• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why not 10w30

K5cucvEOD

Just throwing this out there. Why does everyone say to run 15w40 when the visor says 10w30. 15w40 is for turbo diesels, NO? I live in Alaska, and the visor advises to run 10w30 from 40 deg and below. Let me know your thoughts.[thumbzup]

BIG_RED

10w30 is ok, Just make sure it's diesel oil, Marked "C" ex: cf cd not "S" sf, sd. You need the soot handling ability. I run 15w40 all year round. It gets to -40* here sometimes. Thicker oil helps old beat up motors hold compression and can make up for worn bearings to some extent. Some also argue that it helps engines last longer. I can see how that would work, although I have no numerical data to support that claim. I say that if it starts with 15w40, I'd stick with it.

zout

Having different options is a good thing - and here are several other options if you have not considered them up there.

1. Coolant heater/elec plugged in to keep the engine coolant warm - therefore keeping your oil in a more stable condition.

2. Oil pan heater pad - keeps the oil warm so you can maintain a 15w40 lube - does not help with the coolant though.

Do you have to keep your battery on a charger in the area you are in ? So you might already have a power pole by your vehicles.

Monty

If your worried about the cold flow ability of the 15W40, look into running a synthetic oil.

There are no wax modifers in synthetic oil which allows them to flow better at cooler temps.

That's the skinny on it, there's more to it than that but thats a desicion if you want to run it.

I like Amsoil products so that's what I run, I liked them so much I became a dealer for them.

Take a look at their web site, find a local dealer and talk with them. See if they'll give you referance customers to talk to about the oil.

AMSOIL - Synthetic Oil, Motor and Engine Oil, Lubricants, Air Filters, Oil Filters and Greases Where it says I need products for type your trucks info crossed to a civillian model and it will give you a list of recomended products.

Good luck

motormayhem

I run rotella T in the winter and summer here in tucson...I believe it is the 15W-30, maybe 15W-40....the bottles I got even said meet milspec-XXX on the back which was one letter different than the number on the visor of the truck.

sierrajcharlie

I just picked up my first M1009 the other day. It started right up and we drove it on the trailer. So getting ready to go thru it and am planning on using the Rotella T5 10-30. From what I see on the bottle it meets all the needed specs and compares to SAE15-40. It gets really cold here in NE Iowa also in the winter. So hopefully it'll help with those cold morning starts. My two cents.

K5cucvEOD

Thanks for all your input. I have been running Royal Purple 15w40, and have nothing bad to say about it. seems to work well. Just wondering if people were following the guidelines on the back of the visor. Good info/:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks