• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why remove runflats?

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It seems like almost every surplus tire dealer removes the run flats from the tires they sell. I'm referring to the big rubber donuts that can't even be given away for free afterwards. My question is because I bought two XZL 16.00R20's already on HEMTT wheels from GP so I assume they have runflats still in them. I'll use them for the singling out my M923 and will be steering tires so figured runflats will be a good thing. But with everyone tossing them, I wonder if I'm missing something.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Myself run flats were a good thing in a combat situation or you find yourself far from a good LZ. Running roads here in the US if I get a flat I am pulling over as soon as possible / good ground and change my tire. Would seem even with a run flat in the front it not going to be fun to drive very long and maybe not that smart. With the supply of wheels I do not even worry about doing damage to the wheel if I do have a flat tire. Keep your mirrors adjusted so with just a tilt of your head you can see all rear tires and kick them often when not driving.

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many thoughts on this.
Some do not like the added weight and inertia on the wheels. They tend to ride rough the first few miles after sitting up but then even out.

I personally have seen too many trucks on the interstate on their side from box trucks to semi.
Don't know the causes but some had blown out steer tires.

I run run flats on the front for just that reason. I like the perceived safety of another layer to keep me upright and safe. I NEVER want to test the theory.
Ymmv

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Runflats cause extra heat while at highway speeds. Tires get overheated and blow.

Secondly. Run flats in tires make it nearly impossible to get the water out of the tire for mounting. So unless they are storing them inside they will have to remove the run flat to get the water out.

Third. Not everyone wants the extra weight.

Fourth. The military reuses run flats. So not every tire surplus has them. Nor did they put them in every type of tire. Mostly just forward deployed trucks and gun trucks had run flats.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
I can vouch for runflats. I blew a right front 14.00 at the georgia rally a few years back during the “Hardball convoy” and despite the slight pull to the right, I continued on the trip, and drove back to the rally after lunch and swapped it out with a spare. Had it been just a bead lock, I’d have been in trouble.

I’m a firm believer in run flat inserts atleast up front, it’s a long drop and losing a tire around a turn on a 2 lane @ 55 can be harrowing. Also, if you don’t carry 2 jacks or plenty of cribbing it can put you in a bind with a flat being so low to the ground. Win-win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Myself I do not like to run older dated tires on the steering axle. On the 915A2 I bought new tires all round dated now at 2015 and the 1088 has newer all round and they are about ten years old even though that truck is a garage queen. Even my civilian trailers I get new after nine years.

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the inputs. It's the steering axles I'm concerned with regarding a blowout so would like to have runflats up front for all the reasons stated above. I'm not too concerned with the rears for obvious reasons.

Now I just have to make a decision about what tires I run up front. My choices:
1) Keep the 7-8 year old used Michelin XZL's already mounted on the HEMTT rims (I assume they have runflats since they came from GP). Tires have ~70% tread and look okay (no checkering, weather cracks, bulges, hardware embedded in the lugs, etc.)
2) Swap out the tires with 'new' unused 3 year old Goodyear AT-3As but then I won't have runflats. I know Simp has stated in previous threads the GY's don't get tore up as much on the front.

I'm leaning towards keeping the XZL's on the HEMTT wheels for runflats but then I'll have mixed XZL's and AT-3AT's on the rears as I only have 5 good XZL's. I thought mixing tires on the rears was a no-no since the AT-3A is an inch shorter in height (~2% shorter rolling distance) compared to XZLs.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
With all due respect, how do you know for sure you have runflats in your wheels? Almost all modern military tires use bead locks, but many do not have actual run flat inserts.

Others may chime in with alternative methods, but the lazy way I found to confirm is put a jack under one side of the axle, pull valve core to drain air, and slowly let jack down until the tire contacts the ground and begins to bulge, keep going until either
A) the tire stops about 4-6” into lowering, with a lot of sidewalk left to compress indicating you have a run flat.

Or B) the tire will continue to compress until the wheel is pretty much touching the ground indicating you do NOT have a runflat insert installed

Please note, if B) occurs, I recommend not allowing the tire to completely be crushed by the wheel flat onto the ground as it’s hard on the sidewalls unnecessarily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Drop it on the ground and pick it up. A normal sized man should be able to lift a hemtt wheel with a 395 or 1600 with no problem. With a run flat you might need a gorilla

Some have the runflat band on the exterior beadlock nuts

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With all due respect, how do you know for sure you have runflats in your wheels?

That's a fair question. I don't know for sure but I like your idea of letting out the air to see where the wheel settles. Much better on my back than Simp's suggestion!

Drop it on the ground and pick it up. A normal sized man should be able to lift a hemtt wheel with a 395 or 1600 with no problem.
rofl

I'm not a spring chicken anymore but I also believe I'm far from over the hill...but damn is it hard on my back to lift a 16.00 even with a regular combat wheel. I'm sure I'll hear my disks squirt out trying to upright one with a HEMTT wheel.

:tigger:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks