• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why not go to electric fans ?

1951M1078

Went for a 45 mile drive and the fan was cycling on and off as it should. Then it seemed like I had not heard it and checked the gauge.230 Deg.+- . Slowed down and and got it to about 220-215 Deg. Let it sit for some time and was back to 200. Then drove home. Dumped all the air and the fan still did not come on?

When it did cycle it was only on for 9 sec. at a max. Little on the loud side. LOL

I have not done any trouble shooting yet. But it got me thinking? ( not a good thing )

What about going to a set of electric fans ?

So let the "Beating start". Ideas, Opinion ?

Randy

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Have to be something pretty thin. You could have an aux fan. Run your truck with the cab open. Open all 3 air tanks when they drain down the fan should engage.

1951M1078

I remember you saying that and that's what I did. No fan. But thanks.

Have not looked at it yet but was thinking the only thing that could keep it from working would be a jam inside the air clutch.
What do they look like inside ? Anybody have a photo.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Air keeps the fan off. No air it should come on. Clutch inside could be worn out. Drain all the air out of the system with the engine off and hand spin the fan. If it free wheels its a bad clutch.

1951M1078

Truck has been parked to 2 weeks. Maybe out of air by now ? LOL

Will open the air tanks and give it a try.

Thanks.

1stDeuce

An electric fan that could move the air that the engine fan moves would be HUGE, and probably draw 100A of power. I don't think such a beast even exists... After having electric fans on a few vehicles, I can tell you it isn't all it's supposed to be. I don't do that anymore, unless I have to. Fix what's there, and it should work fine for a long while.

snowtrac nome

if you look at cars equipped with electric fans the fans only come on at low speed to keep the engine cool. on your diesel that fan has to run even at high way speed to move enough air to keep the engine cool a electric fan that large would be crazy huge. the clutches are pretty easy to rebuild I did a couple on 855 cummins engines in Iraq.

Rebuilder

Check the air solenoid behind the kick panel on the passenger side. If it sticks it doesn't allow the air to escape so the fan won't engage. Test it by getting it up to the temp the fan should engage and tap it with a wrench. This happened to me and even when I took it apart and cleaned it it would still stick so I got a new one.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
These clutches are troublesome especially the older ones. You can disconnect the air line to test the fan if you have to. Its best to replace with new if the clutch is not working properly.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want to go electric, I have seen them on line, the miltary is using the following
Flex-a-lite's Low-Profile 230 pusher fan. It moves 2,500 cfm of air, draws just 19.5 amps, is easily connected to a 12-volt system, width of just 2 5/8 inches

1951M1078

Thanks all !

Dumped all the air in the tanks and the clutch works.
Ran it up to build pressure and the fan shut off.

Will need to pull the panel to have a look at the air valve.

Does the air valve have a electric relay to power it ? I have not looked at the manual.
Was thinking it could have one or the other sticking ? But will start with the air valve.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Its a on off solenoid that controls the air flow. Take off the passenger kick panel its mounted upside down above the ctis valve body.

1951M1078

I under stand that and where it is.

Is more when the temp switch closes does it switch a relay on? To turn on/off the air valve. Truck has some many relays.

snowtrac nome

mines acting the other way wont supply air to the clutch, I ve checked the solenoid it is working right I suspect a line disconnected and plugged some where

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These air valves are prone to sticking, probably the fact that they are mounted upside down doesn't help. Any contaminates or oil get down into the solenoid and cause it to stick. I took mine apart and cleaned it and now it works fine. As mentioned remove the passengers side kick panel, the valve/ solenoid is mounted upside down towards the right side.

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hoses should be long enough, the main issue would be fabbing a bracket so the valve could be flipped since the mounting holes are in the base. Shouldn't be too hard.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These air valves are prone to sticking, probably the fact that they are mounted upside down doesn't help. Any contaminates or oil get down into the solenoid and cause it to stick. I took mine apart and cleaned it and now it works fine. As mentioned remove the passengers side kick panel, the valve/ solenoid is mounted upside down towards the right side.
this was the problem with mine. Once it was cleaned up everything started working fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks