• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why pre checks can save your life.

mahdey

So my M35A2 has been parked since August. I decided, i should drive this thing today and let the fluids circulate some. I check tire pressures, ~42-45 psi, ok, I can let that go. Raise the hood, check coolant, oil, make sure no critters made a nest out of the air filter and all was good. Checked my lights, all operable. So I start her up. Not even a rev. of the starter and it fires right up. Not bad being it's been parked since august and it was 20 degrees out. I let it high idle and once it warmed up. I turned the heater on, slapped in some ear plugs and went to take off. I get down the driveway and press the brake pedal. Straight to the floor. Grab the PARK brake and hop to a stop. Thank God this was in my driveway doing 10mph and not on a street. Usually I don't need to even touch the brakes until I am on the main road, but I realized as I was starting down the drive I forgot to press the brake pedal to make sure it had resistance.

Lesson learned, pre checks can save your life...or a sheet ton of $$ in property damage.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good advice. Especially important in a deuce. Many suffer from the dissapearing BFS syndrome.

Dipstick

I've experienced disappearing brake fluid syndrome myself. In my case it was caused by two leaking rear brake cylinders. I always check brakes before I hit the road.

welldigger

I mounted mine on the firewall just so I wouldn't have to mess with that stupid trap door. I can even pressure bleed my brakes from the side panel. That valve in the picture is above a tee that I can hook my pressure bleeder to. I don't have to get under the truck except to bleed the air pack.

Regardless of where you mount it, a remote reservoir is an excellent idea on single circuit brakes. Mostly so the fluid level is easy to check. That way you will actually remember to check it.

Corvette1974

I had a similar disappearing BFS happen to me in a '47 Dodge 1.5 ton. Backed out of the barn, no brakes. I grabbed the parking brake and luckily it works really well. Drove right into the shop and filled MC. Never happened since, still check the MC every time now!

Will

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks