• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why the Deuce Doesn't Have These I'll Never Know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
When I got back from Vietnam in the spring of 69 a buddy and I decided that we were going to roll a keg of beer from the Pitcher House in Hermosa Beach California to Dirty Nelly's Pub in San Antonio Texas. We sobered up on the outskirts of Anaheim and decided to go to Disneyland instead.
rofl

Rolling_Eudaimonia

They said the Land Rover Treks in Burma and South America were fool hardy. They said it was insane in 1979 when the Dakar Road Rally was first started that no one would want to do it. Look at all those examples they have paid off big time. The fact is that being bold is dangerous, yes, but this trip is totally plausible both from a geographic stand point but also from a technical stand point as well.

If you used staging areas across North and South America you could do it easily. There is plenty of federally protected land from Alaska to Mexico's border that you could really drive nearly 80% of that time on either Canadian or US Federal Land. And well Central and South America is just underdeveloped but it is very possible to drive across it safely.

Remember they do make maps GPS and so on so this not like Cortes searching for a city of gold. This would be a far more planned exhibition.

Alex400

They said the Land Rover Treks in Burma and South America were fool hardy. They said it was insane in 1979 when the Dakar Road Rally was first started that no one would want to do it. Look at all those examples they have paid off big time. The fact is that being bold is dangerous, yes, but this trip is totally plausible both from a geographic stand point but also from a technical stand point as well.

If you used staging areas across North and South America you could do it easily. There is plenty of federally protected land from Alaska to Mexico's border that you could really drive nearly 80% of that time on either Canadian or US Federal Land. And well Central and South America is just underdeveloped but it is very possible to drive across it safely.

Remember they do make maps GPS and so on so this not like Cortes searching for a city of gold. This would be a far more planned exhibition.
are you going to put a bigger fuel tank on it? You are going to want more range/reserve if you are going to be making this kind of a journey.

Last edited:

JasonS

Something I was never able to get my head wrapped around is how anyone could actually believe they could make a "treck" from Northern Alaska to Southern Argentina and stay off road 80% of the time. Imagine trying to do so just in Texas, let alone everywhere else.

Over the years I've been over just about that whole Alaska to Argentina route and I can say that you would either end up robbed and bleeding along the road, in jail for tresspassing, shot dead by a farmer for tresspassing or snake bit from attempting to stretch a cable.

Be it in Alaska, Alberta, Texas, Mexico, Costa Rica, Columbia, Equador, Peru, Bolivia or Argentina. Somewhere, a property owner is going to take issue with having ruts acress their fields, fences knocked down etc.!

I've been in places in Equador and Peru where I didn't want to get out of the vehicle let alone step off the road. The Amazon is not a place where you want to streth a cable.

I've always been amazed how such a hair-brained fantasy coming from an educated man.

Beam me up Scotty
I don't understand it, either. I live in farm country and there are fences dividing up everything. What makes you think that there is a semi-continuous stretch of land that folks will let you travel on? Do you think that they will let you tromp all over their crops? You will be arrested for trespassing up here.

For my own information, what degree did you say that you were pursuing? Will it pay well enough for you to do this?

donkdonk

An hour of my life has just been wasted reading this thread.

I had all of these things I was planning on pointing out. It was going to be great.

Then somewhere about half way through the thread I realized that he is just having a good time with all of this. Nothing more.

Self proclaimed philosopher, "lover of wisdom", but has not listened to ONE SINGLE THING that the group knowledge has produced.

Fraud.

I feel cheated. Abused. Raped.

Hammer

From all the popcorn we made to watch/read this thread, if we saved all the butter, we would have had enough bio-diesel for his little trip.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Something I was never able to get my head wrapped around is how anyone could actually believe they could make a "treck" from Northern Alaska to Southern Argentina and stay off road 80% of the time. Imagine trying to do so just in Texas, let alone everywhere else

Make it amphibious and drive in the Pacific. You'll avoid fences, traffic, bandits, toll booths, mosquitoes, snakes(maybe), tire wear, and Dirty Nellie's.

You Really need a Stalwart. With 4 tonnes of snacks and beer in back you could do it non-stop. You'll get a free ride down the N. American coast current, and again at the Horn. (Maybe grab one of those tall pine trees in Oregon for a mast....). Bring a pole and call it a fishing trip.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

[/i]

Make it amphibious and drive in the Pacific. You'll avoid fences, traffic, bandits, toll booths, mosquitoes, snakes(maybe), tire wear, and Dirty Nellie's.

You Really need a Stalwart. With 4 tonnes of snacks and beer in back you could do it non-stop. You'll get a free ride down the N. American coast current, and again at the Horn. (Maybe grab one of those tall pine trees in Oregon for a mast....). Bring a pole and call it a fishing trip.
I'd by a boat for that trip... No it has to be on the surface of solid planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.