• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why will my sending unit not shut off?

Lonesome715

I took my 87 Air Force deuce for a drive around the block today. It has been sitting for a couple of months at least. When I returned I noticed the sending unit was still running. I gave it a little while to see if it will shut off on its own and it did not. I had to end up unplugging it. What causes this problem and how can I repair it?

mhassett

I have an 88 Air Force duece. What sending unit are you talking about? What did you unplug? Need more info.
mhassett

DieselBob

That would tend to indicate a bad master switch. The fuel pump is driven directly from the switch unless there is a difference in the AF version of the electrical system. Do the oil pressure and water temp go to zero when the master switch is off.

Lonesome715

Sorry about that. I was not thinking. I am referring to the fuel sending unit. O pulled the three prong lug on top of the fuel tank. I did not noice if my guages were off or not. Which master switch are you referring to?

DieselBob

According to the wiring diagram I have it would indicate that for some reason your master switch is not breaking the connection between terminal "A" and "B" inside the switch. Terminal "A" is circuit #11 that is the hot feed into the master switch and terminal "B" is the feed out of the switch, circuit #27 to the instrument panel, starter switch, light switch, etc including circuit #654 to the fuel pump.

Lonesome715

Well, all seems fine now. No the starter did not kick on with the master switch off. But I did go ahead and start the truck and let it idle for a few minutes. I then shut it down and the sending unit shut down with it.

DieselBob

You got me on that one. :rolleyes: It is a very simple circuit and I don't see how it could back feed from another circuit. If you want to send me a PM with your email address I can send you the wiring diagram if you like.

Lonesome715

I have no idea either. I know strange things happen, but ****. I wonder if it will do it again. I do not start or drive this truck very often because I cannot afford to get it legal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks