• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why is this unplugged and why does my truck run better without it?

camarossguy2

6.2l with banks turbo kit. I assume the IP has turned up a 1/4 turn.

Anyway, Trucks been running great for months and a few months ago I cleaned up all the wiring. While doing this, I found the 'cold temp advance switch' in the back right side of the motor was unplugged as well as the a terminal on the IP itself (see picture). So I plugged them back in. It definitely sounds different on cold starts, but after a few minutes, the idle sound does change.
At first I did not pay to much attention, but the other day it felt like the truck wasn't running well. It was spitting at black smoke all the time, even at idle. Felt like it took a lot of throttle to keep her at highway speeds.
So I unplugged the terminal on the IP again. Runs great lol! only smokes when accelerating before the turbo kicks in.

I assume that there is some kinda fault with my cold advance switch or solenoid? Thoughts?
Thanks guys!

Attachments

Keith_J

Timing and throttle position are adjusted with this circuit when engine is cool. If base timing is overly advanced, this could be an issue.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It could be with the turbo kit to use the cold temp curcuit off to keep the timing retarded for the turbo setup. Just a thought.

Mark

Barrman

The banks kit was designed as a stand alone add on kit. Besides turning the fuel up just a tad, nothing else is meant to be changed with the engine.

I think Keith is right on with the initial timing of your IP a bit too advanced. The cold start advance solenoid being on just makes it more advanced. You might also have a stuck "on" sensor at the outside rear of the passenger head. Anytime the key is on there is supposed to be 12 volts to one side of that sensor. Voltage is only supposed to go through that sensor when the coolant temperature is below 95°. So, if you unplugging that green wire at the IP caused a change. I think your sensor switch is stuck on. Put a volt meter or test light on it with the engine warm and see if both sides show 12 volts to find out.

camarossguy2

All good points, I will start diagnosing now that i have some ideas.

I would assume with the solenoid unplugged, its running the base timing (and the truck runs great). Since it runs bad when plugged in, its either stuck, or being told to advance the fuel when its not suppose to be. Possible its bad, or the temp sensor is bad etc.
I will report back!

nyoffroad

All good points, I will start diagnosing now that i have some ideas.

I would assume with the solenoid unplugged, its running the base timing (and the truck runs great). Since it runs bad when plugged in, its either stuck, or being told to advance the fuel when its not suppose to be. Possible its bad, or the temp sensor is bad etc.
I will report back!
I think the timing is already advanced all the time and when you plug it back in it's advanced to much. Like said above probably done for the turdblower. I'd leave it alone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks