• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why the Deuce Doesn't Have These I'll Never Know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mightymanx

Horray!!!

I read it in full back in the day I won't be baited again I am still sorting out my air operated transfercase clutches I think they are worn. because it does not fully lock up.

:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

Rolling_Eudaimonia

I had a mog (for a short time)with a factory mounted central winch that fed out the front, tougher n **** that winch was though i never used it. A german guy made a cd on how to drive mogs and I had the orange one that was in that movie. that machine had central and diff lockers as well. why screw around makin a truck when you can just get one that works. That mog would drift like a sports car and move like the wind. But woa to you if you get that thing buried. More super fly stuff you got on the truck, the harder its gonna get buried and then u'r f&*%^$D!!!

I just got in from a nice relaxing cruise with the M35A3 around the patch and a short medium rpm jaunt up the road. I would say the modification I would make to the M35 is acid dip every component and lighten it up so I could carry more cargo such as hiking boots and Mre's for the long hike. keep the soft top so you can bail out of quick sand. oh and have one of those james bond batman cross bows with a cable and a power winch so you can anchor in a tree and swing out before every thing disappears into the quick sand.

I am drawn to this thread with the same fascination that I have with A$$ boyles that need poppin. I want to ignore them but they just keep popping up when i'm havin a nice time, just about completely forgotin about them and here they invade my thoughts again!

I think a bone stock M35 multifuel or the newer 3116 cat would have a good chance of making it. It's not the truck, it's the operator, if you go in stupid places, you are going to have stupid consequences.

:deadhorse::mrgreen::lost:aua:driver::cookoo::beer::hammer:
What exactly are the stupid places? This truck is inadequately outfitted and now that I have 1/3 of ARB Air-Lockers in my grubby hands the truck is getting better by the minute.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Why We Lock...

Let me start of by saying that my M35A2 is a blast to drive on the streets and off-road. However, I find it lacking. I find it sort of on the petite side of the off-roading world. It doesn't have much power. It's open differentials will leave you stranded in the wilderness sooner or later. The lack of CTIS will cause you the indignity of manually reducing air pressure to increase traction on soft-surfaces. How plebeian of the truck... And I know I've

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrJreMbsJvQ[/media]
Only if they made something that could help out in these sticky situations? (Air-Lockers??? we wouldn't want to sully our good names with such bourgeois filth as air-lockers on our American Steel now would we???)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kBmhNP-GQw&NR=1[/media]
I think they make devices that help out with these conditions... I think they are called Air--Lockers...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjoFC77ttLg&feature=related[/media]
Tough week for the Gimpster... Yeah you know again those pesky Air-Lockers would have been nice in that scenario..

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roB7lQe5MKg&feature=related[/media]
Do I need to put out more proof?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi8SlYGt0YM&feature=related[/media]
The Real Deal In OFF Roading... notice the Tatra with fully lockable differentials, and transfer cases oh and CTIS ( they are probably not using it much in these examples)...

So why am I crazy for wanting Air-Lockers in my M35A2? I mean every one of these videos of you boys getting stuck in the mud could have been avoid simply by flipping a switch on the dash and providing the truck with 100% positive traction left and right and front and back if the Transfer Case locks up (I'm still curious about the status of the Transfer Case's locking ability... I see a set of gears in the diagram that oddly looks like a differential.) But let's say it is a locking transfer case great it will make the drive train so much better.

So really why am I the crazy guy ? Every one of your videos showed the inherit inadequacies of the M35A2's basic design-- No Lockers. I hate to break it to you guys but areas you were getting stuck and having to run back and forth 3-4 or more times were not difficult areas to drive in. I mean those areas were sort of beginner areas for most Jeeps with lockers. And then after I left you spent another 10 pages bashing me about it... Only to post videos of your trucks looking like turds off road getting stuck in simple mud holes and basically not at all being impressive. This is after telling me that I was crazy and didn't know what I was talking about. The proof is in the videos the Tatra with the lockers does rock climbing and at insane angles and your videos are of you guys getting stuck. Still I'm the crazy guy because I want to get my truck to do more driving forwards and less backing up in simple terrain...

You guys don't have a clue as to what the M35A2 could be with air-lockers and more power. Perhaps one day i'll show up with my Super M35A2 "The Duke" and show you what off roading in a M35 series truck can be about.

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
One thing I learned a long time ago is 4 wheel drive just means you get farther away from help before you get stuck! That is why i have winch on my truck!

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Haven't we been through all this before?

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/29698-why-deuce-doesnt-have-these.html

it's better to add to a thread than start a new one on the same subject.

No, because the topic is not the same. Before I thought erroneously that you people might have some of the same questions about the M35's design short comings as I do. However, after reading 29 pages of your drivel about "air-lockers being too this or that", "the truck staying on pavement (that's why they can be turned off)" and so and so forth... I thought perhaps a small object lesson was in order! Perhaps, your very own recalcitrant experiences with the Open Differentials in simple terrain could be contrasted against the video of the Tatra T-813 series trucks in the truck trials where they do serious off roading. Plus, I just thought it would be fun to rub in the fact that serious off roaders use lockers and pretenders play with open differentials.

Last edited:
You guys don't have a clue as to what the M35A2 could be with air-lockers and more power. Perhaps one day i'll show up with my Super M35A2 "The Duke" and show you what off roading in a M35 series truck can be about.​
All of those years of fancy skoolin' didn't teach you poop.
Any machine can be improved, but as you modify systems and add components, the machine tends to be more prone to failure.
I would expand on this concept, but you don't seem to take advice well.
I guess I would much rather have my truck pulled out of a hole rather than having it flat-bedded home, due to a major failure. I enjoy my $1400 deuce as it is, it has yet to get stuck. I guess if I wanted a tank, i'd buy a tank. Good luck with your build, I will be looking forward to seeing it done. But until then, it's only a simple concept.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A deuce with chains will outdo a lockable (locked diffs) deuce on a slippery surface and the tire tread is not even an issue.
I'll check, but don't think they even permit the use of tire chains at some 4x4 off-road events because of the advatage.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
What are the costs (buying, maintaining, insuring) of the Tatra compared to the deuce.

I like to be able to get parts in a matter of hours verses days or weeks where an imported vehicle is concerned.

You can prob do a lot of improvements to a deuce for what you would spend aquiring a truck like that.

I like the K.I.S.S principle of the deuce also......I can fix most deuce problems myself using the TM's or the practical knowlege I already have......I'm too old to change horses in the middle of the creek.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

A deuce with chains will outdo a lockable (locked diffs) deuce on a slippery surface and the tire tread is not even an issue.
I'll check, but don't think they even permit the use of tire chains at some 4x4 off-road events because of the advatage.
Bjorn-- Chains are great. I plan on get enough for my truck's 3 axles. However, chains won't provide any traction for you when you have tires in the air. Did you watch the video of the Tatra trucks with axles in the air and moving up the hills still or being stuck at unholy angles and still driving out. That is what I want to do with my M35A2.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

What are the costs (buying, maintaining, insuring) of the Tatra compared to the deuce.

I like to be able to get parts in a matter of hours verses days or weeks where an imported vehicle is concerned.

You can prob do a lot of improvements to a deuce for what you would spend aquiring a truck like that.

I like the K.I.S.S principle of the deuce also......I can fix most deuce problems myself using the TM's or the practical knowlege I already have......I'm too old to change horses in the middle of the creek.
Tatra's can be insured... They are expensive because they are all class 7-8 trucks...

The point wasn't that I'm buying a Tatra ( I wish) the point is for about 10grand I will have a truck with capabilities approaching the Tatra trucks. I mean with Air-Lockers my M35A2 will have positive traction to all the wheels. And that will be great for off road driving.

Everyone one of the places that you guys got stuck in at Haspin would have been easily surmounted by a pair of reliable and affordable ARB Airlockers. You just would have flipped the switches and driven up, down, or through the obstacles. You do more damage to the drive train with constant pounding up or through an obstacle where loads rapidly increase and resistance is increased dramatically on the drive train. That is more wearing on a truck than putting in the air-lockers and using them correctly.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

All of those years of fancy skoolin' didn't teach you poop.
Any machine can be improved, but as you modify systems and add components, the machine tends to be more prone to failure.
I would expand on this concept, but you don't seem to take advice well.
I guess I would much rather have my truck pulled out of a hole rather than having it flat-bedded home, due to a major failure. I enjoy my $1400 deuce as it is, it has yet to get stuck. I guess if I wanted a tank, i'd buy a tank. Good luck with your build, I will be looking forward to seeing it done. But until then, it's only a simple concept.
Everything Fails eventually. Will lockers put more stress on my axles? Yes. That is why I plan on replacing them with stronger axles and gear sets.

If you enjoy your truck as it is. Great. Have fun.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn-- Chains are great. I plan on get enough for my truck's 3 axles. However, chains won't provide any traction for you when you have tires in the air. Did you watch the video of the Tatra trucks with axles in the air and moving up the hills still or being stuck at unholy angles and still driving out. That is what I want to do with my M35A2.
Agree that there are situations where lockers will help, but one has to learn to avoid those and if by accident you end up on a side slope, for example, there are other means readily available (winch or buddies with towing abilities). Uniquely, my HIAB crane has more than once helped by using it to shift the CG up hill simply by swinging it to the up-hill side to add traction to that side.

Lockers may also require special driving skills and may not be perfect for on-road applications...don't know...things can break...

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Agree that there are situations where lockers will help, but one has to learn to avoid those and if by accident you end up on a side slope, for example, there are other means readily available (winch or buddies with towing abilities). Uniquely, my HIAB crane has more than once helped by using it to shift the CG up hill simply by swinging it to the up-hill side to add traction to that side.

Lockers may also require special driving skills and may not be perfect for on-road applications...don't know...things can break...

But Bjorn.. That is where I want to be. I don't want to be on the flat and level.. I want to be on the edge of disaster with my truck... That is why I need the lockers. And yes lockers will potentially cause more breakage if you abuse them. However, using them correctly they will reduce strain on the truck from loading the truck and unloading it as you run into mud or whatever repeatedly in an attempt to get some where.

To me this truck at present is basically a mild off road truck. And I want to make it into an extreme Off Road Truck.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Conduct: SteelSoldiers.Com is designed to be a family-friendly and clean website. The forum discussions can be lively and informative without degrading into vulgarity. As a registered SteelSoldiers.Com member, it is your responsibility to make sure that you DO NOT:

• Post material that is intended to bait others to a conflict.

• Cross-post multiple posts or threads about the same topic. This includes either creating multiple threads about the same topic in multiple forums or the same thread repeatedly or posting the same post within multiple existing threads.

1958 M274

Rolling_Eudaimonia, lockers are available for your truck. Would they improve the M35s off road capability? Sure! Do most of the individuals on this forum have a need for them? Probably not.

If you want locking differentials in your truck, quit whining to everyone on this forum, and just buy some!

I'll look forward to seeing videos of your truck running circles around everyone else once you get all three lockers installed! Good luck!

stumps

Everyone one of the places that you guys got stuck in at Haspin would have been easily surmounted by a pair of reliable and affordable ARB Airlockers. You just would have flipped the switches and driven up, down, or through the obstacles.
Well, you might guess that would be true, but then mud is mud, and I get my skid steer vehicles (aka Bobcat) stuck in the mud all the time. And they are even better than lockers in that I can control the amount of torque, and the direction of torque, to the wheels instantly.

I agree with the others, all you will succeed in doing is getting stuck further away from help. 4-wheelers that only play with their trucks spend their time bragging about their engines, hubs and wheels, 4-wheelers that use their vehicles for work talk about their winches.

-Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks