leak" out. you can wipe it off with paint thinner but he is right you will have to replace it.
" Seriously, most likely it is just sweat, grime, and oil" if that were true my whole truck would be slime. Really?

CA_CUCV

Wow!! Watch it, kids may be reading these threads.

Seriously, most likely it is just sweat, grime, and oil. A degreaser and a lot of scrubbing should clean it up, however, I vote for a replacement wheel. I've found them at salvage yards but they're just as bad, so maybe LMC.
I agree it is most likely from dirty sweaty hands, I call it "hand mung". It takes a little work to clean it off, but it's not too difficult.

Wolf.Dose

To my opinion there are two possibilities: The steering wheel is simply very dirty, which means you have to clean ist very well.
The second is that someone before tried to clean the wheel with some impropper solvent that is agressive to the polymere material of the wheel. The solvent is in the whell and likely will not come out any more. Replace the wheel by an other one. I have one hanging on the wall, but this will not realy help you.
Wolf

jw4x4

I suggest using a non-solvent cleaner, such as Simple Green, or even a solution of trisodiumphosphate (TSP). That will remove any grease/grime and not harm the wheel. If it is stock, I also have one in the garage that I could send if you cover the shipping.

acmunro

I have one like that too. I think baking in the sun and not being driven is what does it. I am going to try some denatured alcohol solvent. It seems to be plastic friendly and should be available in the paint section at the hardware store.

71blksuper4x4

A couple of you guys were right, it is actually the polymers breaking down in the cushion part. I have restored a couple of steering wheels like this out of old muscle cars. What I found that works the best is to use different spray cleaners, and a couple boxes of Mr. Clean Magic Erasers that can be found at any Dollar General stores or Grocery stores. You can get cheaper non-Mr. Clean ones at Dollar Generals though. They tend to break down pretty quick, so I recommend getting 2-3 boxes of them, but they work really well for getting the goo off. You might also get some goo gone while you are at it as well. Trevor

I had a major problem with this when I picked up my M1009. It was annoying enough that I bought some cheap mechanics gloves for the drive back. Since then though, it seems to have gotten less tacky as time goes by. May be related to humidity, or lack thereof in my case.

combatmech

I have the same problem....it's freakn humid here in Norfolk. Only does it after it has rained.
I wiped it down with an armor all interior cleaning wipe...seems to do the trick. BTW....after cleaning....that thing was NASTY

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks