• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Width to outside of wheels

riderdan

Hi again,

Super excited to have just purchased a HMMWV. It's a 1988 four-man soft-top setup. I'll post pictures once I get it home.

On that point, could someone tell me EXACTLY how wide the vehicle is to the outside of the wheels? The local rental place has equipment haulers rated at 10,000 lbs GVW, but they're not deck-over. It's exactly 6' 10" between the fenders, so I need to figure out if the humvee can squeeze between or if I need to find another option.

Help! I need to sort this out quickly, as I'm supposed to pick the truck up Friday in Tennessee.

Thanks!

Carrera911

It has been posted many times but it's 82 inches IIRC. I used u hauls 3 times and had to unbolt the right fender to fit them on. That option is 60 dollars a day for reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeaverett

My wheel lift on my tow truck is 7 feet wide. Mine sat about 6feet 10 inch or slightly less.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

NormB

It has been posted many times but it's 82 inches IIRC. I used u hauls 3 times and had to unbolt the right fender to fit them on. That option is 60 dollars a day for reference.
Good price, even a ten day round trip would be less than the (roughly) $1000 being quoted for shipment. Would still need to borrow a friend's dually (my Tacoma just isn't going to do it, even with the tow package).

But which fender? You mean the trailer's, right? I'm not dense, I just haven't seen or heard this before when the topic's come up.

Norm

riderdan

Thanks guys,

It turns out that an equipment trailer isn't an option--they don't have a tow vehicle and my Silverado can't pull the humvee and a trailer :-( And I can't get UHaul to rent me a car hauler, because they also say the truck isn't up for it (not the load, the trailer). In any case, I wouldn't be comfortable lying to the rental company, because if something bad happens, the consequences aren't worth the $200 I'd save.

So I guess I'm going to look for other options. Anyone ever driven a humvee 700 miles? :) I think I once rode in one across the whole of Germany (an eight-hour trip which I recall other-than-fondly) but that's not quite the distance I need to go.

D

Last edited:

ryanruck

Thanks guys,

It turns out that an equipment trailer isn't an option--they don't have a tow vehicle and my Silverado can't pull the humvee and a trailer :-( And I can't get UHaul to rent me a car hauler, because they also say the truck isn't up for it (not the load, the trailer). In any case, I wouldn't be comfortable lying to the rental company, because if something bad happens, the consequences aren't worth the $200 I'd save.

So I guess I'm going to look for other options. Anyone ever driven a humvee 700 miles? :) I think I once rode in one across the whole of Germany (an eight-hour trip which I recall other-than-fondly) but that's not quite the distance I need to go.

D
Just an FYI, Enterprise has 3/4 and 1 ton trucks you can rent and, their mileage rates give you the first 300 miles free then only $0.29/mi after.

I wish I'd have known that before I rented a U-Haul box truck to tow my trailer and paid their insane $0.79/mi, with no free mileage, to pick up my truck.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys,

D
In a month or so ill be back in KS. Ive got a gooseneck and a 1ton dually. Im willing to go with you if you pay for the trip - food,fuel,motel, etc.

I think your timing requirement kills this, but thought id throw it out there...

riderdan

In a month or so ill be back in KS. Ive got a gooseneck and a 1ton dually. Im willing to go with you if you pay for the trip - food,fuel,motel, etc.
I think your timing requirement kills this, but thought id throw it out there...
Thanks for the offer. The seller is anxious to conclude the transaction, so I'll probably borrow a truck to pull the equipment hauler or drive back.

I'm in McPherson (about an hour north of Wichita)--let me know if you're going up or down I-135 and maybe we can meet up.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
and my Silverado can't pull the humvee and a trailer :-( And I can't get UHaul to rent me a car hauler, because they also say the truck isn't up for it (not the load, the trailer). In any case, I wouldn't be comfortable lying to the rental company, because if something bad happens, the consequences aren't worth the $200 I'd save.
First of all, I don't understand how your truck won't handle it. I have a 6 cyl Silverado (2016) and I towed a HMWWV back from Ft Bragg on my 2,000 lb (empty) trailer. Never really knew it was there. Balanced load and brakes took care of everything. I have had to lie to U Haul every time I needed a trailer before I just bought my own. Its up to you, but I just tell the counter help what they need to hear to properly check a box on the computer. Don't over think it.

Or ship it. You "could" drive it 700 miles, but the chances of problems and the exponential costs associated with catastrophe on the road just don't add up. JMHO, but I have done a few, as have others.

Sintorion

I mistakenly fell for the 'it's 82 inches' statement that is posted here many times. I rented a BigTex car hauler because it is 83" fender well to fender well. I probably should have measured because mine measures 85" from sidewall to sidewall. I 'stretched' the fenders slightly getting it on and off. I had to line it up perfectly, but it rolled right up. Luckily the trailer I rented was old and had more than a few dings so they didn't notice the fenders. If I had to do it again, I would probably stack some 2x6s to get over the fenders. Once on the trailer it fit nicely and pulled just fine through the flats of fla pulled by a 5.7 tundra. This trailer had surge brakes. If I were going through hills, I would probably look for one with electronic brakes.

Carrera911

Good price, even a ten day round trip would be less than the (roughly) $1000 being quoted for shipment. Would still need to borrow a friend's dually (my Tacoma just isn't going to do it, even with the tow package).

But which fender? You mean the trailer's, right? I'm not dense, I just haven't seen or heard this before when the topic's come up.

Norm
Yes the trailer fender. I was in a hurry one day to get it back by 5 and didn't torque all the bolts back down. I swear a few weeks later I saw a uhaul fender laying in someone's yard. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk