• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why is the wheelbase on the driver's side om my 1009 an inch longer than the pass..?

soulbrojosh

I have been having some rubbing issues with the front, passenger side tire on my 1009. I currently have 33x12.5x15lt on all 4 corners. the tire only rubs when the suspension is engaged on a right turn. I spoke with a Tuffy mechanic who told me that i should measure the distance between the front and rear hubs, on both sides. The drivers side is an inch longer. My question is what would cause this? Bad spring bushings, has the axle shifted, a loose u-bolt on the pass springs? Is it something that i can fix; short of cutting my fenders.

I have tried searching the forums, and haven't had much luck. I see that a lot of members have no problems with 33's but it looks like a lot of the 33's are 10.5 not 12.5.

cpf240

I would guess that something has shifted, as you already mentioned. Having a frame shop look at it wouldn't hurt either.

Having said that, the size tires you have on there are, in general, a hit or miss thing as to whether they will rub or not. It seems to vary from truck to truck, and tire make/model, etc.

Skinny

A very flat surface (preferably concrete), a plumb bob, chalk, and a tape measure will answer your questions. Take a few points on each side then compare. You may also be able to dig up some service measurements if you know someone who works at a collision center.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your tires are too big.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BFG 33x12.5 will not rub if your front end springs are good and no GL forklifts into the fenders:) They look good also

soulbrojosh

Thanks, Doghead! But i like them, and they will stay unless it is cheaper to buy 4 smaller tires instead of buying new front leafs...or whatever else the prob may be.

soulbrojosh

thanks Recovry4x4... i will have to wait until it stops raining before i can get underneath it and check...but since i started this thread, i have had some starter issues and am in the process of trolling the threads to find some answers (riding on the shoulders of giants!!)

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've run BFG 33/12.50-15's on half ton GM Pickup, Blazer, and Suburbans for 40 years without lift or problems. That is with GM 8" wide wheels.

soulbrojosh

While i was wiring in my push button GP, i was waiting for my drill battery to charge. I decided to check out the underside of the front end and noticed that the pass side sway bar front frame mount bushing was torn up.
Would this cause my front axle to head rearwards? Because all of the other parts looked solid.

Drock

The sway bar serves no structural purpose so no. However it could be ah good indicator as to your problem. As Recovery said about the leaf spring center pin. Or someone could have hit ah tree stump or curb really good and simply bent something like the leaf spring itself. I would take some careful cross measurements of the frame and engine bay to determine if the truck body & frame are straight. If so then you'll know your problems in the suspension.

Drock

If there's frame damage or bent suspension components, at best an alignment would only mask the problem. Assuming they could even get it TO align. The truck would run down the road like ah crab and do some weird things when you changed lanes, AND still wear out the tires. It should only take ah creeper, ah friend to hold the tape, and half ah beer to do ah couple "X" or cross measurements using bolts or bolt holes in the frame that are the same on both sides. Then you'll know what your dealing with and can make an informed decision.

soulbrojosh

That sounds easy enough...I work next to a Tuffy and one of the alignment techs mentioned something about these trucks being off center on purpose, something about a shorter turning radius to one side. Any truth to that. I am still gonna be on the creeper taking some measurements, but just curious?

Drock

I think what he is referring to is what's called the (Ackerman angle). And yes, solid axle trucks would have strange turning issues where one tire (Usually the inside tire) turns more then the other due to the tie rod design. However your extreme caster/camber issue suggests something's way out of whack. Such as bent frame, or bent or worn suspension parts. Taking your cross measurements is FAST and FREE! and could save you ah lot of time and $$$$$ of replacing ah bunch of parts that didn't need to be replaced if the frame is bent.

soulbrojosh

Got ya. Is that turning issue because of that really long bar that sits in front of the steering stabilizer? What is that called, not a draglink, i'm guessing? I get the feeling that this beast hasn't had any front end parts replaced, ever. To be honest, i am a tad bit intimidated by the size of the components, am used to smaller vehicles. But i am up to the challenge.

Drock

Without getting overly technical, (Ackerman angle) has to do with the angle (for & aft) of the top of the spindle +steering arm length vs tie rod + suspension travel. So basically as you turn your wheels ,and the suspension travels up and down the geometry of your steering changes. Thus making your wheels toe in or out. I'm sure someone much smarter then me could explain it better, Mama June perhaps:grd:

Triple C

I was in a wreck with a 4x4 pickup that had the frame bent. When it came back from the shop the driver side (the side it was hit on) was an inch shorter hub to hub than the passenger side. The shop told me it was a bent axle housing (not sure why they didn't find it when they fixed the truck!) As mentioned, the springs/bracket are a good bet but I would check the frame for existing or repaired damage. Good luck.

soulbrojosh

Drock, I wikipedia'd the Ackerman angle and it gave a pretty good descripition of what it was (for once). I am definitely gonna be on my back under this truck this weekend. Thanks for all of the tips!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks