• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why the Deuce Doesn't Have These I'll Never Know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATC

I'm tired of popcorn. Anyone want to join me at the Chinese buffet?

(sorry...I've been itching for some Chinese for a week now...)

Alex400

I'm tired of popcorn. Anyone want to join me at the Chinese buffet?

(sorry...I've been itching for some Chinese for a week now...)
sounds good, i need some barbeque pork and some hot chinese mustard with sesame seeds to clear my sinuses. lol

Got quite a few good chinese places around my house. a couple good thai places too.

JohnnyReb

:deadhorse:This is so appropriate for this thread.. poor horse..

Here's more popcorn for all...
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Like what?? What does designing an airplane have to do with designing a truck. I know we all wish our dueces could fly.

He could always build his additions/ modifications out of aircraft grade aluminum or composites. Put that big think tank of his in action.

I thought it was the squeaky wheel. I've been so wrong all these years. Atleast someone learned something useful from this post.
rofl:cookoo::tin hat::stir pot:

Finally, Who was it that had it on their posts, "Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience"?

I introduced that concept to this board many moons ago.... and, by golly, cross swords with me and I will use all my experience on you!!!!!!

Yarb

Originally Posted by Yarb
Rolling_Eudaimonia

I have a graduate degree in systems engineering from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University with a specialization in hardware, aircraft systems, etc. I mention this because it's relevant to what you are about to read.

Like what?? What does designing an airplane have to do with designing a truck. I know we all wish our dueces could fly.

No, genius. But there are enough commonalities within systems engineering categories to understand the principles. Regardless champ, I was trying to make the point that no system or vehicle can do or be everything. There are trade-offs, and taking that into account that the M35 is very well designed.

Last edited:

Kwai

The Gospel according to REO:

1. In the beginning was the M35, and the M35 was the truck, and it was good. And behold the Lord said, "Thou shalt not muck about with my disciple REO's design, for it is good and it worketh. For REO made the M35, and lo all of its trucks, from the designs which I, the Lord, gave it upon the mountain.

2. "And shouldst thou muck about with it and hang all manner of foul implements upon it, and profane its internal parts, thou shalt surely have malfunctions, and in the midst of battle thou shalt surely come to harm."

The REO engineers designed the deuce based on the military experience in WWII and Korea. It's a happy truck because it is truly successful at the tasks it was designed to do.

When the "Doctor" is done with his DT466 powered deuce with the Fuller 6-speed and Oshkosh 55000 fully-locked transfer case and stuck up to his air-locked axles with broken half-shafts in a bog in Alaska because the plan is to travel on roads only 20% of the time all the way to Argentina, and unable to reach his 35k winch to move the cable to the forward position to move the truck because the truck is attached to a trailer filled with bio-diesel and even if he did he couldn't move the truck because in a bog there is nothing substantial to latch onto and he forgot to bring extra wood and a spare wheel to create a winch anchor, he's going to start calling his truck "Rolling_Cacodemonia".

Srjeeper

When the "Doctor" is done with his DT466 powered deuce with the Fuller 6-speed and Oshkosh 55000 fully-locked transfer case and stuck up to his air-locked axles with broken half-shafts in a bog in Alaska because the plan is to travel on roads only 20% of the time all the way to Argentina, and unable to reach his 35k winch to move the cable to the forward position to move the truck because the truck is attached to a trailer filled with bio-diesel and even if he did he couldn't move the truck because in a bog there is nothing substantial to latch onto and he forgot to bring extra wood and a spare wheel to create a winch anchor, he's going to start calling his truck "Rolling_Cacodemonia".:doh:

:funny:

[thumbzup] Now there's a movie I'd pay to watch :jumpin:

rmgill

I do have to point out that the personal attacks I'm seeing on this thread aren't so nifty. I expect better of this forum. I can stand more political conversations with out people descending to attacking people personally based on some sort of impeachment of their positions based on their background and not on the facts. argumentum ad hominem are a logical fallacy.

The M35's transfer case does NOT have a differential in it. Look at the exploded parts diagram for it in the -34p. If you can identify a differential function where the power is divided between front and rear, then DO SO. If you cannot you cannot.

The differentials are in the axles. When you lock in the front axle, either with the sprag automagically OR with the air shift, you're coupling the front axle input shaft to the rear axle input shafts. They'll turn, locked together and won't vary. If you can't rebut this technical point in a MORE technical manner, move on.

Rebut the technical points guys, don't rebut the fact that this or that person is or is not educated in a certain way. You keep to that method and you'll get your ass handed to you in a technical conversation at some point in the future.

SasquatchSanta

Something I was never able to get my head wrapped around is how anyone could actually believe they could make a "treck" from Northern Alaska to Southern Argentina and stay off road 80% of the time. Imagine trying to do so just in Texas, let alone everywhere else.

Over the years I've been over just about that whole Alaska to Argentina route and I can say that you would either end up robbed and bleeding along the road, in jail for tresspassing, shot dead by a farmer for tresspassing or snake bit from attempting to stretch a cable.

Be it in Alaska, Alberta, Texas, Mexico, Costa Rica, Columbia, Equador, Peru, Bolivia or Argentina. Somewhere, a property owner is going to take issue with having ruts acress their fields, fences knocked down etc.!

I've been in places in Equador and Peru where I didn't want to get out of the vehicle let alone step off the road. The Amazon is not a place where you want to streth a cable.

I've always been amazed how such a hair-brained fantasy coming from an educated man.

Beam me up Scotty

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Something I was never able to get my head wrapped around is how anyone could actually believe they could make a "treck" from Northern Alaska to Southern Argentina and stay off road 80% of the time. Imagine trying to do so just in Texas, let alone everywhere else.

Over the years I've been over just about that whole Alaska to Argentina route and I can say that you would either end up robbed and bleeding along the road, in jail for tresspassing, shot dead by a farmer for tresspassing or snake bit from attempting to stretch a cable.

Be it in Alaska, Alberta, Texas, Mexico, Costa Rica, Columbia, Equador, Peru, Bolivia or Argentina. Somewhere, a property owner is going to take issue with having ruts acress their fields, fences knocked down etc.!

I've been in places in Equador and Peru where I didn't want to get out of the vehicle let alone step off the road. The Amazon is not a place where you want to streth a cable.

I've always been amazed how such a hair-brained fantasy coming from an educated man.

Beam me up Scotty
People say that all the time about people who make treks where others have dared to go. It can be done. The problem isn't that hard and I figured I wouldn't exactly be going alone. It is publicity stunt to build awareness for the viability of bio-desiel fuel. And I'm still planing on doing it.

I figure with a road crew of 8 person, a convoy of trucks, a documentary crew from Discovery Channel and so on along with sponsors this is a doable trek. For brevity's sake I didn't outline the entire plan but the point is to take one bio diesel truck the M35A2 drive from Alaska to Argentina 80% of the time off road document it all. ANd show the world that it is possible to do so.

SasquatchSanta

When I got back from Vietnam in the spring of 69 a buddy and I decided that we were going to roll a keg of beer from the Pitcher House in Hermosa Beach California to Dirty Nelly's Pub in San Antonio Texas. We sobered up on the outskirts of Anaheim and decided to go to Disneyland instead.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I got back from Vietnam in the spring of 69 a buddy and I decided that we were going to roll a keg of beer from the Pitcher House in Hermosa Beach California to Dirty Nelly's Pub in San Antonio Texas. We sobered up on the outskirts of Anaheim and decided to go to Disneyland instead.
Dangit Ernie, you owe me a keyboard. I spat soda all over the darned thing reading your post/stunt! (side hurts)

Status
Not open for further replies.