• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WI title denied. Options?

cruz

well I got my first title denied, do I have any options, other than find a parts deuce with a good title. the guy at the dmv said I could get a title for "off road use only" but that isn't much help.

the letter I got stated I needed a picture of the "meets federal standards" tag which I don't believe a deuce had.

any help is appreciated, I would just go try again at a different dmv however they have all of my sf-97 documents.

thanks in advance for your help.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have a title from another state? If it's just a 97 form you may try a title service. Also trying different DMV locations may help. It's worked for me.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
They have your original documents?, I would demand they return them if they are going to refuse to title your vehicle, then get GL to issue a Florida title, or go to a title service. Wisconsin really sucks lately for MV owners. . . :evil:

wsucougarx

I was under the impression that WI revoked all post '60's MV altogether previously titled or not. Definately join MVPA and see what they're doing to combat this issue in WI

poof

Dirty Hippie
What year is the deuce?
I was thinking it must be PRE 1968 to be exempt from "meets federal standards tag"

The new rule I guess.. might find some one that has a pre 1968 deuce and trade ( trucks)paper work and data plates.. we all know the ARMY did it.:wink: or just drive to the U.P. and become a resident there, get a michigan DL and tag it ... then commute to work in Wisconsin

Last edited:

SuperiorRam

ok so im in the process of getting a 69 deuce and it will have a mn title that i will transfer to wi am i gunna get shafted too i called three title services monday and none can work through Maine any more and one said bring it to Alabama or some where and he can register it only and provide a registration card to title it in WI... WTF

BugEyeBear

I'd say title it in a different state OR use a title service.

GA doesn't issue titles for anything 1963 or older.
SO I am forced to use my MI address to title any of my cars that fall into this category.
Fortunately MI is very easy to deal with when getting titles for older cars!

Do you have a friend in MI whose address you can use?
(you will need MI no-fault insurance though...)

Just a thought...

GOOD LUCK!!

-Bear-

98hd

I'd say title it in a different state OR use a title service.

GA doesn't issue titles for anything 1963 or older.
SO I am forced to use my MI address to title any of my cars that fall into this category.
Fortunately MI is very easy to deal with when getting titles for older cars!

Do you have a friend in MI whose address you can use?
(you will need MI no-fault insurance though...)

Just a thought...

GOOD LUCK!!

-Bear-
This is what I'm planning. I just sold my house in MI (and will be a WI resident soon), but still have "Camp" up there. I've been told that if a vehicle stays mostly in another state it should be registered there.

CatMan

In Wiscosnin, we are in the middle of a fight with the DOT that began in 2007.

Do a Steel Soldiers search of "Wisconsin DOT proposes MV ban" to see my last update on the situation.

Briefly, the Wisconsin DOT is trying to create a rule that would prevent any vehicle built after 1968 from being registered for use on highways unless it complys with the ALL the safety provisions of the National Transportation Safety Act of 1966 (Took effect Jan 1 1968). US manufactured military trucks do not comply with NHTSA. They are built to military requirement.

The DOT is trying to prevent registration of Motorized Bar Stools, modifed golf carts, Dirt bikes, Imported Japanese non road mini trucks and all sorts of other vehicles considered to be a safety issue on highway in everyday driving.

Military Vehicles get cought under this rule. Doesn't matter what documents you have. The DOT / DMV position by current state statute is this. 'Any vehicle that is not compliant with the requirements of NHTSA is regarded is an "Off Road" vehicle and WI by law does not register off road vehicles for on road use.

Complain all you want. Vent all the emotion you want. Point all you want about the military using them on road Etc Etc. Beleive me, I've heard it all!!!

The DOT admits that their own local DMV offices are very inconsistant in issuing registrations. Until the new proposal called "Trans 123" becomes law, new truck owners with a title from a different state or a SF97 / Fl Title from GL have been successful going to their local DMV office in person and getting a title and registration (That is two seperate transactions). This was confirmed as late as last week. We have also confirmed that the DMV legally cannot deny you a WI title. They may deny registration (plates).

Don't say "military" in the transaction with the DMV officer. And yes, if you send in the application it will be rejected. They should return your original documents. They keep a photo copy.

We are working with the legislature on behalf of Military Vehicle Collectors to create a special catagory for Historic Military Vehicles similar to Ohio, Kansas and Florida. This will come with some restrictions. The vehicles must be unmodified and used in Parades, Public Displays, club events and for normal maintanence and testing only. No, you will not be allowed to haul anything more that 500 lbs. The DOT is not willing to allow unrestricted highway use of these vehicles.

Contact your Wisconsin Representative and Senator and tell them you are not infavor of the DOT rule Trans 123 proposal because it is too restrictive.

We will have a bill with a number in the next few weeks. I'll post that here so you can call your legislator. The option of putting standard commercial plates on an MV in WI is likely to end very soon. Registering it under a collector catagory will likely be the only option.

We have met with the DOT attorneys many times, have heard all the arguments on both sides and the DOT has a pretty strong legal standing here.

I and others are working on behalf of several Wisconsin based Military Vehicle Clubs and the MVPA to create a workable solution.

Call your Representative!!!!!!

Thanks

Cat Man

BugEyeBear

This is what I'm planning. I just sold my house in MI (and will be a WI resident soon), but still have "Camp" up there. I've been told that if a vehicle stays mostly in another state it should be registered there.
Yes, most states will tell you that you need to register vehicles in the state where they are garaged.

BUT in my case I'm primarily interested in 1st getting a title. Once I have a title I can reg it anywhere & the MI title is still valid. (i.e. I can get a MI title & MI reg & MI plates 1st, then GA reg & GA plates later...)

I also have a few cars that are VERY RARELY driven. So since I have valid addresses in both GA & MI I simply choose to keep these reg'd in MI. This allows me to take advantage of the MI "Historical" vehicle tags & reg fees that are only due once every 10 years!

OH, & I've titled & reg'd several cars in MI w/o having a current MI driver's license. As long as I can supply a valid MI address & MI No-fault insurance they are more than happy to supply me w a MI title & MI plates. I've even requested that they send the plates to my "temporary" address in GA, and they were happy to accommodate!

Again, in my case I DO have valid addresses in MI and in GA, so I'm merely taking advantage of this dual residency.

But if someone who was a WI resident were to "oh I don't know..." store their 2nd car at a relative's house back in MI for 6.5 months of the year I suppose they'd be justified in having it reg'd in MI. Just a thought...

Works for me!

-Bear-

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely thank God for the MV freedoms we enjoy in Texas, among his many other kind blessings. Believers could ask His help with the stubborn beaurocrats and I'm not ashamed to suggest it. A good offensive has more than one prong.

poof

Dirty Hippie
Wisconsin dot to propose mv ban, ,DOT rule Trans 123 proposal

link to thread mentioned above. for referance

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/politics-related-mv-hobby/37990-wisconsin-dot-propose-mv-ban.html

Thank you cat man. I will keep an eye on this waiting for more info.

"Contact your Wisconsin Representative and Senator and tell them you are not infavor of the DOT rule Trans 123 proposal because it is too restrictive.

We will have a bill with a number in the next few weeks. I'll post that here so you can call your legislator. The option of putting standard commercial plates on an MV in WI is likely to end very soon. Registering it under a collector catagory will likely be the only option."

J.P.:roll:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely thank God for the MV freedoms we enjoy in Texas, among his many other kind blessings. Believers could ask His help with the stubborn beaurocrats and I'm not ashamed to suggest it. A good offensive has more than one prong.
:ditto:God Bless Texas.... And we're askin' Him to help y'all in WI, too :!:

Daniel WI

Just Liscensed a 66 Duce on 8/27 with no problems. Take a road trip up to LaCrosse/Onalaska WI and try this DOT center...

Good Luck,

Daniel
WI.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks