• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

widsheild glass

Crash_AF

Tempered is the type in the side windows... the tempering causes it to shatter into the little cubic pieces all over the place. It is NOT acceptable for windshield glass.

Later,
Joe

ems4ty

I had a local window shop cut me a new Laminate Windhield for about $25.00 to $30.00. My M35 Windshield dimensions are 16-5/8" by 26-3/4" and its 1/4" thick. This is for the window pane only and is that actual size of the glass that needs to be cut.

Hope that helps!

nattieleather

Gimp...yeah what Crash said.

Laminate glass as you know is two pieces of glass laminated together with a clear plastic sheet in the middle. If the glass breaks it keeps the glass from seperating and therefor keeps you safe.

Tempered glass is glass that has been tempered. This process allows the glass to shatter into many little pieces instead of a few big pieces. If you get gut by 1/4" plate glass it will slice right through you, but if you get cut by tempered glass you will only get little tiny cuts.

Tempered is stronger than regular glass, but think of it this way... Your driving your vehicle down the road and the guy in front of you kicks a stone about the size of a quarter out of his tires so your windshield gets hit by rock going 60+ MPH (maybe more like 100) and you have laminate glass. The window cracks but stays together...you cuss and vow to take revenge on that guy. But if the window was made out of tempered glass the rock would hit the windshield, break it and at 55 MPH the million little pieces fly into your face, eyes etc. Plus you now have nothing between you and the road....

Oh and because it's an MV it's raining and of course by Murphys law the water is dripping on your foot... :)

DSD277

Automotive glass was where I started with 35 years ago. And first off, not all laminated glass are legal for windshields (in the US). Windshields are made of AS1 laminated, and door and backglass can be AS2.The primary difference is the plastic film laminated between the glass. If my memory serves me, the film in AS1 must be .030" thick, thinner films are rated as AS2,
I have been supplying DOT labeled glass for the Pinzgauer and SBU Mog groups for a few years now. Though been refined a little ( and glass improvemets), US autoglass standards haven't changed much since the '30s. This is not true for many European MVs, where I have seen tempered windshields in mid '80s Unimogs and '70 era Pinzes.

I will see if I can find the post regarding the use of laminated glass and why ( the post above addresses one reason). I had explained this in detail to the Mog list, as European had arguments for tempered windshields, but in the end, laminated was the best choice.
(edited, insertion)
This is one thread of windshields from a Mog group
http://www.mogmsgexch.com/viewtopic.php?t=33797&highlight=autoglass

This a post that I had made to the Pinzgauer forum regarding autoglass, tinted glass in particular
http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/viewtopic.php?t=2312&highlight=autoglass

Dave Dunn

dabtl

Just take the frame to the glass shop. They put it into the frame for less than $50 here. I took out the old glass, cleaned and painted the frame first.