• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why your transmission leaks oil

stutzcattle

I am guessing this dude did NOT read any of the post.. just seen the name and posted a question. By the time it took to type his question he could have look at the post and figured it out.

Same stuff different day......
Ok, sorry westech. I am a little new to this and couldn't figure it out even after I read the whole, entire thread. But, I appreciate the help the following poster provided.

SMOKEWAGON66

I got two sets for 2 bucks....... Swap meet.
:roll: rub it in! lol...if we had swapmeets around here that i knew of i would go... still 18 bucks was still WAY less then i thought id ever pay for a complete gasket set for anything...ever! lol

Last edited:

Prankster

I quit using those paper gaskets long ago! Now days I use paint because it works much better. I brush on a nice thick of coat of enamel on both faces, and let it dry. Then I bolt it back together. I have never had a leak afterwards.

I even use paint on the threads of my bolts as a thread locker.

Westech

CPL
I quit using those paper gaskets long ago! Now days I use paint because it works much better. I brush on a nice thick of coat of enamel on both faces, and let it dry. Then I bolt it back together. I have never had a leak afterwards.

I even use paint on the threads of my bolts as a thread locker.

The problem with that is on the trans the gaskets are used to set preload and proper distance between parts.... RTV or "Paint" will not hold the correct size and presto... Junk.

Prankster

Question?

The problem with that is on the trans the gaskets are used to set preload and proper distance between parts.... RTV or "Paint" will not hold the correct size and presto... Junk.
Is preload something like heel, and toe on a ring, and pinion?

As for junk,.. Are you saying the transmission will suffer?

PS. Many times I have read about the problems pertaining to the Deuce transmission. So far I am running in the pink but it worries me that we are all in the same boat.

Lately I have been doing a lot of research on the Eaton Fuller Road-Ranger. They seem to vary from a 6-speed, to 18 gears.

The Allison 1000 also looks promising too!

Forgive me, but I am not a OEM kind of guy. If I can fit a truck with a better part for a better price then I am good to go.

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the position of internal parts is set by the outer ring on the bearings. not by the front or rear housing. there is no preload on anything as in some other transmissions. however if you do not use a gasket and overtighten the bolts, you may break the housing since the flange may not be suported.