• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why is this trailer worth over a $1000

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They're popular right now. They're also in current service, the Army just has too many so some are coming out on the surplus market. I've seen them priced at $2000 retail. I don't know if they're selling at that price, but Mose folks think they will.

buck

There have been a couple of M101A2's that went over $1000 + fees and tax lately, so I don't know if that's out of line for a 1101/1102 or not. But I think it's a crazy price for an A2.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
They're popular right now. They're also in current service, the Army just has too many so some are coming out on the surplus market. I've seen them priced at $2000 retail. I don't know if they're selling at that price, but Mose folks think they will.
It's not that the Army is excess, it is that these specific trailers require MWO's that cost more to fix (in parts and labor) than the MEL authorizes. Therefore even if they are so new, they are not considered cost effective to repair and removed from the system.

I know one guy that was directed to turn in 75 of these trailers but he was short well over 100 before he even turned them in.

Oh well.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my neck of the woods we have turned in quite few because we're excess. I haven't been on station long enough to know how we ended up so many over MTOE. I suppose as the MTOE changed we ended up with more trailers than necessary. Same goes for other equipment. HMMWV's, FMTV's etc. We have more than authorized, but with the other equipment some have been transferred to other units. MWOs were applied to these trailers long ago, and they've seen very little use since. I was guessing that they were surplussed because they weren't needed elsewhere in the Army, otherwise lateral transfers would have been directed, or they should have gone from DRMO to elsewhere in DA or DoD, not to GL.

Fresno

I just picked 2 M1102 at Ft. Riley in Kansas. Each 2,200. That said mfg 2010. Brand new, new papers, packing, never used. Several others also brand new. Why? :deadhorse:

CGarbee

I picked up one recently for a fellow member.
It towed nicely, had some nice features...had some things that I didn't like about it (small, but looked like a committee had designed it and not totally thought about how it would actually be used...).

Unless I had a HMMWV, I wouldn't purchase one.

I find that a M101 series works much better behind the vehicles that I own (M37's and a Suburban) for my hauling needs.

A buddy of mine who recenly retired from the Army said that they "never" used these trailers...even though they had them... Honestly, the only time I've seen one in use was last month at Bragg when I saw four of them hauling pine tags off the golfcourse...

As far as the original question? Don't forget to factor in the number of units being sold at a given auction... Sometimes when you only have a couple, they go high when folks fight over them, sometimes when you have a lot a dealer snags them all and they go higher... It all comes down to how badly folks what them on a given day and who "shows" up to bid...

LuckyDog

... had some nice features...had some things that I didn't like about it ...
What were the features you liked/disliked? Just curious.

Unless I had a HMMWV, I wouldn't purchase one.

I find that a M101 series works much better behind the vehicles that I own (M37's and a Suburban) for my hauling needs.
I considering trying to get an M101A3 because of the 48" between wheel wells and the surge brake. BUT I have considered an 1101/2. Would you mind talking me out of it?

CGarbee

What were the features you liked/disliked? Just curious.

I considering trying to get an M101A3 because of the 48" between wheel wells and the surge brake. BUT I have considered an 1101/2. Would you mind talking me out of it?
A long winded reply, but you asked...

Oh, dumb little things...
The tie down points (very nice, heavy ones) are all in a dual row from front to rear of the bed just inside the wheel wells. I tossed six medical chests in the trailer for the ride home and covered every one. There are no tie down points in the corners...
The rear lights have no impact protection on the inside of the bed (and the trailer I picked up had the plastic bodied composit lights). Cargo shifts just right or you do something funky while loading and you can hose the light or the wiring.
The tailgate, even though you can easily remove the suport cable (just like the ones on a recent production civilian pickup), still does not drop completely down so you can't back up tight to a loading dock or pull a forklift right up to the rear of the bed (I have the same issue with the M101 and similar, but you would have hoped that they would have "fixed it" by now...).
The bed stabalizer legs (two of them) ride up front and are then mounted to attachment points at the rear. They don't screw up and down like the ones on a M101a1 but have adjustment pins/holes. Not a real issue, but you do have to tote them from the front to the rear and I can see leaving them at the campsite one day when bugging out in the rain or such. I can also see catching a pant leg on the rear mounting points...
The axle is set closer to the rear than the front, it appears that you are going to be tongue heavy almost all the time (with the loads I usually cary, I can almost guarantee it).
Did I say that it was much wider than the Suburban? It'll be wider than my M37's as well. Not a real issue going down the Interstate, but a tad tight on some trails, parking lots (drive through window is going to be a "no-no"), and when meeting traffic on some of the narrow bridges near my home.
The tailgate latches require removing a pin, then flipping the retainer plate. It's a two part operation on each side. They could have just made the retainer plate and extension of the tailgate so that it would have just been a matter of pulling the pin on each side...

Possitive notes
The trailer towed really well.
The tail lights are mounted up high for better visability, and it has clearance lights as well.
It has a jerry can holder on the tongue (ok, that also adds to the tongue weight, but it is nice at times to have one more jerry can along for the ride...)
The front suport leg cranks up and down (pull the pin and rotate it, or remove it completely as well when going down the road for even more clearance) and has a wheel so you can easily shove it around the driveway and hitch/unhitch. Of course, it also makes it easier for someone to "borrow" the assembly...
It's an aluminum body...

The M101 series also tows really well (I have panic braked from 85mph to 0mph with them loaded and they have stayed right in line behind the tow vehicle...). I have them in multiple versions (M101, M101A1, M101A2) and have towed the M101a3. They all behave well. I've added tie downs to my personal use trailers (in the bed corners). I like having the full racks on the sides and front along with the "barn dooor" racks over the tailgate. I've got plenty of bed length to play with the tongue weight and that the axle is in the mid-point of the bed. I like having the rear stabalizer pinned to the bed with an infinitely adjustable height. I can easily shove them around on dry ground or a paved parking lot by hand when they are empty. I wish that all of them had a crank up leg when they are full and I have to hitch them by myself, but I have hi-lift jacks on the hauling vehicles to help.
I like having heavy tie down points for the tarp that are located half way down the bed sides, they make good points to hook a small ratchet strap or tie down rope. The tires/rims match my towing vehicles as does the widths...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks