• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WI title denied. Options?

Melvinitis

HELP!!!
For two years now (interupted by 18 month deployement) I have been trying to get my M1028 CUCV regsitered and licensed. I keep getting denied because teh fed cert is bleached out.
What can I do?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
HELP!!!
For two years now (interupted by 18 month deployement) I have been trying to get my M1028 CUCV regsitered and licensed. I keep getting denied because teh fed cert is bleached out.
What can I do?
A wonder if someone makes a replacement decal. Since the truck does have a Certificate, replacing it shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:

Tanner

Nice to note that the trucks aren't allowed to haul more than 500 lbs... a 3-man crew consisting of a driver, a 250 lb passenger & 251 lb passenger makes you illegal...

Wonderful...

Good luck gents -

'Tanner'

trukhead

Wisconsin titling

I have been reading threads and fretting about my recent purchase of an M35A3. Continued reading and searching allowed me to stumble upon this site:

Wisconsin Historic Military Vehicle Bill Update

and if I understand this correctly, I will be able to register and title my M35A3. I have an understanding of this law that leads me to believe that I will be able to operate my Deuce in the way I imagined. It was not intended as an every day driver. To me, it was intended to be kind of, a 4 wheeler with 2 extra wheels on steroids. And it was less expensive than a new 4 wheeler. I sympathize with those desiring to use the larger vehicles in a commercial manner. I had a passing fancy to aquire a 5 ton wrecker and M916 or M920 for giggles but am reconsidering although not have completely discounted the idea.
My sincere and ample thanks go out to those who fought and won this ground for Wisconsin military vehicle enthusiasts. I had no idea this was an issue in 2009 as I only recently discovered the military vehicle hobby and bought My M35A3 before I realized titling it and registering it was in jeoparady. I plan to join a club or clubs and send them membership dues when I find out where they are. Again thanks a ton, no 2 and a half tons off road, 5 tons over the road or 10 tons if your feelin lucky!!!!
:beer:

Melvinitis

GM Contact
Okay, let me ask this, does anyone have a GM contact to get a letter stating the vehicle was built to USDOT specs? WIS DOT is telling me if I can get GM to say it was USDOT compliant, then they will give me a tittle.
I did get all my stuff back fromt hem, thing is my wife filed it all real well.

jimm1009

It is actually in the VIN. The first digit is "1" which means it was made for US Highways.
1= USA.
jimm1009

I just called the toll free number for GM; 800-222-1020
They gave me two other numbers that I could call that specialized in vehicle specs.

1st; 905-440-7697 / 2nd; 905-440-7689

They can probably help you. In the mean time, I will look in my genuine Chevy maintencance manual tonight after work where it breaks the VIN down and describes the digits and their meaning. I also have the genuine microfich that GM produced for teh CUCVs that has it too but finding a reader these days is a challenge.

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

May 12th, 2010.

Melvinitis & Co:

See thread on here about the "Game over in Alabama" about issues with registering an M35A3 there. Turns out David Doyle located for the man a copy of a letter from the head of the Federal NHTSA saying that all military vehicles are exempt from all compliance to Federal safety and emissions standards, being only governed be the Federal contract specifications, with that exemption transferrable to later owners. This resulted in an order from the head of Alabama's DMV to the local office to register the said M35A3.

The applicable Federal code is:
NHTSA Regulations, 49CFR 571.7(c)_"Military Vehicles. No standard applies to a vehicle or item manufactured for, and sold directly to, the Armed Forces of the United States in conformity with contractual specifications".
See also: letter; TO John M. Tolliday--President,Dayman USA,Inc (Bedford, Va.), From: John Womack, Acting Chief Counsel NTSHA, a letter of interpretation where the NTSHA again says there were no standards and any restrictions (like "off road use only") wording placed on the vehicle by the US Govt. would not bind the buyer or subsequent owners. Kudos to David Doyle, may his name be ever blessed.(David Doyle: What is the file and date of the said letter so that it can be cited if needed?)

The Wisconsin MVPA groups rolled over and played dead to save their hanger and trailer queens :cookoo:, now it remains for the rest of us to make the bureaucrats recognize 49CFR 571.7(c) as it applies to all military vehicles for use on the roads.
[thumbzup]
Good luck, maybe the light will shine into the Democratic People's Republic of Wisconsin before long, otherwise a lot of folks are gonna be SOL.

Last edited:

jimm1009

I read the CFR and I hate to be the bad guy but that reads as there is no help there for MVers.
This simply states that there are no standards for vehicles built for US Military except the contract that produces said vehicles.
To me this hurts because the vehicles meet no DOT requirments / standards.
Does anyone else see it (49CFR571.7(c)) this way.
I am not an expert but I do read 14CFR-xxx all the time which is DOT, code of federal regualtions, Aviation rules (amongst others).
If the "letter" that D.D. found / received reads a different way that can be really good for us.
Any other opinions here? I don't want to cast doubt but it does read pretty easy which was someone's mistake in the government because they don't want us to ba able to read and understand the rules by ourselves.
Please help me understand if I am way off here. Attached is the exact rule as it is published for public access in PDF format.
jimm1009

Attachments

Last edited:

stumps

"No standard applies" means that no standard applies to military vehicles. It is a prohibition against any of the standards in the CFR being applied to military vehicles.

-Chuck

Melvinitis

Jim1009, thanks for the numbers, I will give them a try.
I got an email from one of you saying you have a sticker for the filters, that is not the problem, we are talking about the door jam sticker that has the vin, mfg date, and says built to US standards (when I was overseas I saw Chevy trucks saying built to UAE standards, which are not good enough to be driven on US roads). I have to prove to WIDOT that my 1028 was built to US specs. The TM has some great stuff, but that TM means little to the bosses as WISDOT. The clerk I am working with is on my team, but they have been burned by people registering tracked vehicles and other odd stuff, so all Mil surplus stuff ahs to goto the registration department head for blessing first.
I will call those numbers JIM1009 gave and see if I can get GM to help out... I will report back!

Wolf.Dose

I'm to far away from Wisconsin, even last week I was there, too know all the tricks of registering a vehicle there. And without reading me through all the statements I think you are missing the sticker that says: This vehicle conforms to with the list of the FMVSS which apply.
One problem for them might be the sticker that says: This vehicle is exempted from the emission requirements of the model year, however the EPA emmission conforms to the year of manufacture.
And one more thing, your truck seems not old enough to register it as a vintage vehicle or a collectors vehicle.
Visit the Wisconsin Automobile Museum at Hardfort/WI and you will find vintage vehicle plates on vehicles which for shure will not fullfil any actual requirements. But they are vintage. There is also the possibility of register as a collectors vehicle, for I saw this possibility on the parking lot of John Deere in Horicon on vehicles which here in Germany would be taken out of trafic due to rost problems.
Wolf

jimm1009

Ya CUCV's don't rust!:roll:

Seriously though, the military did require GM to galvanize the insides of the panels on the trucks.
I cut out a small part of the vertical panel in cargo area to do a repair on the outer skin and behold, galvanized interior.
Did not STOP rust but sure must have slowed it down some.
sorry to jump off topic....

jimm1009

eisenhe

Don't hold your breath with the WI DMV. I showed up with a valid California title to transfer and they refused to convert it. I took it all the way to the "expert" in Madison and they said no way.
As much as I dislike it, I recommend having an out-of-state friend or relative title and plate it for you. You'll still be paying fees to DMV, it just won't be the WI DMV taking your money!

Wolf.Dose

My M1009 died of rust, front inner fenders rotten away even after 2 repairs, cab mounts rotten away, rear end rotten away, tailgate full scrap in the lower end, shock mount on the rear left torn away and rewelded in place by myself, front mask a desaster after 20 years, just rust, radiator twice rotten to leaking , wheel bearings worn out ( three times changed in front, once rear), rear axle after 2 oil radial seal changes still dripping, propellent shafts several times rebuilt by a professional (eys worn out finally), transfer rear seal permanantly leaking even with brand new seals (no NOS, realy new).
Neede new shocks twice, for the old ones became air pumps, even Rancho.
That with only 235,000 miles on the truck.
Beside, one engine died with a twice broke crankshaft after 157,000 miles, a broken injection pump at 1620,000 miles.
Is that standard or did I have a so called Monday truck?
So why do you not find rust on a CUCV, when ex factory the frame and the axles are not paited. I cleaned and painted mine when I got it in 1992, just 4 years old.
Wolf

jimm1009

Wolf,

Es war ein Freitag LKW. Jeder wollte damals für das Wochenende nach Hause bekommen!

jimm1009

(It was a Friday truck. Everyone was wanting to get home for the weekend!)

qbubba51

here's a good one, i bought my duece from a guy with collector tags here in wisconsin. I wanted to put regular truck plates on it. go to the DMV in milwaukee give them the paperwork, I explained what I wanted, filled out the paperwork they gave me, went to the counter and gave them the paperwork they gave and got truck plates. Simple enough until i got pulled over by a county mountie who said my truck is only liescned as a 2.5 ton truck. Now I have to go to court to fight a $177 ticket. I am still waiting on my collector plates to come thru. That cost me another $262 dollars. Thanks Wis DMV.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks