• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why the Deuce Doesn't Have These I'll Never Know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SasquatchSanta

Ref your previous posts --- see below:

When are you making your 80% off-road bio-diesel deuce treck from the northern tip of Alaska to the southern tip of Argentina?

In the meantime it seems like all want to do is ask questions and then take issue with the answers. I'm not only fed up --- I'm also bored with it all. This is my last response to your posts.

Rolling Eduaimonia Wrote:

Any of you guys run your trucks on bio-diesel? it seems like it would be the most affordable means to drive this truck?

Also I want to put a winch on my truck, actually two winches one in the front and one in the rear behind the cab for rear recovery. I was thinking a DP 35,000lb front winch for the front and DP 50,000lb winch planetary hyd winches actually. Will the truck's frame handle these sorts of winches? I sort of have a plan for the truck later one to drive from the Northern Most Part of Alaska to the Southern most part of Argentina all on Bio-Diesel and at least 80 percent of the time off road. So I figure in South America I could use 25ton winch to pull my truck out of the mud in the rain forest and up the hills that snake around the Andies.
Rolling Eudaimonio Wrote:

Yeah I know the weight of the deuce is 13,050 lbs without winch, but I plan on taking off the rear cargo bed and putting on a lightweight tubular frame mount for the biggest possible bio-diesel and water (ADI actually) for a trip from Alaska to Argentina and where I plan on going there will be no roads. I want to be able to recover this truck when it is stuck in 2-4 feet of mud and weighed down totally. I might have to reinforce the frame some but the winches I've selected aren't that heavy. 930- 1000lbs for about 1930 lbs combined. I figure by taking off the rear bed and using a lightweight tubular structure I can maintain the max gross weight of 23,530 lbs. Also I plan on toting along 2.5 ton trailer also filled to the brim with Bio-diesel.
Happy Trecking

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to add my customary :popcorn: to this entertaining thread! Thanks!

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Alex400

This is an easy one.Cause Russia did not and still doesn't have roads to most parts of the country their trucks have to travel.And where there are dirt roads the soil is a a true swamp/Bog.OUR trucks are built to what they would see.Paved roads,Dirt roads of the Americas and europe where pretty much every war has been fought.We designed our equipment to work over there.Narrow enought to go through rail tunnels,work on their road ways,etc.As for the torque you wanna put through these.You might wanna look at other weak links.Like the axles.That much torque your gonna be blowing axles and diffs constantly.Not to mention the stock transmission.So basically,Your gonna have to replace the engine(to get the torque you want),Transmission,Transfer,Axles,tires,wheels......wouldn't it be easier to get a 6x6 Kenworth chassis and drop a deuce body on it?
you really think the 2.5 ton rated axles cant take this kind of torque? why? just because the military had have of that going to them doesn't mean they can't take it. Isn't there one guy on here with a built up 5.9 cummins and 53 tires in/on his deuce? if the axles can take that, I would assume they would be able to take what he is going to be doing on the street. now in an offroad situation where those bit tires get pinched in a rock and all that torque tries to break it out of there (especially with a locker) you have an increased chance of breakage. I think it would be able to take it. you would just have to watch it more off road when hitting the skinny pedal.

Last edited:

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
The v-100, with its M35A2 axle (W/Detorit lockers F/R, by the way) had some axle shaft breakage issues (at flange) behind a rather weak 361 gas engine. They added a shifter interlock to keep it out of low in 4x2. The V-150 solved the problem by using 5T axles.

So torque multiplication is a big factor. I'm sure shock loads are killers, too. Perhaps a 19 year driver, under enemy fire, hauling a full load of troops and suppies, on the fine roads found in late 60's S. Vietnam, may have had something to contribute too.

Last edited:

Elwenil

you really think the 2.5 ton rated axles cant take this kind of torque? why? just because the military had have of that going to them doesn't mean they can't take it. Isn't there one guy on here with a built up 5.9 cummins and 53 tires in/on his deuce? if the axles can take that, I would assume they would be able to take what he is going to be doing on the street. now in an offroad situation where those bit tires get pinched in a rock and all that torque tries to break it out of there (especially with a locker) you have an increased chance of breakage. I think it would be able to take it. you would just have to watch it more off road when hitting the skinny pedal.

The stock 16 spline shafts in the 2.5 ton Rockwells are the weak link. The rest of the axle is very strong but the axles tend to be brittle and snap even in lightweight rock crawling rigs. Ouverson Engineering makes some nice 16 spline alloy shafts to replace them as well as the awesome 2" shafts. Again it's a case of exceeding the intent of the original design. Plus if this guy wants all this heavy duty engine and transmission , he really should be using a 5 ton and not a Deuce.

oddnor

Steel Soldiers Supporter
out of it's Proportions

The thread so get out of it's Proportions.....

So back to the diff lockers.................

The air axle lockers was of the upgrade program on the M series truck during the 60' up to the last one made.

The air locker come at the same time so the air shift on the transfer, and Norway was one oft the country at the time so order new truck's, the first delivered in 1967 around 1500 was delivered

I have been digging deep and find that the M-62? series was made fore export, and out from the demand of other NATO country to movability, and tactical use as here in Norway.

The M-6 series is almost an update to the A2 except that the M-35 did not get the axles with air lock, only the air shift transfer.

Did find TM's from the 80's where the different between the trucks are written

The axle was out of production in the late 80, beginning of the 90's.

With the air lockers, the driver can engage lock on rear, and front axle.
Only front, only rear ore all in both high and low gear.

Also engage front axle drive when needed in all gears, to control of the truck inn at all times.The transfer is direct not floating so the power go direct to the axles

A good driver now that a loaded truck in bether than a unloadet one when it come to drive safly and have the amout of pressure to the road.

You can get stock with a tank, the meaning is to have nessesery tool on the truck to be able to have controll.

Dis find the TM with info foe the axle, and drive line. can tru to scan it if any want info.

Odd

Looking for an 5 ton tipper ore flat bed...........................:oops:

FreightTrain

Banned
Exactly.Think of the actual torque at the wheels after going through a Transmission in low,Transfer in low,and 6.72 double reduction Pumpkin.Your talking 6 tons at the axle shafts STOCK.That is taking into consideration 300FT/Lbs from a stock engine.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Ref your previous posts --- see below:

When are you making your 80% off-road bio-diesel deuce treck from the northern tip of Alaska to the southern tip of Argentina?

In the meantime it seems like all want to do is ask questions and then take issue with the answers. I'm not only fed up --- I'm also bored with it all. This is my last response to your posts.

Rolling Eduaimonia Wrote:

Rolling Eudaimonio Wrote:

Happy Trecking

Great to take things out of context... Someone said to me don't you think that the weight of the winches is too much for the tuck. I had a plan to keep the weight of the truck about the same as it should be on or off road by removing weight like the big heavy bed, and other things that wouldn't be needed. As for the winches i still think 35k lbs is the perfect size for this truck. It is almost twice the truck's weight so if the truck gets really stuck it should be able to break it free. That is just as long as the load doesn't exceed 70k lbs. I would put that up front when one needs to move the truck through the mud, the truck absolutely won't go forwards.

The 10,000lb winch on the truck at present is rather underrated. I've gotten plenty of things stuck in the mud when I was kid and I know this if you want to move a 3,500lb Jeep CJ5 out of 20 inches of mud you need 7,000lbs of force minimum. If the truck can get some traction than 7,000lbs will do the trick. However, if the truck is totally stuck and not budging an inch backwards or forwards then one needs at least 10,000-12,000lbs of force to move the out of the mud.

It's not that I don't like the answer... Often you don't answer the question. I still believe that Bio-Diesel is the best fuel option for the M35A2 if you want to drive it alot. It just isn't feasible for a guy who lives in a 1100 sq ft apartment on the second floor to do in his place of residence.

oddnor

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Almost forgot , there is an safety option built in, the shifting fork will break if the torque is to high, and the lock will disengage on the front axle, and on the rear the shaft break.

Capt.Marion

I've watched you guys run around in circles about the multi-fuel aspect of the engine spewing misinformation like it is manna from heaven.
Welcome to Steel Soldiers.

You ask a question, you get lots of answers. It's your job to sort through them and pick out the useful from the hot air. Kinda like doing actual research...

Last edited:

Elwenil

The 10,000lb winch on the truck at present is rather underrated. I've gotten plenty of things stuck in the mud when I was kid and I know this if you want to move a 3,500lb Jeep CJ5 out of 20 inches of mud you need 7,000lbs of force minimum. If the truck can get some traction than 7,000lbs will do the trick. However, if the truck is totally stuck and not budging an inch backwards or forwards then one needs at least 10,000-12,000lbs of force to move the out of the mud.
You obviously aren't used to working with larger US military trucks. Damn near everything on there is underrated, meaning, the rating for that winch is pretty low compared to what it will actually pull. Don't compare them to the crap Warn makes and other commercial winches. The winch on the Deuce is rated very conservatively.

Anyone have the link to Lee's thread about pulling out that piece of construction equipment handy?

EDIT: Apparently Lee's thread was posted over at The M715 Zone since I can't seem to find it over here. Damn...

Last edited:

FreightTrain

Banned
Actually,Warn and the deuce winch are not rated in the same manner in any aspect.Civilian load ratings are Rolling load.A 10K Civy winch will pull a 10,000lb trailer rolling free.So the actual pull might be a couple thousand pound.The Military rating is actual Force on the cable.Plus you can use a single block to double the 10K pull to 20K...then another to get 30K,etc etc.The stock 10K I would say is enough to pull a Large Locomotive.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
No Tim, he's talking about the one where he used the deuce to pull a tracked vehicle out of a mud pit with 3 or so snatch blocks.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can get any deuce out with a deuce winch. It's adequatre for the intended job. I wasn't told this and I didn't read it either, it's from real world experience. FWIW, the front axle weight on a multifuel deuce with winch is near what the stock 900x20 tires are rated at. Adding more weight would exceed the tire ratings.

Elwenil

No Tim, he's talking about the one where he used the deuce to pull a tracked vehicle out of a mud pit with 3 or so snatch blocks.
Yeah, it was right after Lee got his Deuce and he pulled out some sort of wheeled crane sunk up to the axles in mud. He used a snatch block, but it was still very impressive for a Deuce winch. I'm more than a little sure the post on The Zone got lost in one or more forum crashes and I don't know if Lee still has his site up anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks