• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WI DOT HELP

kx250m1

frustrated!!!! I hate the dmv, I just had to get that off my chest, anyways, I went to my local dmv, and they said they cant title and license my deuce because of the weight, they only title and license up to 8000lb light trucks, and 12000lb farm trucks, now what type of plate do I apply for? I live on a farm, it will do some farm work, but mostly just sit and look pretty, should I get the heavy farm truck plates, or collector plates, any help is much appreciated, and any help, or past experience dealing with the wisconsin dmv would be much appreciated, by the way they didn't tell me they couldn't license it until I sat there with my number for an hour, would have been nice to know at the beginning :evil:

jimm1009

HELP I am probably not but I have an idea.

Compare the cost of Farm Plates to Antique Plates (generally 25 years old or more).
I would call the DMV main office in the state capital or e-mail them and ask them if there is a Prestige Vehicle registration available in WI.
I am in another state but some state employees are not aware of all of the rules.

In the the state of Louisiana, we can register a former military vehicle by using the military VIN as the "License Plate Number" and there is no actual license plate issued.
The vehicle must be former military, appear to be military, and have the numbers stenciled on the front and back in accordance with military regulations. The registration is a one-time thing, does not matter what the vehicle weight is, and is permanent. Now this is only for collectors of military vehicles used for hobby and not for commercially used trucks (for hire). Most of these are not DOT spec and DO NOT have air brakes. They are hydraulic brakes with "air assist". You have to remind them of this (probably several times) although I would not mention "Air" at all in any of your conversations to them.
I would say that 90% of the people that work for this state in offices related to vehicle registration are not even aware that the rule(allowance) exists and some police too, as I keep the printed version of the law with me at all times while on the road.
Back to my point though, if Farm Plates are cheap, compare the restrictions for Farm Vehicles (usually pretty loose) to other options in your state. This may be the most painless way to go but you will have to decide that.
Good luck, and post your end results as many of us are interested in these matters too.
Jim

jimm1009

Reading is fundamental. I did not originally see the 12,000 lb. limit that you very clearly put into your post.
Too much enthusiasm against Big Brother, I guess.
There must be a way for your to register this truck as you are a legitimate owner of a former military vehicle and would probably call yourself a hobbyist as I do.
There must be a way so keep us informed.

Jim

bonshawman

1) Either use a search engine or try "www.dot.wisconsin.gov" and you will find the DMV site
2) There are links to Wisconsin chapter 340 which defines vehicles (and use)

MY read is that, in Wisconsin, ANTIQUE is pre-1945.
COLLECTOR is can be a truck @ less than 8K, or farm @ 12K
Deuce doesn't qualify for HOBBYIST tag

I didn't spend a lot of time reading the site (I am in Florida) - but perhaps the answer you seek is in there somewhere.

Good luck !

Monty

I'm going to title my 5ton with heavy farm plates,the 20k plates will run you $89.00 per year, 16k plate is $70.75. There are a few restrictions but as long as your on a farm and using the truck for some farm activity you can get farm plates on it.

Don't go with collector plate, they top out at 10k and since your duece is heavier than that those won't work. Also collector or hobist plate won't allow you to carry or tow more than 500lbs.

If you go to the DMV like any other business you have good people and bad people that you'll deal with, I know that the DMV in Milwaukee has a lady that i hope to get next time I go there since she always goes above and beyond to make my experiance as pleasent as possiable. She copied the prices for farm plates/weight and gave it to me, if you need a copy I can scan it and send it to you or we can meet somewhere and I'll give you a copy.

Take care
Chad

tamangel

Wisconsin DMV

wasn't there a problem with the "Pinz' guys along this same line, re: no reg for ex-mil vehicles?

Here's a couple of links you may be already aware of.. I noticed in the 'fees' section, they do mention 'trucks - less than 26K in weight in some instances or greater than 8K in others'

collector plates:
http://www.dot.state.wi.us/drivers/vehicles/personal/special/collecto.htm
collector reg form:
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/forms/mv2323.pdf

hobbyist plates:
http://www.dot.state.wi.us/drivers/vehicles/personal/special/hobbyist.htm
hobbyist form:
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/forms/mv2388.pdf

General WI DMV chaper index:
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/lawbook.htm
commercial DL's:

Commercial DL's:
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/drivers/apply/types/cdl.htm

Vehicle registration fees:
http://www.dot.state.wi.us/drivers/vehicles/veh-fees.htm

refusal of registration:
http://www.legis.state.wi.us/statutes/stat0341.pdf (check section 341.10(6) per the pinz site

good luck

Mike

“Entire new continent(s) can emerge from the ocean in the time it takes for a Web page to show up on your screen. Contrary to what you may have heard, the Internet does not operate at the speed of light; it operates at the speed of the DMV.”
Dave Barry

bonshawman

RE: Wisconsin DMV

It seems the battle is often around WEIGHT or # of AXLES, and seldom about USE, which is (in my opinion) where it should be.

As a member of the Historical Truck Association, most fellow members don't use their larger trucks as daily drivers, but they go to a lot of shows.
Some members here use their MV's on their farms or ranches, or for other recreational activities or projects - some use them only for display or parades.

But if we are NOT using them in a COMMERCIAL ENTERPRISE, and they are not creating a problem for our neighborhood (such as falling apart, emitting noxious odors or noise, etc), most of them are of a VINTAGE that they should be considered the same as any collectible vehicle...so it is not a Packard or a 56' Thunderbird.

In Florida we have slowly been able to add "former military vehicle" in with "fire apparatus" in certain areas, to better codify their place in the "collectible" family. Now, for example, in Florida as I stated you do not need to display your tag on a "former military vehicle" (with some restrictions and guidelines). It is a slow fight, but step-by-step, it can be won.

I tell people that my military trucks are my testimony to the men and women of the Armed Forces who have served and sacrificed for our country, and for nations around the world. I look at them, squint one eye, and say something to the effect of "So...you support our military...?"

That is NOT the true debate, it is about some silly zoning rule, but as a member of the MVPA, and as a member who frequently goes to local parades and events (we have a very active club), I can prove that my vehicles are used to honor the military, and in these tough times, support our troops.

I say to these "inquisitors" - "when you drive down the road, do other motorists honk at you and give you the thumbs up ? Do strangers come up to you in parking lots and say they have a family member who served, or is serving, and they appreciate seeing the truck ?"
Of course, they say no (I don't think anyone has ever said to code enforcement that they appreciate seeing their truck...).

So then, again, I say, "so what problem do you have with the military and showing support for our troops ?". They say, "well, it's the law or the regulation"....and then I say "you mean the ones that our military defends along with our way-of-life ?". Sooner or later, they get the point. And if THEY don't, then the local paper will.

undysworld

Hi Guys,
Paul Underwood here from Wisconsin. I'm the guy with the Pinzgauer who first wrote in here, months back. I too own a Deuce and run Farm plates.

Excellent questions.

According to Paul Nilsen, WisDOT Asst. Gen. Counsel, WisDOT/DMV's policy of refusing to register either ex-military or noncomplying (no federal label certifying compliance with FMVSS requirements) began on 12/19/06 with DMV memo BVS-06-10

The policy is based on an interpretation of s. 341.10(6) Wis. Stats. to mean: any vehicle lacking a FMVSS label is an "off-highway vehicle" and therefore cannot be registered.

http://nxt.legis.state.wi.us/nxt/gateway.dll?f=templates&fn=default.htm&d=stats&jd=341.10

Heres a link to that statute. You read it. Does it apply to ON-ROAD vehicles? I don't think so.

My Appeal Hearing before the Dept. of Admin. is on July 14, 2008, to determine if DMV was wrong to cancel my registration, based on 341.10(6).

Here's a real kicker: My Pinzgauer (all Pinzgauers really) were imported over 25 years old. Federal law makes these vehicles EXEMPTED from FMVSS regulation.

If they took away my registration on a federally exempted vehicle, what do you expect them to do to non-exempted vehicles?

Also, WisDOT/DMV took away my registration AFTER FIVE YEARS OF OPERATION!! Wisconsin Statutes only require record retention for the first 5 years. I was lucky to be able to reconstruct the documentation, most people couldn't do so. But even with a letter from US DOT/NHTSA stating that MY truck, identified by VIN#, is exempt, DMV still won't give me my registration back.

I'm not writing to ask for your help. My hearing is where I'll talk.

I'm writing to raise the red flag, that WisDOT/DMV is acting ILLEGALLY. My truck was first, but they're coming after US ex-military next.

Actually, they already cancelled HMMV registrations last year for a Beaver Dam guy and refused to register a 1943 Jeep for an Appleton man last year. The '43 Jeep was made 25 years BEFORE the FMVSS regs. even became law!!!!

Forget about picking your choice of license plate (Farm, Antique, Collector, etc.). If WisDOT/DMV won't register your truck, you can't operate it PERIOD.

Call/write to your Senator and Legislative Rep.
Find their addresses here: http://www.legis.state.wi.us/senhome.htm

We all need to be fighting NOW to keep this from making all ex-mil vehicles illegal.

Otherwise, prospective citizens like 98hd will have to sell their trucks in order to move here.

BTW, drivers from out-of-state can still drive their vehicles anywhere in Wisconsin. It's just the taxpaying voters of Wisconsin who cannot drive their Pinzgauers on Wisconsin roads. Nice huh? Wait till it's all US surplus ex-military trucks too.

Scream loudly people. It's your rights that are being trampled on.

Remember, this country was founded by people who wouldn't stand for a government that acted "just because we can". There's no reason to put up with it now.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Paul
http://www.wisconsin-pinzgauers.org/

gonorth

Well, this is a depressing thread. I am in Minnesota, with vacation propert in Wisconsin, planning to move to Wisconsin soon and just bought a Duece.

Any new news on this subject since July '08?

Good news and bad news, no problem registering my Deuce in Wisconsin. Check online for a list of service center services, some service centers will only register light trucks & cars. I registered mine collector, one time fee. Now the bad news, Viking fans can not register a coaster wagon in Packer Land. So before you go to the DMV put on some green & gold then rub a Bratwurst under each arm.:p Good luck.
P.S. Don't tell them it is a MV, say cargo truck color green. The less they know the better.

M1key

P.S. Don't tell them it is a MV, say cargo truck color green. The less they know the better.
I just got mine registered in WI. It is registered as a 1958, Reo, Green, Pickup, w/16000 GVW.

I opted for collector plates and received them a month after I sent them the following:
#1. A registration from Alabama with someone elses name on it.
#2. A bill of sale from the guy I purchased it from.
Thats all and they titled it for me! No inspection or anything!

My Uncle bought a M211 with a clear WI title and the State Patrol had to inspect the truck before they would issue him plates or title, figure that out

Sometimes I badmouth the Wisconsin DMV but they were nice to me this time.

gonorth

" Now the bad news, Viking fans can not register a coaster wagon in Packer Land. So before you go to the DMV put on some green & gold then rub a Bratwurst under each arm." FUNNY :!:

Don't worry, no Viking fans in my household. I am originally from the Green Bay area. (Two Rivers) Just temporarily transplanted in MN for 32 years. We all bleed green and are all right around #16,400'th position on the packer season ticket waiting list. I stand a better chance of being allowed to buy a second deuce than I do ever geting season tickets.