• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wieght limits for military tires

jbird3898

I have just added a dump kit to my duece and hauled 8 loads in it the 1st weekend I had it. The only problem I was concerned about was the load range of th stock tires. I know i am only supposed to put 5 ton in it for road use but like always I was over loading alil. Does anyone think i will have a problem with blowout or anyother saftey concerns with these tires.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The tires will have a weight rating on them. If you go over it, you can shorten their life. Super singles are rated higher.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Side of the tires is stamped with load ratings, one for single use, and one for dual use. That is per tire. I thought 9-20's, in a dual setup were 24,000 lbs for the rear. 3,000 lbs per tire, times 8 tires. Think back of a stock deuce is 5-6000 lbs empty.

Jake0147

Good advice above...
I think the biggest problem that "aged" tires will give you is speed. Flexing makes heat. Fast flexing makes lots of heat, slow flexing makes very little.
To overload a tire in a controllable, off road, lower gears type situation, no worries, These tires are tough. You aren't going to weaken or harm them by overloading in that context.
On the road however..... when they get old sometimes they'll pop just to make sure that you're on your toes. You really want to watch the ratings, and you really want to feel the tires, frequently at first. Old bias tube tires do run warmer than new stuff, but when they reach their limit they start heating up a lot. I figure the front axle when empty is not overloaded, but loaded pretty well, so I use those as a reference for my limit. I havn't reached it, or even close to it, but that's where I set my limit.

FWIW, I just looked at several brands of 9.00-20's that I own, all state 4000 pounds single, 3510 dual.