• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why is this site so slow...???

CycleJay

Hi Guys,

I agree with Mikev, and Truckoholic..
I have noticed it too, but as with those guys, other sites load just fine on this laptop.

I deal with it so I do not worry about it..

Good day,

CJ

SPCWarning

SS works as fast as any other site out in the Northern Sahara Desert. It must be something in the OP's connections. Everything is much slower due to local carriers in the desert, but loading two tabs like SS and GL, google, yahoo, or others all take exactly the same time. Opening a thread, classified, etc...........same time.
At home we're on DSL and it's a LOT quicker than at work, so no complaints from me. Just glad I can still get on here!:D

Jimmy

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think its "USER ERROR", The computer your using might need to be updated. Clean out t your cache and cookies. I click from page to page with out any problems when I have a good connection. Lately there has been an issue with AT&T 4G personal wifi other than that its a fast site. Patracy has it down pat. 2cents

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
At times it is slow, think it depends on how many are trying to post at the same time, I may complain to the wife at times, all she says is "your old and slow so it is working at your speed", then I hit refresh and just continue.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I access the site with Verizon 3G it is slower, because 3G is way slower than my cable internet.

With cable internet it is slower for posts to process than most sites, but nothing to complain about.

When the site or the web host is under heavy load then it does run a bit slower than some.

What many people don't realize is that it costs money to host a site. If you want to spend a LOT of money you can make it go fast All Day All Night. I don't see where the $15 I paid is going to cover that, and if it stays free for anyone who doesn't voluntarily contribute then the only way to get money for a faster web host is by selling...

Flash Banner Ad Space. Which is now the primary vector for malware attacks. That, would be a bad thing.

So here are some choices.

1. Continue as it is with voluntary donations and the hosting we can afford, and include everyone who can't donate.

2. Whore out our site to miscreants who are happy to help support us in exchange for being able to sneakily attack our computers though the web browser, steal our banking information and destroy our lives.

3. Charge money for memberships. $35 a month per member would make it real fast and pay for a dedicated team of developers to jump at every member's whim.

So those ^^ are the choices as I seem them. I am sure others have a different perspective, but I like things the way they are and really appreciate those of you who volunteer your time and abilities. :beer:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Did you see how much bellyaching there was for a $15 permium membership?!!!!!
At $35, some members might run out and kill themselves!

Wait, maybe thats a good thing.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At times it is slow, think it depends on how many are trying to post at the same time, I may complain to the wife at times, all she says is "your old and slow so it is working at your speed", then I hit refresh and just continue.
I wish my wife had a "refresh" button. :razz:

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clarification offered...

My speed issue is due to not having access to DSL (rural location) and not willing to sign a two year contract for satelite internet, so the Verizon internet service via a Samsung Galaxy tablet was the only option for me...

The top of SS always loads with the two ads as well, just the rest of the page is very slow, pictures load slow and frequent refreshes are needed on my end. Speed is still slow during very late hours when most members are asleep...

So, maybe nothing can be done and it is my 3G interface that is the problem; however, I will say graphics intensive eBay and other sites load much faster.

Thanks for replying everyone!

3dAngus

If you're having to refresh often, it's likely your cache fetching from your slow disk drive and trying to reload from there.

Clear out your cache and history daily. I do mine several times a day. It will make other things run faster too.

No problems with speed here. Pages come up just before I click for them. :p

1stSarge

It's not the site that's slow, it's the people.:deadhorse:

v. re·tard·ed, re·tard·ing, re·tards

v.tr. -To cause to move or proceed slowly; delay or impede.

v.intr. -To be delayed.

n. -A slowing down or hindering of progress; a delay.

Courtesy of thefreedictionary.com

Sorry, Chris made me do it...:D:gimp2:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:roll: A correct diagnosis, is half the battle of fixing the problem. [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks